User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs down Virginia DOT "fixes" 81

Interesting article here. I can't believe the state is considering buying 2 truck stops and closing them!

VDOT mulls fixes for Exit 150
The interchange linking I-81, U.S. 220 and U.S. 11 is famously snarled with heavy truck traffic.

By Rex Bowman
777-3523

In an effort to untie the traffic knot at Interstate 81's Exit 150 -- known to madden even the most mellow of motorists -- the state's transportation agency may close the northbound Exit 150A off-ramp.

The move -- with funding now available but still years away -- would force northbound motorists on I-81 to take Exit 150B, the long, looping ramp that runs north of the Travel Centers of America truck stop in Botetourt County on the east side of the interstate.

The Virginia Department of Transportation is preparing to show the public six possible solutions to the area's traffic problem on Thursday.

Five of the fixes under consideration call for closing the 150A off-ramp, while the sixth proposal under consideration calls for the state to simply buy the 13-acre truck stop and another 2-acre truck stop across U.S. 11, close them down, and keep the traffic patterns the way they are.

Shutting down the Travel Centers truck stop and the Pilot Oil Corp. truck stop would eliminate a major portion of the truck traffic along the road that currently contributes to daily traffic tie-ups in the area.

Tom Liutkus, spokesman for Travel Centers in Westlake, Ohio, said the company would have to evaluate all the plans before determining which is in its best interest.

Botetourt County Administrator Jerry Burgess also said county officials haven't studied the alternative proposals in enough detail yet to comment. "We're still digesting them."

The six proposals being looked at range in cost from an estimated $11.8 million to an estimated $21.6 million, said Heidi Underwood, spokeswoman for VDOT's Salem office. The agency has marked $20 million for the project, but the money won't be available until 2015 under the agency's current funding plan. Public hearings would begin in the spring of 2011. Even though there's no construction money in the budget until 2015, the transportation agency has targeted the spring of 2012 to begin work.

Underwood said VDOT engineers and Botetourt County officials have been meeting since November to develop the plans. They came up with 10 possible ways to solve the area's traffic problems, then whittled the 10 down to six.

According to documents VDOT plans to show the public Thursday at a 5 p.m. informational meeting at Lord Botetourt High School, the options break down this way:

* Proposal 1 would close the northbound Exit 150A ramp. Also, southbound motorists on U.S. 220 would no longer be able to use that road's northbound entrance ramp onto the interstate. Only northbound motorists on U.S. 220 could access that on-ramp. A second on-ramp for northbound I-81 traffic would be built north of the Travel Centers truck stop, running from U.S. 11 to the interstate. The cost would be an estimated $11.8 million.

* Proposal 1A is similar to Proposal 1, but it would also include a median strip on U.S. 11 north of U.S. 220 to prevent left-hand turns into the truck stops' parking lots. The truck stops would be acquired. The total cost would be an estimated $21.6 million.

* Proposal 1B calls for the state to acquire the truck stops and do nothing else. The cost would be an estimated $13.7 million.

* Proposal 3 would also close the northbound Exit 150A ramp. Northbound interstate traffic would exit at 150B, but instead of having to turn north or south on U.S. 11 at the end of the exit ramp, motorists could travel across U.S. 11 and move southeast along a new "loop road" to finally come out on U.S. 220 east of U.S. 11. A new on-ramp to the interstate would be built north of the truck stop. The project would cost an estimated $21.4 million.

* Proposal 3A would be identical to Proposal 3, but would also include a median barrier along U.S. 11 to prevent left-hand turns into the truck stops' parking lots. The project would cost an estimated $17.5 million.

* Proposal 4 would create a new interstate on-ramp north of Travel Centers and close the on-ramp on U.S. 220. It would cost an estimated $11.8 million.

VDOT mulls fixes for Exit 150 - Roanoke.com
Old 08-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Yup - plain to see that VA wants to get rid of trucks completely. Since they closed the rest area's and trucks are still there, they've gotta buy the truck stops and make a shopping center now.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Board Icon

What a joke, we are becoming the California of the East real fast. VDOT can't fix the roads due to budget constraints but they can spend money buying up property and claiming to fix the road in the process.........

On I-95 at US 17, VDOT is in the process of installing height camera's and sign boards that will flash some message to you. Placing them on North and Southbound 95 and on 17 to the East side of 95. Trucks have a tendency to hit the overpass coming under 95 since it's only 14-0. Lord knows what the cost is going to run on these jokers. They can place these but can't keep the rest stops open? They can go around placing new road signs all over the place but can't re-pave the roads? I've seen hundreds of new signs pop up over the last 3 months that were not replacing old run down signs, those were still in place, they were simply putting up new signs in new places just for the heck of it.

Last edited by Mr. Ford95; 08-25-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Senior Board Member

On the serious tip... I don't think no one would miss them truck stops!! Especially the Pilot... That TA stay's a cluster fuc 24 7!! But that intersection is completely a mess at Rush Hour.. Especially when dumb truck drivers ignore the sign in yellow that completely says "TRUCK STOP TRAFFIC USE 150A"

I seen this just the other day when i was leaving the Roanoke wal mart down on 220A sitting at the light to go onto 81 Two Freightliner Classic XL Flatbeds tying up traffic trying to get into the turning lane to go to the T/A or Pilot!! Sad, if they enforced the rule they had none of this would be happening!!

I swear it sucks to be in VA, and who ever said VA is turning into the CA of the East Coast is a Fair Assessment
Old 08-26-2009, 01:04 AM
Senior Board Member

I use the T/A on occasion (for fueling only, the hell with trying to park there). The Pilot - I *TRIED* to go in there once - at 2am and the pumps were backed out into the highway.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Senior Board Member

whenever i had a 10hr break somewhere in virginia, along i-81, i made sure to stop at that one dinky truck stop 45 miles south of roanoke. i don't remember the name of the small ass town. all i know is that there's a dairy queen across the street and the lot was usually half full at any given time. after delivering in the dc area, i'd make me way alllllllllllllllllllll the way back to tom's brook and shut down at the love's. there wasn't any way in hell i was gonna to to the dump in jessup.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Senior Board Member

I have to relay loads at that T/A from time to time. I would then concluded that, if the truck stop is gone, I won't have to relay loads there anymore.

I went to that Pilot once and only once, around three years ago. Never again.

They can just dynamite the whole damned intersection and start over again as far as I'm concerned.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 08-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post
whenever i had a 10hr break somewhere in virginia, along i-81, i made sure to stop at that one dinky truck stop 45 miles south of roanoke. i don't remember the name of the small ass town. all i know is that there's a dairy queen across the street and the lot was usually half full at any given time. after delivering in the dc area, i'd make me way alllllllllllllllllllll the way back to tom's brook and shut down at the love's. there wasn't any way in hell i was gonna to to the dump in jessup.
Amen on that **** at Jessup!!! I have went pass my 14 hr just to get to a wal mart farther south!! But the truck stop i think your referring to is either the little truck stop in Radford at Exit 109 that was at a BP or the one that has that Breakfast Place inside of it called the Omelet Shoppe!!
Old 08-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
Amen on that **** at Jessup!!! I have went pass my 14 hr just to get to a wal mart farther south!! But the truck stop i think your referring to is either the little truck stop in Radford at Exit 109 that was at a BP or the one that has that Breakfast Place inside of it called the Omelet Shoppe!!
yeah, it's the bp with the omelet shoppe. the townsfolk gave me strange looks when i walked into there. i got that children of the corn feeling while i was there for my 10.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post
That's the Lancer at Exit 101, near Dublin. The DQ across the street is inside a Citgo station, if memory serves right.
I agree that, as sorry as the T/A and Pilot are at that exit, that shutting them down won't do any good. As it is, Roanoke (or Salem, for that matter) could use another truck stop to spread out the amount of folks looking for a parking spot. I lucked up at the T/A yesterday, and found a spot at about 1900. However, at the Pilot across the street, all of those spots were taken, as were the fuel islands.
That interchange just isn't physically large enough for the amount of traffic it needs to handle.