User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Securing LCD TV in a Cascadia

We had a 19" LCD tv from Target we bought about 7 or 8 months ago we took off the stand and strapped in our company cascadia (the stand was too big and ineffective). In a truck move the other day I managed to drop it so now we're in the market for a new one that is a DC type but i'm running into the problem of how to secure it.

On the previous cascadia I attempted to use the factory crappy strap installed in the truck but that didn't work (especially since the tv was awkward fitting) so I could use some other suggestions... and pictures would be helpful. I'm trying to stick to the LCD as our Vucube and directv looks good on it (i'm a technology snob) but the wife thinks the 13" CRT sold in truck stops is the way to go since it straps down easier than trying to figure out a new way to strap the LCD tv. Any help here would be appreciated.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:05 AM
Board Regular

If this is your own truck, why don't you get a wall mount and mount it at the foot of the bed? I saw pictures of someone doing just that not that long ago, but of course trying to find that now is going to be like finding the needle in the haystack.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Board Regular

it's a company truck.. but i thought of the same thing today while in walmart. i'm looking for some pre-existing screws/holes I might be able to use for this purpose but at of yet i haven't been lucky.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Board Regular

Don't use straps, as straps will inevitably loosen. I learned that the hard way when on my very first maiden trip as a brand new driver years ago, I had to back my trailer and truck through a fairly deep ditch to get into a dock. How’s that for a first solo trip?

Anyway, while I was passing through that ditch with my truck and with my trailer angled out at about 45 degrees, I heard a loud slamming noise. When I briefly stopped for a second to look back to see what had happened, I saw my brand new TV had crashed down on the floor because of the severe tilt of my truck as I passed through that ditch and was now laying on the floor. In any event, even though it made a very loud slamming noise when it crashed, luckily the TV continued to work afterwards. Nevertheless, I learned my lesson though.

The moral of the story is never trust straps alone because inevitably they will loosen in time due to the shaking and vibration of the truck. Use bungee cards instead, since they will hold your TV much more securely.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Board Regular

If you have a double bunk, maybe you could rig a bracket on the top bunk, at the foot of the bed, without it being too obvious when you get out of the truck that you had something mounted there.

Something on a hinge possibly, that folds up underneath the top bunk?
Old 08-11-2009, 02:10 AM
Board Regular

yeah thats a good option if I can figure it out. Wife brought it up just before I rechecked here too.. We're brainstorming to see if it would be functional at all. Great ideas so far.. what else you got?

On the other hand, I might just go with the 15.4" COBY AC/DC tv Pilot sells for 229. It looks like it will fit in the space and tilts down towards the bunk in the tv cabinet. Its not the size I want but I guess i'll have to settle for functionality.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:29 AM
Board Regular

RV Flat Panel TV Mount | ModMyRV
Old 10-15-2012, 12:14 AM
Rookie

I know this is an old post but here it is anyway, I haven't set mine up yet but have a plan, on the passenger side window cover in the bunk, I plan to use a piece of plywood cut to the shape of the cover, attaching matching snaps to the plywood hoping that will be strong enough to hold it in place. Then can easily mount any universal flat screen mount. Plan is to place the plywood over the window cover matching the two snaps on the top and two on the bottom.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Senior Board Member

loaderman, someone here recently posted about this - see this thread: http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/a...v-problem.html