User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
Just wondering who would be in the chit if your truck is impounded and driven from the scene and while bying driven gets into an accident??? They didn't have your permission to drive it and I'd bet that legally they can't just drive it away( think grand theft). I'm sure your insurance company would't pay for the accident and ferther more they would also have to pay damages on the truck, HMMM stupid way of impounding a truck.

Whomever the person either repo-ing or impounding the truck would have to pay for any damage if they crash it. Your insurance would not cover it, their insurance would have to pay for it and they are supposed to have insurance to get a license to do that stuff. It isn't grand theft like your thinking. It's more the legal version of grand theft. Your or I couldn't do it without going to jail unless we were licensed to do it. Either way, if they take you vehicle, they have to call it into the police so the police aren't out looking for a stolen vehicle that isn't actually stolen.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:16 AM
Senior Board Member

I was thinking along the lines of them takeing your truck cause your parked where you shouldn't be, towing it is one thing BUT the second someone breaks in and drives it away it becomes more than an impound! Plain and simple they don't have permisson to operate it so it becomes theft . I don't care how many cops are there and say it's ok, they don't have the authority to let someone else drive your truck! ( assuming it's not an emergency)
Old 06-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Board Icon

Your splitting hairs repete. What if the truck is running and the doors unlocked? You gonna still put it behind a hook or take the easy route and drive it off to the impound lot? They do have the authority to take it whether they hook it or drive it away. You can ask for them to be arrested but it won't happen unless you were parked in a legal spot. Trust me bud, my area has been having a big row over this same deal. While morally what the towing folks are doing is considered wrong, they have the authority and are doing a civic duty no matter what your opinion is on them doing it. Your right it's theft but it's the legalized version of it no matter how you slice it.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
I was thinking along the lines of them takeing your truck cause your parked where you shouldn't be, towing it is one thing BUT the second someone breaks in and drives it away it becomes more than an impound! Plain and simple they don't have permisson to operate it so it becomes theft . I don't care how many cops are there and say it's ok, they don't have the authority to let someone else drive your truck! ( assuming it's not an emergency)
A "REPO", whether it's your car, your truck, or your house, is considered "HOSTILE ACTION". Impound, the same thing. It's not the same thing as having your truck towed in for repair. It cancels your TITLE until you redeem it and claim it back. And, it's going to cost you money. If you don't claim it back, they have the right to sell it, and your title is null and void. Yes, in order to do that sort of thing, they must have insurance for it and a business license to be in that line of work. But, how they go about moving it is entirely up to them. And, THEY DO NOT NEED YOUR PERMISSION.

In most states, they are not allowed to tow or move a vehicle that is occupied, but don't quote me on that.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Aside from the fact that theft is rampant in "Chicagoland"....every freakin' one of the burbs around there have "no truck parking rules"....... Just about the only places you can park around there are the restareas/service plazas, a shipper/receiver...if they let you.

I was bobtail once a couple of years ago....in a small office/warehouse place off 294 and a nice local officer pulled up in front of me....I got out and talked to him....he politely, and I do mean "politely" advised me that if I stayed I would get a $395.00 parking ticket He smiled and left.....and I left right behind him!!

I can only imagine that someone in that area would steal your garbage if they got a chance...

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.