User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford390pwr View Post
So this would be a legal repossession? I have seen that repo show on A&E and I thought people would get pissed when they had a car repossessed, I could only imagine how pissed off a driver would be that he is losing his home, transportation and livelihood in one fell swoop!

I have heard that the locks to these tractors are not very secure. One key may open the door to several rigs of the same make. If this is true, thieves would be able to have a few keys and keep trying till they find a key that fits into a truck. Also lots of drivers will leave the truck running and lock the door while they run into the store real quick.

The bonus here is that the carrier should be able to track down a truck if it was stolen as opposed to repossessed! After all Big Brother is always watching :bigthink:
Look at the "points" on your key. There are only about 5 or 6 pins in the tumbler that must be lined up. That means a limited number of keys, and duplications among the trucks. At one time, a ring of a dozen keys would open every truck ( of that make) made.

Now, as to the carriers tracking them down... The communications equipment, and the GPS can easily be disabled by pulling 2 fuses that are generally located behind the circuit breaker panel. Pull those fuses, and the company has absolutely no information.

Note to drivers... If you do pull the fuses in your own truck so that they can not track you, you could be subject to firing. Not sure the exact reason they might state it as, but they will know that you've been up to something. And, you can bet your --- they won't like it.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Board Regular
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Years ago- late 1970's- A fellow who had been the Spokane yard guy for the company I was leased to, turned up in LA working for some people that were stealing trucks, stripping them out and selling the parts into Mexico. I thought my problems were solved. I would just have George's crew steal my truck. I would get a motel for the night, give him my spare key, and be healed while I slept. I even offered George money and some weed to put the deal together.

"They say we don't want Road Commodes with Detroits"

It makes you feel pretty bad to find out you own such a POS that you can't even PAY somebody to steal it.

-Jack Kerouac, "Mexico City Blues"
Old 06-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Board Icon

There is a way to fix the door's so only you can get in. Requires some work and doctoring of the door, so company drivers shouldn't do it. You can rig up a bar that locks in on the inside of the door and have it work by key on the outside. Wal-Mart had a problem with doors on their trucks, you could lock it, but if someone yanked hard enough it would pop open. They had a lady driver who had a guy try to climb into her truck one night. She beat him back out of the truck as he slid into the drivers seat. After that the company asked the shop to rig up something that only she could open. From the inside, she slide a lever forward to lock the bar into place, from the outside she turned a key that was totally different from any truck key. Never had another problem with her having someone actually climbing into the truck after locking the doors.

This sounds like a normal repo. I mean the first words out of his mouth were, "Did you see a tow truck?" So either he knew he was behind on payments if it was his truck or his company was behind on payments and had told him to watch out for repo men. It probably wasn't an impound for a no parking area. Maybe some more info Carlos? Was there any other trucks unattended around you that didn't get swiped?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Board Icon

Hey Syncrosonix...

Your video loop is getting "REPETITIVE MOTION INJURY"...

Old 06-11-2009, 01:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Most volvo's have either laser or electronic keys, good luck .

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 06-11-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Did he call the cops?? Did he have you talk to the cops??
Luckily enough, about a minute after he walked away from my truck, a police car just happened to be cruising by. He managed to flag the officer down, got into the cruiser and then they both drove off. I was never questioned by the officer.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
There is a way to fix the door's so only you can get in. Requires some work and doctoring of the door, so company drivers shouldn't do it. You can rig up a bar that locks in on the inside of the door and have it work by key on the outside. Wal-Mart had a problem with doors on their trucks, you could lock it, but if someone yanked hard enough it would pop open. They had a lady driver who had a guy try to climb into her truck one night. She beat him back out of the truck as he slid into the drivers seat. After that the company asked the shop to rig up something that only she could open. From the inside, she slide a lever forward to lock the bar into place, from the outside she turned a key that was totally different from any truck key. Never had another problem with her having someone actually climbing into the truck after locking the doors.

This sounds like a normal repo. I mean the first words out of his mouth were, "Did you see a tow truck?" So either he knew he was behind on payments if it was his truck or his company was behind on payments and had told him to watch out for repo men. It probably wasn't an impound for a no parking area. Maybe some more info Carlos? Was there any other trucks unattended around you that didn't get swiped?
At the time, there were probably 4 other semis besides mine parked in the lot. Whether they were occupied or not at the time is beyond me. I'm assuming they were. There was a box truck and a car that was parked there that appeared to have been there for quite some time... the box truck was at least there for a while. It was definitely there the next morning when I took off. That truck was definitely unoccupied. The car was gone later in the evening. There was a sign on one of the poles that read, "All unoccupied vehicles will be towed." To mean that means abandoned vehicles. There were no 'NO TRUCK PARKING' signs present.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
Hey Syncrosonix...

Your video loop is getting "REPETITIVE MOTION INJURY"...
willy wonka has put rules into place for a reason. if you don't follow them, you'll get NOTHING!
Old 06-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Just wondering who would be in the chit if your truck is impounded and driven from the scene and while bying driven gets into an accident??? They didn't have your permission to drive it and I'd bet that legally they can't just drive it away( think grand theft). I'm sure your insurance company would't pay for the accident and ferther more they would also have to pay damages on the truck, HMMM stupid way of impounding a truck. I'd just throw a boot on it and charge $$$ to remove it
Old 06-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
Just wondering who would be in the chit if your truck is impounded and driven from the scene and while bying driven gets into an accident??? They didn't have your permission to drive it and I'd bet that legally they can't just drive it away( think grand theft). I'm sure your insurance company would't pay for the accident and ferther more they would also have to pay damages on the truck, HMMM stupid way of impounding a truck. I'd just throw a boot on it and charge $$$ to remove it
I grew up in a tourist trap town, so there are a lot of paid parking lots there. The town laws allowed the operator of the lot to boot cars there that did not pay, and the town law said $35 was the set amount one could charge, of course most of them charged like $50 to $100, paid the lot owner the $35 and kept the rest

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt