User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
This country was built based upon capitalism. Things worked pretty well until the government started regulating everything.

Before government decided that citizens were too stupid to make their own decisions we had what is commonly called common sense. If we made bad decisions then we dealt with them.
Yes, GMAN.... I realize America is the great "free market" experiment. But the government started "regulating" because capitalists were abusing the workforce.

During the Industrial Revolution, workers were paid a pittance for long hard days of work in unhealthy conditions. Think of the coal mines! There and in the oilfields (and many other places) men were expected to work as long as needed, without overtime pay, and without any regard for their lives and safety. NO medical benefits were provided.

It was not the regulations that sent jobs overseas, but the GREED of the billionaire owners of those companies that refused to provide a living wage and benefits, let alone safe work environment, for their workers.

They decided.... rather than reduce their profits to COMPETE with the "junk" coming out of China, they would just "capitalize" on the treaties that allowed them to JOIN the junk coming out of China.

I'm NOT for government intervention in ALL things. But, there are times in our history that the government WAS our best friend. Without the "regulation" against monopolies, I wonder just HOW much we'd be paying for phone service, airfare, and utilities?

And who would be there to COOK your double whopper if they weren't making even poverty wages?

I reiterate my question: Someone name me a country that has PROVEN that capitalism works without government regulation! The closest, I submit, would be the Feudal times in England and Europe. And we all know that led to revolution.

Let's look at supply and demand: When supply rises, prices should go down, but they rarely DO! What happens is a reduction in supply (and maybe JOBS) so the companies can maintain their profit base. When Demand goes down, PRICES should go down... but, they rarely DO because the companies have to raise prices to cover their so-called "losses."

It is the GREED of corporate America that will not let "capitalism" WORK! And ALWAYS... the cost is borne by the consumer. So, it works ONLY for the rich owners. Not for the middle class.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.

Last edited by golfhobo; 06-15-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Senior Board Member

I think GH makes a good point and I'm starting to change my way of thinking on this issue to more of a middle ground, and what mean is I think it's both government regulation and greed that has brought us were we are right now. I think perhaps technology, for as great as it is, also played a role as well.

Our country seems to have changed to a cheap mentality instead of a quality mentality and you could probably say consumers had a role in this downward spiral as well. "Give me more cheap and I'll just throw it away and get another one when it breaks."

A while back I started to make a conscience effort to shop in the mom and pops rather than big box stores, and I'll let you guys in on some things. When I was a contractor I learned that you shouldn't buy pumps or faucets and the like from Home Depot or Lowes because you're not buying the real product you're buying something that is made in another factory with substandard parts and then a brand name stuck onto the product. Take a Moen faucet for example, excellent brand name if bought from a plumbing supply place but it's not the same faucet as what you get from HD or Lowes. Lawn tractors also fall into this group, never buy them from big box stores.

Recently I discovered that even charcoal is not immune from this cheap mentality. I used to get charcoal from HD or Sams club, but recently I was down at the local hardware store and saw a bag on the shelf so I bought it, because we were a little low. Well it was a noticeable difference in the charcoal purchased from the big box stores. Same brand, same packaging, different product. Both me and my wife noticed that it burned better, longer, hotter and smelled better. Of coarse I shout out "is nothing sacred!!!" Try it and see for yourself. I cook every night, just about, with charcoal so maybe that's why noticed it.

Does any one think it will ever turn around where people will choose quality over cheap? I doubt it but you never know.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Senior Board Member

In response to the question of expensive healthcare, I say we start by dumping all the malpractice lawyers and their clients into the ocean.

Anytime one of them whines about a procedure they were well warned about in advance, they want their pain to be shared equally.