Old 06-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Cat making a class 8 truck??

UPDATE: Caterpillar, Navistar Finalize Truck-Building JV - WSJ.com

Cat, Navistar join forces

Caterpillar News & Press Releases

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 06-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

A couple of years ago, I was hearing that CAT was getting out of the CLASS 8 engine business here in the States. The reason... EPA, with CA leading the pack. According to that press release, they're talking about class 8 trucks, (on road) for foreign markets, not here. For me, that was a sad thought. The very best engine I've ever run in a truck was a 3406 CAT. What they're talking about for domestic markets is "off road", hiway construction trucks. Competition for all the yellow and black VOLVOs I see on the double-drops on our hiways. Doesn't mean you're going to see a class 8 engine under the hood of a truck on our hiways. Personally, I think they've been plagued with a few too many weak points in their C-15 series. They don't hold together as well as the 3406's.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Cap and trade or do you prefure cap and tax should take care of whats left of our business in this country.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
A couple of years ago, I was hearing that CAT was getting out of the CLASS 8 engine business here in the States. The reason... EPA, with CA leading the pack. According to that press release, they're talking about class 8 trucks, (on road) for foreign markets, not here. For me, that was a sad thought. The very best engine I've ever run in a truck was a 3406 CAT. What they're talking about for domestic markets is "off road", hiway construction trucks. Competition for all the yellow and black VOLVOs I see on the double-drops on our hiways. Doesn't mean you're going to see a class 8 engine under the hood of a truck on our hiways. Personally, I think they've been plagued with a few too many weak points in their C-15 series. They don't hold together as well as the 3406's.
Better read it again. This is froms cats website. The last link i posted.

The new Caterpillar on-highway vocational trucks will be unveiled in late 2010 and will go into full production in early 2011. The trucks will be sold and serviced exclusively by Caterpillar Dealers in North America. The transaction is subject to various closing conditions, including the execution of the related strategic alliance agreement and certain other ancillary agreements.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 06-04-2009, 05:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
Better read it again. This is froms cats website. The last link i posted.

The new Caterpillar on-highway vocational trucks will be unveiled in late 2010 and will go into full production in early 2011. The trucks will be sold and serviced exclusively by Caterpillar Dealers in North America. The transaction is subject to various closing conditions, including the execution of the related strategic alliance agreement and certain other ancillary agreements.[/COLOR]
sorry but you my want to reREAD some of the links you posted for a few thing like this fron the the 3rd link you posted from just above the quote you posted...

The heavy-duty vocational trucks will be purpose-built

so what is a vocational truck...? from the same link
vocational applications, such as earth moving, quarry, waste, mining, general and heavy construction, logging and road construction.

fron the 1st link you posted
Caterpillar-brand construction trucks for North America and sell commercial trucks and engines in several overseas markets.

and this
Navistar and Cateripillar will develop heavy-duty trucks for vocational specialties, such as road construction, mining, ...

from the 2nd link you posted
North American severe service construction trucks,

and this
Through this alliance, Caterpillar plans to target a 2010 introduction of a North American Cat-branded heavy-duty truck for severe service applications, such as road construction, large infrastructure projects and oil and petroleum development.

i see nothing that shows that cat will make a class 8 truck for north america...? but fron the 3rd link i did find this
manufacture and distribute commercial trucks in regions outside of North America

and to make my point fron the 2nd link
Caterpillar has determined independently that it will not supply EPA 2010-compliant engines to truck and other on-highway original equipment manufacturers (OEMs).
Old 06-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flood View Post
sorry but you my want to reREAD some of the links you posted for a few thing like this fron the the 3rd link you posted from just above the quote you posted...

The heavy-duty vocational trucks will be purpose-built

so what is a vocational truck...? from the same link
vocational applications, such as earth moving, quarry, waste, mining, general and heavy construction, logging and road construction.

fron the 1st link you posted
Caterpillar-brand construction trucks for North America and sell commercial trucks and engines in several overseas markets.

and this
Navistar and Cateripillar will develop heavy-duty trucks for vocational specialties, such as road construction, mining, ...

from the 2nd link you posted
North American severe service construction trucks,

and this
Through this alliance, Caterpillar plans to target a 2010 introduction of a North American Cat-branded heavy-duty truck for severe service applications, such as road construction, large infrastructure projects and oil and petroleum development.

i see nothing that shows that cat will make a class 8 truck for north america...? but fron the 3rd link i did find this
manufacture and distribute commercial trucks in regions outside of North America

and to make my point fron the 2nd link
Caterpillar has determined independently that it will not supply EPA 2010-compliant engines to truck and other on-highway original equipment manufacturers (OEMs).

A vocational truck is like a Tri axle dump truck, logging truck, trash truck etc. etc.

Go to peterbilt or mack or kenworths website. They have a spot just for all there vocational model trucks.

BTW if CAT was not going to build a road truck then why would they team up with Navistar??

Old 06-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Tri axle dump truck, logging truck, trash truck etc. etc. are NOT a class 8 truck are thy...?

BTW if CAT was not going to build a road truck then why would they team up with Navistar?? maybe like it said construction trucks for North America not class 8 and and sell commercial trucks and engines in several OVERSEAS MARKETS.

all this is fron the links YOU posted...! but NOWHERE in any of then does it say anything about cat building class 8 trucks for us in north america does it..?

do you realy think thy would sell a truck in north america WITHOUT a cat motor in it..?

and cat has already said thy WILL NOT make a 2010 motor for on road class 8 trucks for north america...
Old 06-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flood View Post
Tri axle dump truck, logging truck, trash truck etc. etc. are NOT a class 8 truck are thy...?

Yes they are class 8 trucks. I think but dont hold me to it. Anything with a GVW of 33,000 and up is a class 8 Truck.

By reading what a copy below it sounds to me that it is going to be an on the road truck. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. But cat already build off-road trucks so if it was just another off road truck i don't think they would need help from a truck company like Navistar.

Maybe someone else can read all of the links and give there 2cents.

North America Caterpillar Vocational Trucks

Under the strategic alliance Caterpillar and Navistar will develop and manufacture a new line of heavy-duty Caterpillar vocational trucks for North America only. The new Caterpillar trucks will be co-developed by Caterpillar and Navistar and manufactured in Navistar's Garland, Texas facility. The trucks will be sold and serviced through the Caterpillar North American Dealer network.

"The heavy-duty vocational trucks will be purpose-built to complement Caterpillar's existing product line and will give Caterpillar dealers an unmatched ability to support customer needs from extraction through delivery," said George Taylor, Director and General Manager of the Caterpillar Global On-Highway Department.

The Caterpillar trucks will feature key Caterpillar proprietary components and technology and will target customers who operate in a wide variety of vocational applications, such as earth moving, quarry, waste, mining, general and heavy construction, logging and road construction.

"Caterpillar is proud to be working with an innovative leader to provide our customers distinctly Caterpillar vocational trucks in North America," Taylor added.
The new Caterpillar on-highway vocational trucks will be unveiled in late 2010 and will go into full production in early 2011. The trucks will be sold and serviced exclusively by Caterpillar Dealers in North America. The transaction is subject to various closing conditions, including the execution of the related strategic alliance agreement and certain other ancillary agreements.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
Maybe someone else can read all of the links and give there 2cents.

The Caterpillar trucks will feature key Caterpillar proprietary components and technology and will target customers who operate in a wide variety of vocational applications, such as earth moving, quarry, waste, mining, general and heavy construction, logging and road construction.

"Caterpillar is proud to be working with an innovative leader to provide our customers distinctly Caterpillar vocational trucks in North America," Taylor added.

To me it sounds like the key word used is "vocational" and to me that seems like heavy duty construction type vehicles and not OTR tractors, they would have listed long haul trucks in the release if they were. They may be highway legal trucks just not OTR applicable.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
To me it sounds like the key word used is "vocational" and to me that seems like heavy duty construction type vehicles and not OTR tractors, they would have listed long haul trucks in the release if they were. They may be highway legal trucks just not OTR applicable.
Thats what i was thinking. Like daycab only type of stuff.