User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
"The heavy-duty vocational trucks will be purpose-built to complement Caterpillar's existing product line and will give Caterpillar dealers an unmatched ability to support customer needs from extraction through delivery,"
Deliveries are done with "on road" trucks.

Quote:
The new Caterpillar on-highway vocational trucks will be unveiled in late 2010 and will go into full production in early 2011. The trucks will be sold and serviced exclusively by Caterpillar Dealers in North America. The transaction is subject to various closing conditions, including the execution of the related strategic alliance agreement and certain other ancillary agreements.
It says "on highway vocational trucks".

And yes these are class 8 vocational trucks, vocational trucks such as dump trucks, mixers, garbage trucks etc are actually built much heavier than OTR trucks due to the demands of on/off road hauling.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:42 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
Yes they are class 8 trucks. I think but dont hold me to it. Anything with a GVW of 33,000 and up is a class 8 Truck.

By reading what a copy below it sounds to me that it is going to be an on the road truck. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. But cat already build off-road trucks so if it was just another off road truck i don't think they would need help from a truck company like Navistar.

Maybe someone else can read all of the links and give there 2cents.

North America Caterpillar Vocational Trucks

Under the strategic alliance Caterpillar and Navistar will develop and manufacture a new line of heavy-duty Caterpillar vocational trucks for North America only. The new Caterpillar trucks will be co-developed by Caterpillar and Navistar and manufactured in Navistar's Garland, Texas facility. The trucks will be sold and serviced through the Caterpillar North American Dealer network.

"The heavy-duty vocational trucks will be purpose-built to complement Caterpillar's existing product line and will give Caterpillar dealers an unmatched ability to support customer needs from extraction through delivery," said George Taylor, Director and General Manager of the Caterpillar Global On-Highway Department.

The Caterpillar trucks will feature key Caterpillar proprietary components and technology and will target customers who operate in a wide variety of vocational applications, such as earth moving, quarry, waste, mining, general and heavy construction, logging and road construction.

"Caterpillar is proud to be working with an innovative leader to provide our customers distinctly Caterpillar vocational trucks in North America," Taylor added.
The new Caterpillar on-highway vocational trucks will be unveiled in late 2010 and will go into full production in early 2011. The trucks will be sold and serviced exclusively by Caterpillar Dealers in North America. The transaction is subject to various closing conditions, including the execution of the related strategic alliance agreement and certain other ancillary agreements.
If you look at the things listed, not one of them needs to be in an application that requires a license for the road. Yes, there are even waste applications that do not have to go on the hiway. Logging can be bringing the logs from in the interior to a staging area so they can be loaded onto commercial trucks for transport to facilities to make use of them. Looks to me like they are going to try to stay in a market that does not require all the EPA standards that hiway trucks have. Should be a hint to CA. They expect commercial trucks to clean up their air problems. Cleaner than the air that goes into them. Go to CA, suck in all the pollution, and clean it before it goes out the exhaust. CAT isn't going along with that.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
If you look at the things listed, not one of them needs to be in an application that requires a license for the road. Yes, there are even waste applications that do not have to go on the hiway. Logging can be bringing the logs from in the interior to a staging area so they can be loaded onto commercial trucks for transport to facilities to make use of them. Looks to me like they are going to try to stay in a market that does not require all the EPA standards that hiway trucks have. Should be a hint to CA. They expect commercial trucks to clean up their air problems. Cleaner than the air that goes into them. Go to CA, suck in all the pollution, and clean it before it goes out the exhaust. CAT isn't going along with that.
Again, excerpts from the posted article which I highlighted in my previous post:

Quote:
"The heavy-duty vocational trucks will be purpose-built to complement Caterpillar's existing product line and will give Caterpillar dealers an unmatched ability to support customer needs from extraction through delivery,"
Deliveries are done with "on road" trucks.

Quote:
It says "on highway vocational trucks".

And yes these are class 8 vocational trucks, vocational trucks such as dump trucks, mixers, garbage trucks etc are actually built much heavier than OTR trucks due to the demands of on/off road hauling.