Old 05-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Memorial Day

Keep it
moving, please, even if you've seen it before.

It is the

VETERAN
not the preacher,

who has given us freedom of religion.

It is
the
VETERAN,
not the reporter,

who has given us freedom of the press.

It is
the
VETERAN,
not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.

It is
the
VETERAN,
not the campus organizer,
who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is
the
VETERAN,
not the lawyer,
who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is
the
VETERAN,
not the politician,
Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the

VETERAN
who
salutes the Flag,

It is
the

VETERAN

who serves
under the Flag,

ETERNAL
REST GRANT THEM O LORD, AND LET PERPETUAL LIGHT SHINE UPON
THEM.

I'd be
We can be very
proud of our young men and women in the service no matter where they serve.

God
Bless them all!!

Makes you proud to be an American

Old 05-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

A few pertinent thoughts about the upcoming day of remembrance

MEMORIAL DAY

Old 05-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Board Icon

Gman: For some reason, I'm getting a bunch of X's in boxes, but I'm SURE I get your point. And on this Memorial Day, I certainly don't want to argue the sentiment. But, I must state my opinion.

The "veterans" of the Revolutionary War fought and died for our independence. Every military veteran since then has fought and/or died for our CONSTITUTIONAL republic. Our "rule of law" and mostly FOR the priniciples of our Constitution.

I'm sure it's just a matter of opinion, but IMHO, every ocurrence of the word "veteran" in that poem you quoted, could be replaced by the word "Constitution."

All those rights mentioned in that "poem" are guaranteed by our Constitution. I know we were attacked during WWII, but ONLY to get us into (or to keep us OUT OF) the war. I doubt seriously that the Axis powers of Nazi Germany and Japan actually believed they could ever conquer this nation. They didn't have the force strength NOR the supply lines.

It was INDEED, the Constitutional Congress that enumerated those rights for Americans. And it IS the responsibility of every American to protect them through either force OR vote.

Consider, for a moment, if those wars never came. What would have "given" us those rights? The veteran? Or the Constitution?

I AM a Veteran, and I take PRIDE in our military. But, I am trying to give PURPOSE to the voter as well. We HAVE these rights because we "self-determined" that we SHOULD have them... and backed it up with LAWS based on our Constitution.

The protection, and continued existence of those rights, is just as much a responsibility of the voter/civilian as the soldier.

Though there are MANY problems with our legislative and representative form of government, the TRUE power still lies with the "governed" who insist on the rights afforded to them by the Constitution.

Many of my Southern brothers died in the Civil War, fighting for what they believed in, but vanquished nonetheless by the "veterans" who fought for the Constituion against all enemies foreign OR DOMESTIC.

On this (and every) Memorial Day, I honor the fallen soldier. But, I never lose sight of the fact that he/she died to protect (or in service of) our Constitution.... from which ALL our personal rights evolved.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:33 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Thanks for your thoughts, golfhobo. I am sorry about all the x's. The pictures were there when I first posted this earlier today. I will check to see if I can find the problem. The photo's add a lot to the posts.

Politicians set national policy. The military is the vehicle that enforces that policy. Our rights are established by the constitution but guaranteed by the military. The constitution means nothing without the participation of the people.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Please remember to take a minute at 3:00 pm to remember what Memorial Day is all about. Salute, make a toast or however you choose to remember.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Board Icon

I've had the T.V. off all day so far. I turned it on just before 3 p.m. to see how the "big 3" cable news networks covered this moment of silence. I will refrain from making analysis.

I have spent the last few hours reading some parts of Fozzy's blog that I had missed or skipped the other night.

I spent my moment of silence thinking of James, and Pokey, and the few others I know something personally about.

I remembered the mustached, grey haired biker I met at the Flying J last week who was part of the "run to the wall." We chatted for a moment, and I said something about getting old. He reminded me that it was better than the alternative, the fate of those he was on his way to remember and honor.

I wish I had gotten out of the house today and joined in SOME ceremony somewhere. I didn't do enough. I can NEVER do enough.

I am reminded of the words of that song that says, "only the good die young." I am old. I am still alive. How could I EVER do enough?

Though I am not prone to quote scripture, I can't help but remember the one that says, "Greater love hath NO man, that he lay down his life for another."

The hundreds of thousands of Americans who have made that sacrifice HAD that great love for us... for me. Am I worthy?

On this special day of rememberance, I don't FEEL worthy. I don't feel that I could SHINE their boots.

It is said that our military comprises the Best and Brightest of our citizens. I don't know. There are certainly some bright and good people who have never served. And some of us who did may not feel that we deserve that distinction.

But, there is no doubt that those who voluntarily serve in wartime are definitely the BRAVEST of all Americans. And thank God or providence that we have more than enough of THEM.

So, on this day, I salute the fallen soldier... and the wounded warrior. But there is another group to consider. Let us not forget to honor and care for the families of the lost. The mother, father, siblings, children or spouses of the brave men and women who've paid the ultimate price are YET paying that price for all of us.

This day REALLY belongs to them. THEY are the "worthy."

This day I am thinking of them.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.