User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2009, 05:38 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb Happy 21st Birthday Pokey!

Knottie's niche: Happy Birthday Pokey......
Old 05-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
...On this day I have made the choice to celebrate my son and his life...tomorrow I will go back to mourning him.
I wish every day were Pokey's birthday. So that Angelia would feel obligated to celebrate his life every day that she awakes... and that tomorrow's mourning would never come.

Happy Pokey's birthday to both of you.

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Silly Goose
Senior Board Member

celebrate him everyday

"Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." - Warren Miller
Old 05-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Board Icon

Happy Birthday, and once again thank you.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Fozzy I saw this on another board then I saw this thread thought it was perfect for you. It is a performance by Trace Adkins and the West Point Glee Club doing his new song Til the Last Shot is Fired

Here you go.

YouTube - ACM 2009, Til The Last Shot's Fired, Trace Adkins, 1st. Lt. Andrew Kinard, West Point Glee Club
Old 05-18-2009, 04:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks folks. It is and will continue to be a rare event when I post about my son anywhere. I have been scolded for doing so on a couple of other boards so I've about given up doing so. Very special events like this one will get a blurb or two. We went to one of the local watering holes last night and partook in a few rounds and toasts. A smallish crowd. Thanks for the comebacks. We visited with 12 medal of honor recipients last month in Gainesville and I got to speak with a 99 year old Pearl Harbor MOH recipient. He hits the nail on the head and he was one heck of a guy. He spoke about the fallen and being able to only honor and respect them forever. The living wounded warriors are who we need to focus on. My wife and I still do our best to keep up with a support the folks who are deployed and deploying. A friend of my son's who is in the Navy volunteered to go to Iraq and serve their because of my son. To volunteer when you have to get special training outside your MOS to do so say's a lot.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Board Icon

I'm not allowed to speak for ALL here, fozzy. But, I don't think you would EVER get scolded here on CAD for posting about Pokey.

MANY of us really MISS you here! We understand your reluctance, but you took a part of this board with you when you left.

Memorial Day is coming soon. I look forward to hearing from you. And I will remember Pokey on that day.

Hobo

Old 05-19-2009, 01:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Three of my son platoon members are coming to stay with us over the memorial day weekend. I look forward to their company. There isn't much to do here, but I'm sure we'll find something for them to do. May is just a pretty bad month for us. Armed Forces day, My son's birthday, memorial day, Graduation of the schools, just lots of things with loads of memories involved.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:44 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
Three of my son platoon members are coming to stay with us over the memorial day weekend. I look forward to their company. There isn't much to do here, but I'm sure we'll find something for them to do. May is just a pretty bad month for us. Armed Forces day, My son's birthday, memorial day, Graduation of the schools, just lots of things with loads of memories involved.
Do you fish?

A story was told this weekend on the dias at Notre Dame about how their president emeritus was involved in the Civil Rights revolution of the 60's, and how he brought it all together by taking men of different beliefs on a fishing trip.

Although the men had differing views on the major political issues of the day, they shared the common love of fishing, and were subjet to the calming effects of such a simple pastime. Great strides were made that weekend.

Perhaps it is no coincidence that Jesus, though a carpenter by trade, knew that the way to build a consensus was to engage the average man on HIS level.... that of fishing.

I'm not trying to make any political or religious statement here. I'm just saying that nearly ALL men love to fish, and find it calming and reflective.

I suspect that the three soldiers who will bless you with their presence over the weekend, though they come from different states and maybe cultures, share not only the common memories of battle with your son, but also the common love for life and it's simplest most calming moments.

May is not MY favorite month either. My daughter was born just before the end of this month. I knew her very briefly. I wonder about her nearly every day.

Regardless of the circumstances, it is NEVER easy to live your life missing a child. YOUR experience affords you an HONOR that I can never achieve. I don't deserve it... and never will.

I KNOW you would trade that honor ten days a week to have Poikey back. But honor is not something to be taken lightly. It comes with a price AND a responsibility.

I am not stupid enough to try to tell you how you should feel or act. I have no experience to base it on. I just know that Pokey would want you BOTH to live on with a joy of life! The same joy HE had. The same joy he knew YOU to have.

I think he would LOVE to go fishing this coming weekend!

Hobo

Old 05-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Not sure what we will do when the guys get here. I'm sure we will find something to do around here. They will of course want to go out and visit the grave. I am rather ashamed to admit that I do not go there. I have visited the cemetery only twice. The funeral and when the marker was placed. The site of the marker and the unfinished grave was too large a kick in the guts for me. To me, that's not where Micheal is. it is a place of honor so I should go there. But the depression that follows me around after going there is just way to heavy a burden just yet.