LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2009, 02:23 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Over $72,000/yr?

I just heard that the average government employee makes over $72,000/yr. :hellno: That is about twice what their employer (the American taxpayer) earns. That just doesn't seem right to me. I didn't get to hear the entire conversation concerning the salaries but I suspect they were talking about federal employees. I don't know if those numbers include benefits. I think it is past time to start reducing government payroll and pay. These government workers should not be paid more than that of their employer.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:25 AM
Board Icon

If that is the case, I'm guessing that the numbers of high ranking officials are skewing them.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:44 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I just heard that the average government employee makes over $72,000/yr. :hellno: That is about twice what their employer (the American taxpayer) earns. That just doesn't seem right to me. I didn't get to hear the entire conversation concerning the salaries but I suspect they were talking about federal employees. I don't know if those numbers include benefits. I think it is past time to start reducing government payroll and pay. These government workers should not be paid more than that of their employer.
Aaawwww.... Now.... Why you want to go start picking on government employees???? It's hard work to keep those seat cushons warm on all those office chairs, and keep the desks from floating around the rooms. Besides... It takes a lot of money to buy all those ROMANCE NOVELS to read while trying to dream up what more they can tax from us. They earn their money... It's hard work trying to paint your fingernails. After all, you MUST hold the brush with two fingers in order to be successful at it. And, tomorrow, you'll have to do it again because you'll be tired of the color you used today. There are even a few that spend years trying to dream up a suitable job title for their position. Then, there were the 4 city engineers that all looked at a blueprint, and 3 of them had no idea what they were looking at. What makes you think the fed is any different? They get any more involved than that, and they might OVERLOAD THEIR BRAINS.

Where do you suppose all our "SOCIAL SECURITY" is going? Retirees only collect, on the average, for 18 months. Fed employees collect for 20+ years.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:47 AM
Board Icon

Hey, Rev... You coming down with TUNA FLU or something????

Old 05-17-2009, 03:58 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
Hey, Rev... You coming down with TUNA FLU or something????
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUbWjIKxrrs[/YOUTUBE]
Old 05-17-2009, 04:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
My sister is a Federal employee. Her annual salary is only $37,000 a year.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I heard that the guy who heads the Post Office makes over $800,000/yr. issedoff: That is more than the president makes! MUCH MORE!! I don't think any government worker should be paid more than the president. I spoke with a couple of postal workers the other day and they were not at all happy about this guy making that much money. Working for the government should not pay more than a similar position in the private sector. I am not sure this is still the case, but federal workers were forced to retire at 59 1/2 years of age. Considering the longevity of individuals today, that is a long time to collect retirement. These people also don't contribute to Social Security. They have their own retirement program which is much better than Social Security. I don't think we should have career long government workers. We need to turn them over just as we do elected representatives. That could save many billions of tax dollars.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
If that is the case, I'm guessing that the numbers of high ranking officials are skewing them.

It is possible. It is also possible that this may include benefits. Federal workers have GREAT benefits! If you check salaries with agencies such as the FBI and other agencies. salaries are fairly high unless you are in a clerical position.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Board Regular

I would suspect the postmaster general position is equivalent to a ceo position in a business.. so if you compare that positon to the CEO of FEDEX or UPS I suspect 800,000 is much less than either of them get.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
I would suspect the postmaster general position is equivalent to a ceo position in a business.. so if you compare that positon to the CEO of FEDEX or UPS I suspect 800,000 is much less than either of them get.
Good point.

When I was an auditor for the state the average pay for my level was $60K plus benefits. The "Mahogany Row" for the department was well over $85K and the head made six digits. This mind you, is one state department. Granted, all the auditors were required to have a 4 year degree in accounting. Same is true for the attorney general's department for the state (needing a law degree).

This pay rate is much less than the earning potential for an accountant and lawyer with their own practice, but the hours are 8-5 for the civil service employee, much less than what would be required for the private sector.

Most state jobs are at 36K.

But, putting it back on you, Gman, those jobs are open to anyone that meet the requirements. Not all civil service jobs require a degree. You could drive truck for the post office, for example. Why don't you apply?

Or..... write or call your congress person and let them know how you feel?