User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I do write or call my congressman about issues that I am concerned. I also write or call my senators. I have known all three for many years and well before they were elected to office. I am not one who sits on the sidelines and complains without taking action. If more people took the time to contact their representatives then we would be able to have more of an impact on issues that are important to us.

As far as working for the government, that is not something that I have a desire to do. Many of the truck driving jobs are actually independent contractors who bid on routes rather than employees. By the way, I do have a very good education that I would not want to waste on a government job.

I think a good reason to not pay government workers more than in the private sector is that they get comfortable in those positions and don't want to leave. I would rather see people sign up to work for the government for a couple of years in lieu of military service and then go back to the private sector. It would be a much better country if everyone were required to serve in some capacity for a couple of years. Civil service work would be good as well as the military. Citizens could serve in either capacity. We would save billions of dollars in benefits and salaries since these people would not work for more than a couple of years. Experienced managers could be brought in from the private sector to run the post office. After all, there are many who become ambassadors and take other positions for salaries much less than they could command in the private sector. These people serve a few years under an administration and then go back to their real jobs. Many of these individuals are very well qualified with good educations who want to serve the country. The reason to pay them so much money is to develop a career. I would prefer to see these people stay for a short time. It would reduce the likelihood for corruption we see so rampant in so many government agencies. By the way, the head of TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) received a 7 figure bonus last year which is also obscene. Again, this is supposed to be a government agency. My electric bill took a jump after this was announced.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Senior Board Member

I heard the same thing on the radio last week G. I also heard that they will be getting a raise to ave $76K considering what some do it is outrageous. A few years ago I was tired of the job and co. I worked for and checked into a position with the city. It was similer to what I was doing, working a parts counter but the city started out at somewhere in the mid $40s and went from there! Not bad for sitting on your but all day (HMMM SOUNDS FAMILER) The bennys couldn't be beat and the kicker Elegible for retirement after 20!.

Here in NY we have park rangers that sit around cause the parks dpt can't afford gas for them to patrol!
Dosn't it give you a nice warm fuzzy feeling knowing that our elected officials are looking out for US
Old 05-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
Here in NY we have park rangers that sit around cause the parks dpt can't afford gas for them to patrol!
Dosn't it give you a nice warm fuzzy feeling knowing that our elected officials are looking out for US

Yea, these elected so called representatives recently gave themselves a 10% pay raise and $15,000/month after one term in office. I suppose they felt a need to reward themselves for raising our taxes with the stimulus tax.issedoff:
Old 05-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobry4u View Post
This pay rate is much less than the earning potential for an accountant and lawyer with their own practice, but the hours are 8-5 for the civil service employee, much less than what would be required for the private sector.

I agree dobry4u, but I have always thought that one of the reasons some professionals chose "civil service" over private practice, is the fact that they can not be held personally liable for any infractions they are responsible for while performing their "duties".
Old 05-18-2009, 12:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Hold on guys obama and the dems are going to fix everthing .
Old 05-18-2009, 01:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I think a good reason to not pay government workers more than in the private sector is that they get comfortable in those positions and don't want to leave. I would rather see people sign up to work for the government for a couple of years in lieu of military service and then go back to the private sector.
You would have people rotate out of a department every few years? After having gained the knowledge to do the job efficiently? Take the Medicaid program for example, you would have a person every couple of years take over and know that huge program to be able to fun it efficiently and effectively? That is pretty pie in the sky thinking. There are so many restrictions and so many requirements in many of the programs in all departments that it would be insane to expect those dollars to be used for their intended purposes if new people were brought in every couple of years. :hellno:
Old 05-18-2009, 02:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
You would have people rotate out of a department every few years? After having gained the knowledge to do the job efficiently? Take the Medicaid program for example, you would have a person every couple of years take over and know that huge program to be able to fun it efficiently and effectively? That is pretty pie in the sky thinking. There are so many restrictions and so many requirements in many of the programs in all departments that it would be insane to expect those dollars to be used for their intended purposes if new people were brought in every couple of years. :hellno:

If you can manage one organization you can manage another. With computers things can be transitioned fairly easily. People could stay at least two years but no longer than the duration of a single term administration which would be four years. As far being certain that the dollars are being used efficiently, I would question whether career bureaucrats can manage these organizations as efficiently as someone from the private sector. If we brought in people with private sector experience they would be more able to carry their real world skills into a public environment. Keeping these people for a shorter time would help insure that they would still have a conscience and do the right thing. It would also save many billions of dollars in retirement benefits. Salaries could be lower since those who come into these positions would not be there long enough to build a large salary. Lower level personnel could be trained in skills that they could carry into the private sector once their time is up. Most of these programs are basically cookie cutter programs. You plug in the information and the computers do the rest. Besides, we don't need 2/3 of the government we currently support. Many agencies could be reduced or totally eliminated. There is no efficiency in government. Efficiency exists in the private sector.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
If you can manage one organization you can manage another. With computers things can be transitioned fairly easily. Most of these programs are basically cookie cutter programs. You plug in the information and the computers do the rest.
Gman, you are quite naive in your assumptions. Do you want a heart doctor as a brain surgeon?

I am not here to attack or argue with you. I respect your opinions and information greatly. But I believe your dislike for government is clouding you on this one. I have worked as a civil servant. As an auditor of your tax dollars and I have seen the bureaucracy, and to suggest that the programs are cookie cutter and can be jammed down a computer program, you are sadly mistaken. :hellno:
Old 05-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Gman, you are quite naive in your assumptions. Do you want a heart doctor as a brain surgeon?

I am not here to attack or argue with you. I respect your opinions and information greatly. But I believe your dislike for government is clouding you on this one. I have worked as a civil servant. As an auditor of your tax dollars and I have seen the bureaucracy, and to suggest that the programs are cookie cutter and can be jammed down a computer program, you are sadly mistaken. :hellno:
Indeed, the bureaucracy is so confusing, messed up, and complicated, even a computer could not figure it out, they would have to build Deep Thought, wait a few million years, and get the answer of 42!

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 05-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Board Regular

It's not true that government people make that much money.When i worked for the Air Force,along with quite a few civilians on infrastructure maintenance,civil servants, they were in the same range as us the military personnel.Some higher bosses that have been there for like 30 years were in the 70-90k range,but the rest of them were between 30-50k a year.

One good thing about a government job was the job security,where i've seen people milk the cow all day long not doing anything,but wasting time and completing their time sheets with fake work.Yes it happened more than usual!Then the benefits,all the federal holidays off, comp time as off days, and over time being paid like a time and a half,even if it was a half an hour over.

Another thing was the amount of money being spend on a project,and then if something wasn't to the code or the boss didn't like it(cause you have way to many bosses that fight for anything), with everything being scratched up and started again.I have seen lots of money being thrown out the window for nothing,where new parts(valves,brass fittings,etc) were thrashed only not to figure on the inventory list.

Talk about a system that's been flawless and will be for a long time.No wonder the government spends so much and can't control it.And i don't think that will ever happen realistically,with the spending culture that exists in the government.