User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
I post stuff like this to inform people of what our Government is doing! WE the taxpayers have every damn right to see and hear what they are doing!
Actually, we DON'T! That is the result of a "representative" type of government.

You "post stuff like this" because some people feel they are NOT represented, so they make stuff up... or make guesses... (mostly, they just misunderstand and miscomprehend) and then BLOG their opinions all over the Internet as if they were FACTS. Then some idiot emails it to you, and YOU post it as if it were a FACT. :roll:

The Internet is the ultimate "telephone game." You know, where one whispers something in another's ear, and they pass it on?? By the end of the line, it has NO RESEMBLANCE to the original statement or truth in the matter.

I started to answer each fallacy in your "email" post.... but, there was just too much to have to correct! I don't think there was ONE single statement that was true or correct! It would have been a bigger waste of MY time to argue it, than it is of YOUR time to read it, believe it, or repost it.

That is why the Rev asked you for a link. That is why I said "here we go again." You've done this before. Remember? :roll:

Remember the old addage "believe only half of what you see, and NONE of what you hear." Well.... that goes double in the age of the Internet!!

Before re-posting everything you "HEAR" in an email on the Internet, YOU should do the research to find the sources of the info, and SEE if it matches. Think it out for yourself. Don't be one who spreads RUMORS. That is WindWalker's job! :lol2:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
Actually, we DON'T! That is the result of a "representative" type of government.

You "post stuff like this" because some people feel they are NOT represented, so they make stuff up... or make guesses... (mostly, they just misunderstand and miscomprehend) and then BLOG their opinions all over the Internet as if they were FACTS. Then some idiot emails it to you, and YOU post it as if it were a FACT. :roll:

The Internet is the ultimate "telephone game." You know, where one whispers something in another's ear, and they pass it on?? By the end of the line, it has NO RESEMBLANCE to the original statement or truth in the matter.

I started to answer each fallacy in your "email" post.... but, there was just too much to have to correct! I don't think there was ONE single statement that was true or correct! It would have been a bigger waste of MY time to argue it, than it is of YOUR time to read it, believe it, or repost it.

That is why the Rev asked you for a link. That is why I said "here we go again." You've done this before. Remember? :roll:

Remember the old addage "believe only half of what you see, and NONE of what you hear." Well.... that goes double in the age of the Internet!!

Before re-posting everything you "HEAR" in an email on the Internet, YOU should do the research to find the sources of the info, and SEE if it matches. Think it out for yourself. Don't be one who spreads RUMORS. That is WindWalker's job! :lol2:
It was a CNN video!!!!!
Old 02-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Board Icon

The whole email was just a CNN video? Then there should have been a LINK. Besides.... it was probably a Lou Dobbs video! He claims to be an Independent, and I trust CNN over FOX, but he twists more facts than Rush Limbaugh! :thumbsdown:

I'm "vaguely" aware of the legislation you refer to. If it is what I think it is, it IS several years old. And very FEW of the "facts" you listed are what is actually on the table. And.... many of them have probably NOT passed Congress yet.

In your original post, you said "all of this comes from CNN, the Lovely Liberal Network. Well.... if it IS actual legislation, CNN has nothing to DO with it other than to REPORT it! So, why the SLAM against CNN? Networks may present a BIAS on the news, but they don't MAKE it!

You started out blaming America.... and ended up making an insinuation about CNN. Maybe, I'm reading your comments wrong.

Point is.... there are a WHOLE lot of HOLES in what your "email" reported. I'm not disputing that our Immigration laws are desperately flawed, but they were just as bad under Reagan. But, the majority of what you "relayed" has NOT yet become law!

Like the Rev, I just want to SEE with my own eyes, or HEAR with my own ears, the SOURCE article/video for the email you are propogating! That way I can discern what is truth and what is HYPE.

I want to know the actual WORDING of whatever legislation is being referenced so that I can "interpret" the "spirit" of the legislation for myself!

No offense, Larry, but like others here I grew up with David Brinkley and Chet Huntley. Perhaps, some here that are older than me will see it differently....but, I recall those years as a time when news reporters and anchors REPORTED the news, instead of OPINING on it! In today's 24 hour news cycle, every hour there is another so-called "journalist" who spends more time "spinning" the (so-called "BREAKING") news than reporting it.... and Bill O'Reilly is no different! I don't trust ANY of them!

MUCH LESS some guy like me with an opinion who happens to have a BLOG!

Here's your assignment for the day, Larry. Google "yellow press" and "indoctrination" and spend a couple of days comparing what you learn to what you see on T.V., or hear on "Conservative Radio" or read on Blogs on the Internet.

When you are done, you will have earned the equivalent of a degree in Journalism, (in today's world) and be maybe HALFWAY close to understanding the POWER of the media to "shape" the news and the minds of the masses.

People had differing opinions and viewpoints in the 50's. But, mostly they were there OWN viewpoints based on their OWN intellectual digestion of the FACTS (as they knew them.) Today, people are "reactionary" in their opinions and beliefs, based on WHICH "biased" news source they follow.

Remember the PSA campaign that "A mind is a terrible thing to waste?" It was a plea for better EDUCATION of our youth. It equally applies to the "gullibility" of the American masses.

Any "mind" that can't, or won't, do its OWN thinking, deserves the government that it gets... or THINKS it gets. :roll:

I gotta go now. The "NEWS" is on! :lol2:

Old 02-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
The whole email was just a CNN video? Then there should have been a LINK. Besides.... it was probably a Lou Dobbs video! He claims to be an Independent, and I trust CNN over FOX, but he twists more facts than Rush Limbaugh! :thumbsdown:

I'm "vaguely" aware of the legislation you refer to. If it is what I think it is, it IS several years old. And very FEW of the "facts" you listed are what is actually on the table. And.... many of them have probably NOT passed Congress yet.

In your original post, you said "all of this comes from CNN, the Lovely Liberal Network. Well.... if it IS actual legislation, CNN has nothing to DO with it other than to REPORT it! So, why the SLAM against CNN? Networks may present a BIAS on the news, but they don't MAKE it!

You started out blaming America.... and ended up making an insinuation about CNN. Maybe, I'm reading your comments wrong.

Point is.... there are a WHOLE lot of HOLES in what your "email" reported. I'm not disputing that our Immigration laws are desperately flawed, but they were just as bad under Reagan. But, the majority of what you "relayed" has NOT yet become law!

Like the Rev, I just want to SEE with my own eyes, or HEAR with my own ears, the SOURCE article/video for the email you are propogating! That way I can discern what is truth and what is HYPE.

I want to know the actual WORDING of whatever legislation is being referenced so that I can "interpret" the "spirit" of the legislation for myself!

No offense, Larry, but like others here I grew up with David Brinkley and Chet Huntley. Perhaps, some here that are older than me will see it differently....but, I recall those years as a time when news reporters and anchors REPORTED the news, instead of OPINING on it! In today's 24 hour news cycle, every hour there is another so-called "journalist" who spends more time "spinning" the (so-called "BREAKING") news than reporting it.... and Bill O'Reilly is no different! I don't trust ANY of them!

MUCH LESS some guy like me with an opinion who happens to have a BLOG!

Here's your assignment for the day, Larry. Google "yellow press" and "indoctrination" and spend a couple of days comparing what you learn to what you see on T.V., or hear on "Conservative Radio" or read on Blogs on the Internet.

When you are done, you will have earned the equivalent of a degree in Journalism, (in today's world) and be maybe HALFWAY close to understanding the POWER of the media to "shape" the news and the minds of the masses.

People had differing opinions and viewpoints in the 50's. But, mostly they were there OWN viewpoints based on their OWN intellectual digestion of the FACTS (as they knew them.) Today, people are "reactionary" in their opinions and beliefs, based on WHICH "biased" news source they follow.

Remember the PSA campaign that "A mind is a terrible thing to waste?" It was a plea for better EDUCATION of our youth. It equally applies to the "gullibility" of the American masses.

Any "mind" that can't, or won't, do its OWN thinking, deserves the government that it gets... or THINKS it gets. :roll:

I gotta go now. The "NEWS" is on! :lol2:
Actually I don't watch news on tv, I read the paper and I look at both Fox,CNN, and other news networks but I don't look at blogs!

No offense taken and I've noticed that with the way they report the news. They just spin the facts and they only report what someone wrote for them. I want the days of real journalism when people had their OWN opinions not what the news station told them to say to make them look good.

That is the problem with society they want the government to make decisions for them! I want to make my own decisions not have some government do it for me! Like this no child left behind act is a bunch of BS! I will tell ya receiving an education today is nothing like it was in your day Golfhobo. It's a damn shame the teachers will pass everyone even though who slack off. It's like being a union, is what I compare it to! I know I got first hand experience, I'm a senior in high school and graduating in May! I worked my ass off for the past 4 years.

Last edited by Double L; 02-15-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Board Icon

Quote:

No offense taken and I've noticed that with the way they report the news. They just spin the facts and they only report what someone wrote for them. I want the days of real journalism when people had their OWN opinions not what the news station told them to say to make them look good.
All news media outlets have their own spin on the news, and they always have. It's just in this day and age, the ones you disagree with are sent to you via email, usually with some text that states you should disagree with them.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I post stuff like this to inform people of what our Government is doing! WE the taxpayers have every damn right to see and hear what they are doing!
Quote:
It was a CNN video!!!!!
You claim this without any proof at all. Not one single shred of evidence to back your claim up. Just because you saw it in an email does not make it fact. The FACT that nobody here can find this mysterious article or anything about it makes it false. It is incumbent upon you to provide proof for your ridiculous argument. But then again why would you let facts get in the way of this yarn you chose to spin?

I know we are supposed to attack the post and not the poster, but when you repeatedly post nonsense on here it makes it very difficult. Is that not the very reason you left last time, because you spouted off and nobody would agree with you?
Old 02-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandkw View Post
Is that not the very reason you left last time, because you spouted off and nobody would agree with you?

Actually no that was not the reason I left!
Old 02-15-2009, 11:35 PM
Board Icon

Rev said:

Quote:
All news media outlets have their own spin on the news, and they always have.
Really? And you know this how? You were BORN in the midst of the Anti (Vietnam) War age of journalism, and the Watergate investigation.... one of the FIRST, or at least most prominent, ground breaking acts of "investigative" journalism. I dare say... the impetus OF what we suffer through today.

You probably don't remember Black and White T.V. ..... or snowy pictures, or only 3 networks, let alone nightly "sign-offs" by the major network broadcasters. And you sure as Heck never heard Chet, David or Walter REPORT the news. Did you know, as THEY did, that the FIRST law of journalism is to be OBJECTIVE?

Yes, newspapers of "the day" were often biased, but not like they are today. Southern papers reported the Civil War differently than Northern papers. But, I saw the Kennedy assassination on the news just after it happened, and (compared to today) I can't remember any "bias" on ANY of the channels reporting it.

Quote:
It's just in this day and age, the ones you disagree with are sent to you via email, usually with some text that states you should disagree with them.
Yes, and it goes beyond that. I am a "registered" Democrat. But, for the last few years my email inbox has been stuffed with "alerts" from the Republican party (thanking me for my expected support) come election time. Either they are stoopid as heck, or they have an insidious "plan." Considering the fact that they are Republicans.... I'm still trying to decide which! :hellno::lol2:

Trust me Rev, there was a time in this country when the news was reported WHEN it became NEWS. There were always OP-ED pages, but the news was reported AFTER it happened! That USED to be the definition and assignment of a NEWS reporter. In fact, the very root definition of a "journalist" is one who annotates the EVENTS of life AFTER they happen. :roll:

I'm not saying it is such a BAD thing that today's "personalities" give us their opinions of what some "bill" might mean according to their biased opinions. I'm just saying they shouldn't call it "Fair and Balanced" or NEWS "reporting." And I could do with a little less "smirking" while they do it.

Especially since most of them are just reading their "opinions" and "interpretations" off of a teleprompter/computer. Shepherd Smith comes to mind. I LOVE the guy! But, it is so obvious that he is just a SHILL for the owners/editors of FOXNEWS that, if I were him, I'd be ashamed to put on my "uniform."

We, as governed Americans, have a "truth in lending" law.... we've seen how well THAT works. We have a "Sherman Anti-Trust" law... trashed! We have a "Freedom of information Act" that has been trampled and obstructed for 8 years under Dubya. We have a "fourth Ammendment" that has been obliterated by the Patriot Act, and yes.... we have the 2nd Ammendment that has been abridged over the years by numerous and diverse Administrations. :roll:

The LAST bastion of a free people, is a free PRESS! And when THAT goes.... as it HAS.... we have lost all chances of being an informed and free people.

And when we surrender our own free thinking to that of the biased, divisive and hatefull "bloviation" of those who "blog" their own limited, and ignorant viewpoints, we have lost touch with the "age of reason," and we are LOST!

And I lay this catastropic burden SQUARELY on YOUR generation, Rev! Not you, personally. But on your contemporaries. And you can't throw it back on ME.... I bought a BETA VCR!!! :lol2::lol2:

Old 02-16-2009, 01:52 AM
Senior Board Member

There was a big amnesty of illegal aliens back in the 70's. I think Jimmy Carter is who signed that "one time deal" bill. That was back when news was reported as news...and ONLY NEWS was reported (not all this kiss and tell BS that gets reported now). Chet Huntley had died...but David Brinkley(NBC) and Walter Cronkite(CBS) were going great guns. Harry Reasoner was on ABC.

CNN was still only a brain fart that Ted Turner was having.

In the 80's Reagan did an amnesty too. Don't know how many were covered by it...don't really care anymore.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:43 AM
Board Icon

Quote:

Trust me Rev, there was a time in this country when the news was reported WHEN it became NEWS. There were always OP-ED pages, but the news was reported AFTER it happened! That USED to be the definition and assignment of a NEWS reporter. In fact, the very root definition of a "journalist" is one who annotates the EVENTS of life AFTER they happen.
You are trying to compare apples to oranges. Comparing the bias of news sources today with news sources of the past is not a valid comparison. Just because the bias of the past wasn't as "flamboyant" as it is today doesn't mean it didn't exist. News organizations covered up the fact that FDR used a wheelchair. News organizations covered up the JFK scandals. Is that "objective"?