User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking No more curve balls with the flat rate crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
By the way: OTR drivers are specifically exempt from minimum wage laws in the US. You should know this cdswans. And i do indeed know my guzzintas having a BS in Biology with an Organic Chemistry Minor my math go's up through The Calculas.
All that tuition money and you're driving a truck? Knowing how to do math and being good at it aren't necessarily the same thing. As for reading comprehension, truck Drivers are exempted from the OVERTIME provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act and not the minimum wage requirement.

My reply to this thread was directed to all Drivers who mistakenly believe they are being paid per mile. I picked you as my student because you started the thread. I have no doubt as to your qualifications and abilities . . just trying to inject a little humor. You do think I'm funny, right, Jon?

Last edited by cdswans; 01-11-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavega View Post
as soon as i had hooked to the load and found out that it was a short haul, that's when you ask the qualifying questions. if you're already at the consignee you've committed to the load and basically it's too late. the key to salvaging the situation with them is to suck this one up, and never let it go that far again.

back to the game
I did that the night before. I sent a message to the night dispatch and being useless as always they told me to get with my fleet manager in the morning.

You are correct. The next time I will immediately ask about it before I put my truck under it.

The post was more about the response from the the fleet manager about how i was to be paid and not about the load itself.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Senior Board Member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswans View Post
All that tuition money and you're driving a truck? Knowing how to do math and being good at it aren't necessarily the same thing. As for reading comprehension, truck Drivers are exempted from the OVERTIME provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act and not the minimum wage requirement.

My reply to this thread was directed to all Drivers who mistakenly believe they are being paid per mile. I picked you as my student because you started the thread. I have no doubt as to your qualifications and abilities . . just trying to inject a little humor. You do think I'm funny, right, Jon?
I think your wasting that fine Guiness on that friggin lobster!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Senior Board Member
Talking

All drivers of Commercial Motor Vehicles are exempt from both. This is why you don't get overtime pay. As a CDL you are subject to Federal Law not state law as it pertains to your pay.

And I had to read the post a couple of times to figure out what guzzintas was. Thought it was Italian or something,
Old 01-11-2009, 12:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswans View Post
just trying to inject a little humor.
you didn't think that was funny did you? condescending? yes,funny no.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:28 AM
Board Regular

Lobster Guy, can you pull up the actual wording from the fair labor and standards act that actually says that truck drivers are entitled to minimum wage. I do not believe a clause exist in there.

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:45 AM
Senior Board Member
Default One step forward and . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Lips View Post
Lobster Guy, can you pull up the actual wording from the fair labor and standards act that actually says that truck drivers are entitled to minimum wage. I do not believe a clause exist in there.
No. Truck Drivers are not expressly included. All workers, including truck Drivers are included. I would be happy to post the language that exempts truck drivers from the OVERTIME provision. Do you understand that? There is no exclusion from the minimum wage. There is no language to quote. Minimum wage is the hourly "floor" for all worker/employees except for expressly exempted agrislaves.

Go to your terminal and look for the prominently displayed poster that begins with "attentionne los trobajadores . . (literally: illegal, south american, resource plundering interlopers)" Next to it, you'll find a smaller, yet similar poster in, of all languages, ENGLISH. You'll find it very helpful as you try to understand why illegal workers make (at least) the same loot as you and it enumerates your rights as an "at will" employee. Upon that poster, you'll likely notice 3 numerals, a $ symbol and a decimal point in close proximity to words that look like F E D E R A L M I N I M U M W A G E. The FMW is the lowest amount of money your employer can legally pay you per hour unless your STATE has set a higher wage.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
All drivers of Commercial Motor Vehicles are exempt from both. This is why you don't get overtime pay. As a CDL you are subject to Federal Law not state law as it pertains to your pay.
Would you be so kind as to provide a link to support your absurd declarations?

Thanks in advance . . and Good Luck!
Old 01-11-2009, 05:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
you didn't think that was funny did you? condescending? yes,funny no.
I try to be respectful. Condescending is in the eye of the condensed (rim shot). Please, be more specific.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
cdswans: no, I was not canned. I thought I was clear on how we are supposed to get paid but realize that was on another post so let me say it again. Every driver, not including those who are local and paid by the hour and dedicated drivers, that is the rest of us are paid on a sliding scale. If the load is 75 miles or less and pick-up in a yard and go's to a customer or picks up at a shipper and is dropped at a yard we are supposed to be paid "shuttle" which is hourly. This is the time we are dispatched and accept the load to when we drop it - logged time. If its longer than that then we are paid mileage plus extra based on the distance of the load. Example: if the load mt to mt (dh to get it, pick it up and drive it somewhere and do an mt call) is 100 miles then we are paid our mileage rate for 100 miles plus $35. This go's out to 300 miles where we get an extra $15 then is straight mileage after that.

When I got the load I was not clear how they were going to pay me. Either $45 shorthaul which was fine or shuttle for the time I was there at $10.50/hour which also was ok. I was just going to sit on my butt at the yard and wait to get my next load so I figured some extra work was ok with me. When I was given the answer "miles" my reaction wasn't very good as I figured I just had been had and after 17 yrs on the road I don't work for free. I am also quite forceful when my paycheck and my job are on the line. I don't take no for an answer and rudeness or threatening me with my job just does not work on me. They would have paid a local guy whatever they pay them per hour and they wanted to pay me $3.40? No, No, No. I was at the customer 4 hours so this is where that number comes from.

How I was paid was unclear to me as It was not explained adequately and the drivers manual was clear as mud on regional drivers as it said "regional drivers should ask their fleet managers how they are paid" . Also, my fleet manager didnt answer my questions clearly on this subject and was fired last week so I had nothing to go on. Sometimes I got shorthaul, sometimes not and I cant figure out why.

I took this job because it was the only one that I could find. I wasnt happy with it and was under no illusions as to how I was going to be treated by a mega carrier but I thought this beyond the pale for even JBHunt.
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.