User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Here's something you might like to look at!

Well, I finally figured out how to do "photobucket".....and I posted this there, and I thought I would put it here for you all to see....

If you want to see it for yourself....its just a couple of miles south of I-80, exit 86 on IA-25 north of Greenfield, IA. I get to see it every once in a while when I deliver in Greenfield. One of these days, if its not raining....I'm going to get pictures of the back side of the boulder.

Whats interesting about this....is that its a big boulder out in the middle of nowhere pretty much, and someone has made it into a monument to Veterans. It looks even better in real life than in the picture!

If you get a chance to stop and see it...do! There is a lot across the road from it that is big enough to park in and turn around as well.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Last edited by mike3fan; 12-14-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Board Icon

Well, I suspect THIS thread will get out of hand rather quickly! :lol2:

I understand the reason that Mike3fan posted his link to Snopes, but I fear it will be poorly received. The original post said nothing about WHY the flag is folded 13 times.

Although I agree that the narrative found in the Snopes article is ridiculously childish, amateurish, and indicative of the religious fervor of the misguided, it bears no relativity to the pride displayed by the artist of the rock monument. There is no flag being "folded" on the ad hoc monument.

I think it is imperative that we, as Americans, separate our pride in our veterans from our feelings about War. War is no more the measure of our Armed Forces than it is the answer to global strife.

But, I would also like to point out that, throughout our history, there have been good and honorable citizens who died for the "cause" they were given.... JUST or not.... that were not necessarily Christian, and in truth gave their lives for those in America (and elsewhere) who were NOT.

I think the ad hoc monument is impressive in its design and artwork (if lacking somewhat in its wording.) And I would proudly view it and salute it.

I note, furthermore, that the monument itself makes NO mention or "establishment" of religion and solely intends to honor those who have paid the ultimate price for the defense of country, while weaving throughout the ONLY true symbol of this great country.... the American Flag.

What many fail to realize is that the faces on that rock fought and died for a "cause" of country, represented and required by citizens of many different faiths and nationalities. THAT is what America IS! There are no religious symbols on ANY of those uniforms.... unlike the cross worn by the Crusaders, or the Crescent worn by the Moors!

Heck, even those dirty, nasty REBS fought under a flag of stars and bars! Even THEY fought for what they felt was an American ideal of Independence and country! And paid tribute to the American flag in doing so.... not some religious ideal.

Fact: The words "under God" were not added to our pledge of allegiance until 1954..... well after the faces in the top half of the monument were dead and gone!

Fact: In God we Trust is NOT the official OR the original motto of the United States! The motto is E Pluribus Unum! (One from many or one from many parts.)

Fact: BOTH were changed or added in the 1950's in a McCarthyistic "knee-jerk" response to the dreaded Communists.... who were irrationally equated with Atheism.

If I didn't know better... and I don't... I would think that the artist/author of that rock monument intentionally left out any reference to religion, both in visual and literal reference. The "cause" that he/she refers to, has not been equated with some moral impugnity.... but rather, a CIVIL responsibility and National allegiance.

And it is for THIS "cause" that they served. And it is for THIS cause that I honor them.

I don't know the statistical breakdown, but there are many MUSLIMS, Atheists and Jews serving alongside the Christians in our armed forces. They fight for COUNTRY... not religion. Heck, most of the Colonials that fought the British for our independence were Christian.... and SO WERE MOST OF THEIR ENEMY!

This great country WAS founded on religious freedom.... but, it was NOT founded on religious doctrine! What part of that part of our Constitution do SOME people not understand????

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
I understand the reason that Mike3fan posted his link to Snopes, but I fear it will be poorly received. The original post said nothing about WHY the flag is folded 13 times.

????
I removed the link because who ever responded to the OP with a long chain letter type response about the reasons for the 13 folds of a flag deleted their post,so just to show I mean no disrespect I deleted my post.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Senior Board Member
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
I removed the link because who ever responded to the OP with a long chain letter type response about the reasons for the 13 folds of a flag deleted their post,so just to show I mean no disrespect I deleted my post.

Well...since I know that you like and respect Skywalker, as do , I wondered about the dots..... I think that that rock is a pretty well done monument, I have seen it a coupe times...just never stopped to take a pic. Thanks Rob!!

Great post Hobo.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Board Icon

What I don't understand, is the Snopes part. If Skywalker took the picture of the rock, it's gotta be real. :lol:

That is a very nice monument.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 12-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
What I don't understand, is the Snopes part. If Skywalker took the picture of the rock, it's gotta be real. :lol:

That is a very nice monument.
There was another post there that the author deleted after the link to the snopes article was posted.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Board Icon

Oh ok. Thank ya.

I imagine the reason why the flag is folded 13 times, is in honor of the 13 colonies. I dunno.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 12-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Board Icon

Thanks, Stan. With all the deleting going on, I was about to delete MINE too. I certainly didn't intend to insult anyone, either.

I've seen a very similar "rock" somewhere, but it wasn't that one (cuz I've never been on that stretch of road.)

I only hope it will not be necessary to "raise" that rock up and put a bigger one under it to continue the tribute to the next wartime veterans.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
Oh ok. Thank ya.

I imagine the reason why the flag is folded 13 times, is in honor of the 13 colonies. I dunno.
That would be a good guess, Rabbit. Of course.... it might just have to do with geometry.