User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default CT. Heads up for snow and ice on trucks and trailers. $$$$$$

6/12/2008 Signed by the Governor (Effective October 1, 2008) Any person who operates a truck, tank vehicle, tractor, truck tractor or tractor-trailer unit, or who operates a motor vehicle that is carrying or drawing a trailer or semitrailer, as defined in section 14-1 of the general statutes, when there is snow or ice on the roof of such truck, tank vehicle, tractor, truck tractor, tractor-trailer, trailer or semitrailer shall be fined two hundred fifty dollars.
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2008/ACT/PA/20...B-00298-PA.htm
Old 09-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Board Regular

Although I can see the hardship of removing the ice, especially for van trailers, I can also see that this is a necessary law and should be a federal mandate. Last winter I saw a sheet of ice fly off the top of a trailer, strike the windshield of a 4 wheeler and kill the driver in Oklahoma City. The driver of the truck probably never knew he was at fault and continued on. The family of the innocent 4 wheeler had a funeral to go to.

Sure glad I pull a flatbed
Old 09-17-2008, 04:54 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

You know, this one is going to open up some heated debate. I don't drive a truck, but I disagree with the law because now you're asking drivers to climb up on their trailer and clean it off, risking their own health.

And putting up snow/ice removers at terminals only solves a very small segment of the problem. Most trucks get loaded down with snow and ice when they're stuck at shippers or truck stops and ice sheets form pretty easily if you're on the road when it's sleeting. So it's back to sending the drivers up a ladder to risk their life...how many times a day?

As far as other vehicles go, don't follow that close. Yeah, it's a stopgap measure and won't cover everyone, but what else do you do? You're damned if you and damned if you don't.

Stupid law to a problem with no easy solution.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Senior Board Member

There are people hurt/killed every year in Chicago by ice falling from skyscrapers. Are they going to start paying people to go clean them too? This is stupid! Just another attempt to place blame on someone for an accident of God or nature or whatever you believe.

When it's your time, it's your time, and no amount of prevention or blame is going to change that.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Board Regular

I wonder if my home state is going to warn you the first time, or keep you in jail until they get the money?

I know what your thinking just ask them.
Quote:
The Office of Legislative Research provides research and policy analysis to members of the General Assembly and their staff.

We make our reports available to the public through this website. We are unable to respond to research requests from members of the public. You may want to contact your legislator for help with your question.
http://www.cga.ct.gov/olr/OLREmailER.asp
"No taxation without representation"
Old 09-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Being a flatbbed I may be uninformed, but I was always under the impression that trailer roofs are pretty weak and cant hold a humans weight. I know I used to unload trailer sometimes at a tire place I worked at and the roof was a thin plastic looking material. The sunlight would penetrate through it! I aint getting on no damn roof for nothin. These people are losing their minds!

How about next, we can make a federal law that you must go on your house roof in the winter time to clear off snow and ice so that the mailman isnt struck by an icesickle of death!

These people have too much time on their hands.

Adapt and overcome.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbpard
Being a flatbbed I may be uninformed, but I was always under the impression that trailer roofs are pretty weak and cant hold a humans weight. I know I used to unload trailer sometimes at a tire place I worked at and the roof was a thin plastic looking material. The sunlight would penetrate through it! I aint getting on no damn roof for nothin. These people are losing their minds!

How about next, we can make a federal law that you must go on your house roof in the winter time to clear off snow and ice so that the mailman isnt struck by an icesickle of death!

Correct. Over half of the trailers in our company have fiberglass roofs. We've had them collapse under a load of snow on their own, let alone with the weight of someone climbing on top.

Another thing is the height - isn't there an OSHA regulation that requires a barrier of some sort when someone is working above a certain height? Sorry, but a fall from 13' 6" off the ground can easily kill a person.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbpard

I think I could go for a November to March curfew..... :lol:
Old 09-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Board Regular