User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default ATTA Girl!!!!

This has little to do with truck driving...BUT...I think each of us hopes that while we are away, our loved one's have the stamina and will power of this magnifcently brave lady!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080819/...FYkHBMHiQuQE4F
Quote:
POINT MARION, Pa. - An 85-year-old woman boldly went for her gun and busted a would-be burglar inside her home, then forced him to call police while she kept him in her sights, police said.

"I just walked right on past him to the bedroom and got my gun," Leda Smith said.

Smith heard someone break into her home Monday afternoon and grabbed the .22-caliber revolver she had been keeping by her bed since a neighbor's home was burglarized a few weeks ago.

"I said 'What are you doing in my house?' He just kept saying he didn't do it," Smith said.

After the 17-year-old boy called 911, Smith kept holding the gun on him until state police arrived at her home in Springhill Township, about 45 miles south of Pittsburgh.

The boy will be charged with attempted burglary and related offenses in juvenile court, Trooper Christian Lieberum said. He was not identified because of his age.

"It was exciting," Smith said. "I just hope I broke up the (burglary) ring because they have been hitting a lot of places around here."
God willing, every one of us can be like her!!
Old 08-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Board Regular

our company recruiter had something like this happen in Vegas. His wife had the back door open and thought she heard someone knock on the front door. When she came back she heard someone in the bedroom. She grabbed a shotgun and snuck in and found a guy going through the closet.....stuck the barrel right up against his Arse and asked him what he THOUGHT he was doing.......she said the guy almost killed himself diving out the open bedroom window next to the closet.

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 08-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Senior Board Member

I sure hope he learned his lesson that not every elderly person is defenseless and uses a cane or walker. :lol:
Old 08-19-2008, 05:07 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: ATTA Girl!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy

God willing, every one of us can be like her!!
While I find her actions commendable, I really don't want to be an 85 year old woman. :lol:
Old 08-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Good for her! When I started working nites I convinced my wife to learn how to shoot my 12 gauge shotgun. She didnt like the idea but did real well. She's only about 115lbs but I load it with target shells or a low brass small game shell and she's fine with it. We both hope she never has to use it. First they'll have to get past my Doberman! Unfortunately you gotta be prepared to protect yourself these days. Too many whackos.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Senior Board Member

about 10 years ago in tacoma or federal way (WA) i guy broke into a home that three old ladys lived in (72-78 years old) as he was beating two of them when the 78 year old one went to her bedroom and got her gun, walked beck into the living room and shot him one time (center of the chest) according to police he was dead before he hit the floor (she shot him with a 357 at 15ft.)

it was funny how you didn't hear anything out of the anti-gun people for about a month
Old 08-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Senior Board Member

From the article:
Quote:
After the 17-year-old boy called 911
She made him call 911 on himself....thats awesome. 8)
Old 08-21-2008, 03:50 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

One of my favorite ones that I've been laughing at for a number of years was a couple that had a "pet cat". It was the only thing that slept in the guest room, so the light never got turned on. Burglars must have casing the house for a while because that was the window that was broken.

At the sound of broken glass, the father got up and checked it out. He found the burglar on the floor on his back with their "pet", a 10 bengal tiger, lying on top of him, licking his face, and purring like a HARLEY DAVIDSON. The only problem they had after that was that they had to replace the carpet. The burglar filled his pants so bad, they could not get the stain out of the carpet.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flood
about 10 years ago in tacoma or federal way (WA) i guy broke into a home that three old ladys lived in (72-78 years old) as he was beating two of them when the 78 year old one went to her bedroom and got her gun, walked beck into the living room and shot him one time (center of the chest) according to police he was dead before he hit the floor (she shot him with a 357 at 15ft.)

it was funny how you didn't hear anything out of the anti-gun people for about a month
Hey!!! Now that ya bring it up....I remember that. The old lady got one of those "Hero" awards from the fire department, because even though she had been hit, she bucked up and retrieved her gun, and shot the little sucker, just like he deserved!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 02:14 PM
K-Mart Secret Shopper
Senior Board Member

It's amazing what some women are capable of...I would hope to be capable of such things, too. Trust me, if my kids were in harms way...the offender would have one mean momma to contend with!

One of my closests friend's wife's sister was killed outside of Okla. City about 2 months ago or so. I think the girls name was Jessica Brackett. She was living a shady life but she had the will to live. She was taken from her apt (where she lived with her boyfriend...who had been in prison). The boyfriend was hit over the head and knocked out or so he says (I do NOT believe that...I think he was involved). But they stabbed Jessica six times and bound her and took her from the apt. She managed to attract someone's attention because the police got a trouble call saying that a girl in car with such-and-such plate number appeared to be in distress. These two monsters took her about 30-miles outside of Okla City and poured gas on her and set her on fire! She somehow managed to walk 1/4-mile and got help. She lay in the hospital with burns on 85% of her body and identified on of the offenders...before she passed. Both were caught and charged but it was determined that they had been in prison together with her boyfriend. I haven't called him to see what has come about. There won't be a need for a trial if he catches her boyfriend.

I cried and wondered if I would have the strangth to do that if I were in that situation. That's a strong will to live (although she was living a lifestyle that was taking her down that path anyway). Nobody deserves to die like that.

I say that these old ladies have that "survival" instinct, too. If I were in a bad situation, you can believe that I'd want my mom as backup rather than my dad! When I ask her about our heritage (which is American Indian and German), she will just say..."You are half hog, half dog and half devil...but mostly devil". And she is still pretty darn tough.

Humphry Davy