User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Finally we know what everyone is talking about!

We have read on this website and talked to several drivers who always said we should get hired on with a small carrier in order to be treated right. Well now we know what they were talking about!!

After we left Knight Transportation we went to work for a very small carrier (22 trucks). We have kept in contact with the owner for the last two years, but he never had any turn over so we couldn't get hired. Finally we got the call and here we are. Working for a small carrier is a huge change and we can't believe we are so lucky (pinch me for I am in a dream for sure). The owner specs out the trucks with refrigerators, inverters, wrap around curtains, and higher quality seats. The trucks are very well maintained and we haven't had any mechanical issues (unlike Knight where we had to have the truck in the shop every other week). The owner knows us by name, asks us every week if there are any concerns, and if there are he fixes it right then and there. He also pays us for what we do, gives us good benefits, and a Christmas bonus! We are home EVERY week for a full two days, that's right a FULL two days and we are a team. If we need time off we just let them know in advance and it happens! We make runs out west and back, and we are preplanned 98% of the time on the return load before we leave (something unheard of at Knight). No JIT loads, no set schedule except the delivery time and pick up time on the west coast. After figuring drive time we leave when we want, so if we can squeeze in another half day at home we do. Dispatch is two people who have great senses of humor and we only hear from them if necessary. We actually enjoy stopping into the office and many times spend an hour there talking to everyone. We feel human again for we get plenty of rest, and have time to stop and smell the roses.

Most of his drivers have been with him since the beginning (12+ years) and we wish we had been there with him. One driver said he has been there 3.5 years. He said they would have to drag him and his wife kicking and screaming out of the truck for he would never leave this company and I agree!

So to all you newbie’s, hang in there for there! There are actually great trucking jobs out there, but you have to bide your time.

Doesn't matter where you have been, it's where you are going in life that counts!
Old 08-21-2008, 01:08 AM

Isn't it great working for a small company?

The place I work has 28 trucks, all flatbeds. All of the equipment is fully paid for and is also all virtually new. They won't buy a truck or trailer unless they can pay cash for it.

The trucks are up-spec'd T600's, the trailers all aluminum flats.

There are two guys in the office dispatching and a couple of ladies in the back doing payroll and other paperwork. They are a great bunch of folks. It's nice when I call in and they answer and say Hi and know my name. It isn't uncommon to sit in the office visiting for a few hours, and to enjoy the time as well.

I've only had one minor mechanical issue in the 6 months I've been here and it was fixed immediately.

The owner knows everyones name and makes a point to come out into the parking lot when a truck pulls in to talk to the driver to see how things are going.

The shop is well staffed with very knowledgeable and competent mechanics who care about the equipment and the driver. They installed an inverter for me for no charge. (actually took their 1500 watt out and installed my 2500 watt) Then helped me build a shelf to sit my tv and microwave on.

I usually stay out for 4 weeks at a time, by choice. When I am ready for time off I am headed towards home with the next load and told to give them a call when I'm ready to head back out. I just came back on the road after taking 6 days off after 40 days out. Not once did I get a call from dispatch asking me when I was coming back to work. When I was ready I called in and they had a load for me to pick up the next day.

I average 3500 miles a week and get paid practical miles. There is no qualcomm, only a company cell phone that almost never rings. I have never had to sit overnight waiting to find out where my next load was, I unload and reload the same day 99% of the time.

Of the 28 drivers, 22 of them have been working here for 15+ years.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:46 AM
Board Regular

Be GLAD that you found a small company that treats you great, not all are like that.

I was with one that had just under 20 trucks and i swear it was their mission to stick it to you any way they could. They didnt want you idleing the truck regarless of the temp (they checked the computer while you were at home). Didnt pay to fold pads but would charge you if you didnt. Had to beg for an advance to run a toll road to meet their appts. (i know this way is 1 hour longer but im not giving you $20 for the toll road). They thought home time meant that you can spend the day shuttling trailers and you can sleep in your bed tonight. And you had to watch your paycheck for every mile, advance and per deim or they would find a way to put a few $$ in their pocket. They finally got the keys back for their truck without notice after the dispatcher cussed me out and hung up on me for the second time.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:46 AM
Senior Board Member

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

WHO ARE THESE MASKED COMPANIES THAT WOULD DARE TO TREAT A DRIVER THUS-LY? (Is thus-ly a word??) :wink:
Old 08-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

WHO ARE THESE MASKED COMPANIES THAT WOULD DARE TO TREAT A DRIVER THUS-LY? (Is thus-ly a word??) :wink:
yes Orange, it is a word just like preshiateit :wink:

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee