User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2008, 12:37 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Yea I did get a ticket when I was younger, I was under the graduated licencing program in my province. I got 3 points and they sent me a letter saying they were taking away my license for 3 months and also a total of a $435 fine to boot! I accepted the ticket and after 3 months I was back on the road again! I was forced to take public transportation because of my choice to speed. The tickets that you get on in this province stay on your drivers abstract for 5 years without anyway of getting them off. It hurt me when I was trying to get into the trucking industry. I missed a chance for some pretty good union jobs. Now I have a great job and the ticket has rolled off my abstract and the suspension is being rolled off in May of this year. I think you'll help your son more by doing less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyh
No no, it was his choice to break the rules. Why should you have to suffer for him. In my opinion he should be finding his own way. You don't have to do anything, it was his choice to. You could say to him if you wanted to that since you don't have a car you'll just try to find your own way around. If that means him not going to school and missing a semester then I guess that is one of the consequences of his actions. We as a people have to be held responsible for the actions that we committ to. So if your son needs a ride well I guess public transportation or taxi service are available for him if need be.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyh
If your boy doesn't suffer the consequences of his actions he wont learn anything about being responsible for the choices he makes. He choose to do those things and he broke the law doing so. I hope if/when you take it to court that the judge will give him a huge fine and a long suspension to help him to make better choices for next time.

yea, thanks a long suspension so mom can suffer driving him everywhere, or should he just quit school and work so he wont need to go anywhere? I agree about the fine, but I hope he gets restricted to just driving to and from work. I already told him just paying them isnt an option, he is going to go before 2 judges and explain himself to them.

pretty stiff for a first time ever being in trouble. but you are entitled to your opinion, I intend to make this a learning experience, not to ruin his life. Did you ever get a ticket? if so, do you think it should have cost you your job and future? or did you learn from it and be careful not to do it again?
Bus would be a great option, but they dont have them here.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member

ok, my sons correction teacher called and said, since he has maintained an A average. and never done anything this stupid before, (that we know of) is a 4-h leader and is a teachers helper in the dare program, the teacher took it upon himself to call the probate judge, she wants my son to come and explain to her why he did it and how he plans to make sure it doesnt happen again, if she believes him to be sincere, she will ask the sheriff to reduce the speed to a lesser offense, if this happens and he keeps his license, he will pay the entire fine and he will drive to and from school and work only for 6 months. he will only drive the 4 cylinder toyota. I also intend to ask her to make him do some community service just to remind him.
I know you guys are trying to help, but I think losing your license for a first offense is a little much, I think the fear of losing it has made a lasting impression on him, and here's the REAL punishment, my wife is going to take him to karate class, go in with him and tell everyone she has to drive him around because he isnt mature enough to go by himself. Now that's a punishment!!
Old 02-21-2008, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavega

peanut butter cookies

preheat oven to 375
sift together 1/2 C brown sugar and 1/2 C granulated sugar

beat until soft 1/2 C butter

gradually add the sugars and bled until creamy. then beat in

1 egg
1 C peanut butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

sift and then add in 1 1/2 C flour, and then 1/2 tsp vanilla

roll in balls, flaten with a fork and bake for 15 min.
Thank you
Old 02-21-2008, 02:38 AM

Quote:
ok, my sons correction teacher called and said, since he has maintained an A average. and never done anything this stupid before, (that we know of) is a 4-h leader and is a teachers helper in the dare program, the teacher took it upon himself to call the probate judge, she wants my son to come and explain to her why he did it and how he plans to make sure it doesnt happen again, if she believes him to be sincere, she will ask the sheriff to reduce the speed to a lesser offense, if this happens and he keeps his license, he will pay the entire fine and he will drive to and from school and work only for 6 months. he will only drive the 4 cylinder toyota. I also intend to ask her to make him do some community service just to remind him.
I know you guys are trying to help, but I think losing your license for a first offense is a little much, I think the fear of losing it has made a lasting impression on him, and here's the REAL punishment, my wife is going to take him to karate class, go in with him and tell everyone she has to drive him around because he isnt mature enough to go by himself. Now that's a punishment!!
Gotta agree with you. I don't think anyone feels the kid should actually lose his licenses but only that he should have a consequence to reflect upon in the future. He's young.. you have to expect him to do a few dumb things. Too many parents try to make situations like these disappear completely. That is not doing a kid a favor.. they have to learn a lesson now and then.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny
Quote:
Gotta agree with you. I don't think anyone feels the kid should actually lose his licenses but only that he should have a consequence to reflect upon in the future. He's young.. you have to expect him to do a few dumb things. Too many parents try to make situations like these disappear completely. That is not doing a kid a favor.. they have to learn a lesson now and then.

I hope if/when you take it to court that the judge will give him a huge fine and a long suspension to help him to make better choices for next time.

this guy disagrees with you, but I understand where he is coming from
Old 02-21-2008, 03:11 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: A little good news anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny
Quote:
Well. he had 3 tests tonight at school and got 3 100's so at least I got a little good news.. the other good news is that my wife is making me homemade peanut butter cookies right now.
Oh Oh I lost the only decent PB cookie recipe I had in a move.. would you ask your wife if I may pretty please have a copy of hers. Thank you..

As for the kiddo.. if they don't mess up once in awhile you really have to worry. He will learn a lesson and move forward. Just be grateful no one was hurt.
ok here's the recipe and a bonus chocolate chip cookie recipe
pb cookies
1 cup margarine
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 beaten eggs
1 cup peanut butter
3 cups sifted enriched flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
dash salt

Cream together: margarine, sugars, and vanilla.

Add eggs; beat thoroughly and stir in peanut butter.

Sift dry ingredients and stir into creamed mixture.

Form into small balls, and press with back of a fork to make crisscrosses.

Sprinkle tops with sugar.

Bake on ungreased cookie sheet @ 375 degrees for 9 minutes.

extraordinary chocolate chip cookies

1 1/2 cups butter or margarine
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 eggs
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
24 oz nestle semi sweet chocolate chips (4 cups)

heat oven to 350
in large bowl beat butter, sugars, vanilla and eggs on medium speed until light and fluffy. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt (dough will be stiff) Stir in chocolate chips
On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by table spoonfuls or # 40 cookie scoop 2 inches apart Flatten slighlty
Bake 11-13 minutes or until light brown cool 1-2 minutes and remove from cookie sheet
these are the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever had!! and now that I think about it, the best peanut butter ones too!
Old 02-21-2008, 04:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
these are the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever had!!
not without walnuts there not.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
That sounds reasonable Fredog. Sounds like you have a good kid there, but as was said sometimes boys will be boys. We have too that's why we're boys. 8) The stories I could tell about my youth............. :wink:
Old 02-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
Quote:
these are the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever had!!
not without walnuts there not.
Quit trying to push your walnuts on us man!!!! :shock: :lol:
Old 02-21-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:

I hope if/when you take it to court that the judge will give him a huge fine and a long suspension to help him to make better choices for next time.

this guy disagrees with you, but I understand where he is coming from
Some people are just spouting for attention.. probably doesn't have kids or at least never raised them as an involved parent.

In my humble opinion you are handling this situation as it should be. You are making sure your son learns a lesson but at the same time making sure son doesn't over pay for his behavior. Parenting is hard work.. and I must say I respect you a great deal for being an involved and caring father. the role of father is too often minimized in our society.