User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 04:37 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default It's been raining here

They expect the river to crest tomorrow, 9 feet over flood stage. Thirteen tornadoes last week, now this. January in Illinois has been very weird this year! :cry: :shock:

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-10-2008, 04:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Global Warming?
Old 01-10-2008, 05:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
Global Warming?

Global warming cracks me up ...sure the earth may be warming up ,but what the tree huggers fail to recall is that the earth has shifts in climate ,and structure ...do you think the landscape of the earth has always resembled the current state of land mass and water bodies ? , and do you honestly beleive that the way the land is currently will stay this way forever ...One other thing that tree huggers fail come to grips with is that science supports the existance ,and the extiction of species occupying the planet long before humans ,and also supports drastic climat changes ,and the changes of land mass and water bodies ,and none of these past life forms drove vehicles driven by combustion engines ,but they're gone ,and I'd be willing to bet the human species will be no different in the cycle of ..NATURAL...global changes and the cycle of exsistance ,and extinction it brings ...But it seems people would rather beleive it is in their power to offset and stop these natural un stoppable cyclic changes of the planet . :wink:
Old 01-10-2008, 06:01 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Would you guys mine sending some global warming up here?

We are now experiencing the coldest winter in 50 years...we have had more snow, earlier snow than I can remember...

Here's what I've been dealing with...

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 01-10-2008, 06:14 AM
Senior Board Member

yeah, that's why I put a ? at the end.

I'm not a true believer in this as an actually occuring fact- actually facts are we humans haven't been around long enough with a means to accuately measure and record temperature records--to know for sure that We are causing the said climate change. The mercury thermometer was only invented in 1724 and the celcius scale in 1742---so real comparable records only go back 300 years.

But, I do know we as humans are the first species on this planet with the power to transform it's surface, polute the enviroment, kill off whole species, and we are transforming the planet---in a negative way.

There are cycles that occur on a time scale greater than the last 300 years we've been keeping accurate records....very much possible we are on the verge of one of these.

The only problem is we are slow to (a) collect data and (b) come to a conclusive understanding of the total impact our mistakes/actions have made---and by then it MIGHT be too late. Once keystone elements are destroyed----the whole eco system can collapse and never recover.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:30 AM
Senior Board Member

humans are the first species on this planet with the power to transform it's surface, polute the enviroment, kill off whole species,

The fact here is that 99.99% of all species that were once residents of this planet are now extinct.

It is quite safe to surmise that humans will not upset that statistic.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Board Icon

This winter has been nearly the same as last year's in VA. It was 92 last year right after New Year's and then went frigid cold for just over a month where the high was 35. Yesterday was 75 and the weather is showing that it is about to turn cold again. Following just like last year, tough cold snaps earlier on to real warm temps back to real cold to finish the year.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Jackson
humans are the first species on this planet with the power to transform it's surface, polute the enviroment, kill off whole species,

The fact here is that 99.99% of all species that were once residents of this planet are now extinct.

It is quite safe to surmise that humans will not upset that statistic.
THAT "statistic" is a "statistical IMPOSSIBILITY." You are spreading MANURE! :lol:

Other than the Dinosaurs (which is just a FEW species,) the REST of us are pretty much still HERE! Amoeba, fish, fowl, beast, primates and human!

But ONLY humans have the power to "industrialize" and pollute! SURE there is a CYCLE of temperatures for the planet, but the OZONE layer has always been PART of that cycle..... until "greenhouse gasses!" :roll:

There is "incontravertible proof" that industrialization/pollution has CHANGED the NATURAL CYCLE! And it seems, that only a MINOR change is enough to make a MAJOR change in the cycle!

OTHER than "natural selection" it is a FACT that humans have caused the extinction of many "species," through hunting AND "development" (see Snail Darter and some stupid OWL.... who were not HUNTED, but lost their "environment.")

IF..... as the "Evolutionists" want to believe..... there is a NATURAL progression of life and species.... WE have certainly upset the applecart!

Ask the Polar bears who are drowning because the iceflows have broken up if ANYONE in THEIR history ever "foresaw" this??? :roll:

YES, there certainly IS a "natural" ebb and flow from Ice Age to Desert sands! The Serengeti USED to be a "fertile" land! But, it is EASY for scientists to guage the INCREMENTALISM of these changes over history, and the FACT is...... it has been METABOLIZED by OUR presence on the planet.... specifically AFTER the Industrial Revolution! :roll:

(Whoever mentioned the lifespan of the mercury thermometer has NOT seen the TLC shows on ice boring in Greenland! )

MOST of you who "scoff," don't even understand that Global "Warming" is a bit of a misnomer! It's AFFECTS include colder winters AND drier summers, depending on the movement of the HOLE in the Ozone layer! So.... the harsh winters AND the droughts in the normally wet South, are BOTH part of the effects!

With even a SLIGHT "warming" of the atmosphere, the Santa Anna winds become more FIERCE, whipping fires through even DRIER vegetation! Rainfall that normally fills the rivers of the SouthEast, moves to colder climes, causing RECORD snowfalls and cold weather! Cyclones and Hurricanes that at ONE time affected only the Tropics, move into more populated areas! Indeed, even the deforestation of the Amazon has a MAJOR affect!

The old adage is STILL true..... Don't MESS with "Mother Nature!" But.... we HAVE!! And she is responding in a purely "physical" way!

Those of you who refuse to believe, or even CONSIDER it.... are today's version of the FLAT EARTH society! :roll:

And the really HUMOROUS thing, to those like ME.... is that MOST of you are the religious Conservatives who CLAIM to believe in the Bible, in which you were warned that you will "reap what you sow!" :lol: :lol:

For the more "Cosmic" minded amongst you.... consider that for EVERY action, there is an equal and OPPOSITE reaction in nature!

And for the Evolutionists, who believe the Dinosaurs became extinct almost "overnight" because of some meteor bombardment of the Earth, the "resulting" darkened atmosphere is just a more "pronounced" version of what our pollution is doing NOW! :roll:

Surely, there are some here (like Twilight Flyer) who have "got theirs," and don't give a DANG about the world we leave MY decendants (or YOURS!) But.... ALL our decendants will suffer the results IF we don't at least CONSIDER, in FULL FAITH, the "theories" that address Global Warming!

Prove them RIGHT.... or prove them WRONG!! But, PLEASE.... do not ignore them and scoff at them! I GUARANTEE that those who are involved in this discussion are NOT just "truckers" around the Petro Buffet!! :roll:

Right or Wrong, they are "schooled, educated and committed!" SOME of them, at least, are of the caliber of men and women who put us on the MOON! Could YOU have done that??

If there is even a CHANCE that they are right, PRUDENCE and COMMON SENSE would dictate that we PAY some ATTENTION!! Only a FOOL would laugh at his own BEHEADING!! :roll:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member

I agree completely--and I must have missed the TLC show on Ice boring.

So, are they taking some kind of core samples like tree rings---is the ice divided into seasonal- clearly definable "layers"??? I'm wondering how this would work for defining what the actual temperatures have been---to prove "global warming" as a man made event---the ice would have to be in smaller
layers??? since 1900? compared to all previous layers?? and this still wouldn't
prove global warming for sure---only that the region of Greenland had less
moisture(less ice) and/or higher than normal temp. It's too isolated to show a "global picture" are they taking the same samples at the south pole as well? so as to try to match them up--showing a "global" picture.

@RebelDarling Hope you didn't get your shoes wet taking that picture.
sorry, we seem to have hi-jacked this thread
Old 01-14-2008, 01:31 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: It's been raining here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDarlin

They expect the river to crest tomorrow, 9 feet over flood stage. Thirteen tornadoes last week, now this. January in Illinois has been very weird this year! :cry: :shock:
It's been snowing here.