User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Gas Truck Ignites At Station VIDEO

This driver gets a phone call on his cell phone while on the top of a tanker and the cell actually ignites the gasoline setting him on fire.

http://www.break.com/index/gas-truck...t-station.html

Old 12-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Read the comments.. it was static that was the culprit, not a cell phone, the truck was not grounded yet and screwing around with a gas tanker before some kind of ground is established is just not too smart. I'm not sure what the guy was doing on top of the tank in the first place.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Senior Board Member

That is terrible, I almost wanted my husband to be a tanker yanker.

Scary, I guess I will not call him when he is working.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:51 PM

Cell phones ARE NOT a sufficient source of ignition to cause gasoline fumes to ignite. I've used a cell phone around fuel pumps for many years. Obviously, I am still here..so I haven't "done blowed up" yet. :lol:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

From Mythbusters, Episode 2:

Using one’s cell phone while pumping gas/petrol can cause an explosion.

BUSTED

A properly-working cell phone poses almost no danger of igniting gasoline, even when surrounded by gasoline vapor with the optimum fuel-air mix for ignition. The actual risk comes from an electrostatic discharge between a charged driver and the car, often a result of continually getting into and out of the vehicle.

(This myth was revisited in episode 14 and it was busted again.)

From Mythbusters, Episode 14:

REVISITED: Using one’s cell phone while pumping gas/petrol can cause an explosion. (From Episode 2)

RE-BUSTED

The battery of retests the MythBusters performed reaffirmed their original Busted verdict.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
Read the comments.. it was static that was the culprit, not a cell phone, the truck was not grounded yet and screwing around with a gas tanker before some kind of ground is established is just not too smart. I'm not sure what the guy was doing on top of the tank in the first place.
You watch too much tv. As for the comments anyone can post a comment.

ANY battery operated device near flammable vapors can create a ignition and can create a static charge than can ground through your body.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Board Regular

Basically, there is no point in anyone arguing about whether it was static or the cell phone because we not only don't know,. we will never know! From what I saw, the guy that climbed on top and caused the fire was pissed already and the driver wasn't helping by not parking in the exact spot the ground guide wanted and having to move the truck twice. The guy climbed onto the truck and although someone else may have grounded the truck, it was not evident in the video. Whether the cell phone contributed or not, I personally think that the employee's bad attitude caused him to skip an important step of grounding prior to climbing onto the tank. I just hope and pray that he was not seriously injured!!
Old 12-12-2007, 09:05 PM

A cell phone can definitely ignite gas vapors, especially if you are on top of a tanker opening up the dome lid. Anyone who has opened up a dome lid knows that the fumes will make you take a few steps back. Many stations now have signs that say no smoking or cell phone use within 25 ft. There is a big difference in vapor loss between pumping into your car and when you open a dome lid on a fuel tanker, and I wouldn't be on the phone doing either, it's not worth the chance.

One thing is certain, if anybody walks up to my tanker smoking or on a cell phone while I'm dropping fuel they better stop on command or they will get dropped on the spot... guaranteed.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCT
A cell phone can definitely ignite gas vapors, especially if you are on top of a tanker opening up the dome lid. Anyone who has opened up a dome lid knows that the fumes will make you take a few steps back. Many stations now have signs that say no smoking or cell phone use within 25 ft. There is a big difference in vapor loss between pumping into your car and when you open a dome lid on a fuel tanker, and I wouldn't be on the phone doing either, it's not worth the chance.

One thing is certain, if anybody walks up to my tanker smoking or on a cell phone while I'm dropping fuel they better stop on command or they will get dropped on the spot... guaranteed.
Why on earth would you open the dome lids anyway? This whole video is suspect on the face of that. There is no need to open the dome lids to unload at a gas station.. AND, I've never been to a place where some attendant did anything but stay inside and lean on something. The cell phone thing is an urban myth! It's been tested, a tested and tested again. If you want to believe that a cell phone will blow you up,, then goodie goodie for you. You shouldn't be talking on a cell phone when working anyway.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Senior Board Member

I dunno? Hard to tell if it was static or something on the truck caused it. I watched it frame by frame and his hands aren't near the lid when it blows up. It blows up when he reaches in his pocket and pulls out what might be the phone, then it blows up. I would think static would make the vapors ignite instantaneously when his hands were down towards the lid?

I slowed the last couple frames down so you can see where his hands are. the frame rate isn't the best though.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCT
Many stations now have signs that say no smoking or cell phone use within 25 ft.
Most all of the racks will ban you if they see you on a cell phone while loading also if we are observed using a phone while we a dropping fuel at a station. No questions asked.... Your fired.

Yeah, the vapors coming out of the dome lid can be massive when there is fuel in a compartment. Sometimes we have to pump fuel out of the ground if there is a problem with the tanks. A second person has to be up on top of the trailer observing so you don't overfill a compartment and when that lid is open you can easily see the vapors going 2-3 feet in the air.