User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2007, 02:38 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well, just to weigh in for myself, because I can't resist...

I'm pretty much as far from the social conservative right as you can get when it comes to issues like this. If I expressed my views, I would just stir up a shit storm for no purpose, and it pisses me off that I don't feel free to express my views plainly, without being subjected to some huge argumentative onslaught from our well-meaning, but incredibly obnoxious Christian friends.

Having said all that, as much of a flaming lefty liberal Pagan treehugger as I am, those little crosses all over the place just don't bother me. Sorry. Get "IN GOD WE TRUST" off our money, you get my vote, but these little crosses everywhere? Nah. People should have whatever kind of funeral/burial/memorial is appropriate to their own beliefs. Just don't put one of those stupid things anywhere near my own resting place, and the rest of you can do whatever you want, no problem from me.

So while I don't think you're an ass, I can't agree with your position.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan
Well, just to weigh in for myself, because I can't resist...

I'm pretty much as far from the social conservative right as you can get when it comes to issues like this. If I expressed my views, I would just stir up a $&!+ storm for no purpose, and it pisses me off that I don't feel free to express my views plainly, without being subjected to some huge argumentative onslaught from our well-meaning, but incredibly obnoxious Christian friends.

Having said all that, as much of a flaming lefty liberal Pagan treehugger as I am, those little crosses all over the place just don't bother me. Sorry. Get "IN GOD WE TRUST" off our money, you get my vote, but these little crosses everywhere? Nah. People should have whatever kind of funeral/burial/memorial is appropriate to their own beliefs. Just don't put one of those stupid things anywhere near my own resting place, and the rest of you can do whatever you want, no problem from me.

So while I don't think you're an ass, I can't agree with your position.
Silvan--I see no diffrence for you to express your views, as anyone else.. IMOP you have just as much right! Wether or not is pisses anyone of or not.
I will be the judge
And the jury

Neil Peart
Old 10-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Who would The ACLU sue, Golf??

The roadside memorials are put up by individuals, and the state does not maintain them. In Texas, they are technically illlegal, as there is no registration or permit process for them.I'm not a Christian, and I'm no fan of The Christian Right. In many cases, I am also at odds with The ACLU.

Having said that, I do believe that the resources of The ACLU should be spent upon more pressinbg issues than little roadside memorials that have been errected by loved ones or friends of the deceased.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:42 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Crosses along the highways

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
I know that SOME of you think I'm some kind of bleeding heart Liberal, who would stand behind everything the ACLU stood for. But, that is NOT true!

I appreciate SOME of what they've done for equality in America, but I deplore some of their blatantly Anti-Christian stances.

Others of you might ALSO believe that I have a "Christian" soul.... and you may be right. My personal relationship/beliefs are not easy to understand.... nor explain.

But, I am BOTHERED by the MANY displays of crosses, with flowers and sometimes flags, little stones and stuffed puppydogs that I see around nearly EVERY curve in the highways/interstates that I travel every day!

Some on the shoulder.... others in the median. They are EVERYWHERE, and each one seems to be intent on "outdoing" the last! Bigger crosses.... bigger flowers or wreaths....bigger flags! :roll:

On ONE basic level.... I'm not sure I want to be REMINDED of what can happen to me every mile or so. And on the other hand....

I sincerely believe that the Separation of Church and State "concept/laws/whatever" SHOULD, in fact, make it illegal for such "displays" to be located on the "easement" or "right of ways" of public highways!

I have NO problems with the big crosses (sometimes a triple display) that are put on PRIVATE land that borders the highways..... but, I JUST can't get over what I feel is a Constitutional "invasion" of PUBLIC displays of religious symbols on FEDERAL or STATE land!

Please.... don't anyone try to argue the fact that the medians and shoulders of Interstate highways are NOT part of the government/public land. You ALL know they ARE!

But, am I missing something?? WHY has the ACLU not questioned this practice? HOW can this be "sanctioned?"

Has my heart grown too cold? Is my soul too black? Am I the ONLY one who thinks this is not RIGHT?

For those of you who don't drive OTR, and may not see this everyday, I'm telling you.... it's approaching epidemic levels! Two years ago, I saw maybe 10 per trip. Today, I would lose count after 200!!

I don't expect this thread to go on for 10 pages.... but, please.... give me some responses!

Thanks! Hobo
I agree. Enough with the cross's and roadside memorials.

The ACLU hasn't gone after the people placing cross's on the road because it doesn't offend minority's of a certain race, sexual preference or political affiliation.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Ben:

I'm not a Christian, a Hindu, a Muslim, a Jew, or anything else.

At the same time, the roadside memorials are for the benefit of the loved ones and friends of the deceased, and they can also serve as a reminder yo the dangers that drivers face.

No one is forced to look at them, but the can serve to remind us that very few people wake up each morning thinking to themselves, "this is the last day (morning, afternoon, evening, night) of my life, so they can have a usefull purpose.

I say "let'em be!!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Ben:

I'm not a Christian, a Hindu, a Muslim, a Jew, or anything else.

At the same time, the roadside memorials are for the benefit of the loved ones and friends of the deceased, and they can also serve as a reminder yo the dangers that drivers face.

No one is forced to look at them, but the can serve to remind us that very few people wake up each morning thinking to themselves, "this is the last day (morning, afternoon, evening, night) of my life, so they can have a usefull purpose.

I say "let'em be!!
I agree that no one is forced to look at them and I am not offended by the cross. I just think they are getting out of hand and have turned into more of a distraction than a memorial. I have no problem with a simple white cross but now you see teddy bears, wreaths, pictures...ect. I live with things everyday that I don't necessarily like or agree with but thats life. I don't feel a need to take any action to get people to remove them nor am I going to remove any of them. Golfhobo started this thread and he wanted response's. So I gave mine.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Actually Ben,

There are some legitimate concerns here.

From the standpoint of highway maintainence, they pose a problem for workers who are mowing, and as you stated, they can also serve as a distraction.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:01 AM
Senior Board Member

I honestly agree with Hobo on this one. People die in lots of places every day but it seems that only the traffic fatalities feel the need to place a memorial at the scene of the accident. Morbid!!!! People who have loved ones die in hospitals or shot in the street or stabbed in a bar fight don't put up crosses at the hospital, on the sidewalk or in the freakin' bar. Maybe we should go further and have the chalk outlines of the bodies painted so it's permanent! I see it as more of the already overwhelming VICTIM MENTALITY that our country suffers from. "Poor me! I want everyone to know I lost someone."
We all have! Deal with it, it is a fundamental fact of life. Leaving a bunch of crap on the roadside is just littering, what a tribute to someone you loved!

I was also raised that grief is PERSONAL and there are cemeteries to memorialize your loved ones.

RD

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-20-2007, 03:04 AM
Senior Board Member

I can't remember what state it was...but I think it was in the NE....the state actually painted crosses on the roads where people got killed. They later painted over them...because to many more people got killed or had accidents because they got so busy counting the crosses and didn't pay attention to driving.

Florida doesn't allow the crosses to remain in "rights of way". They will erect a sign with the person's name on it. If you have driven in FL and wondered what the "round" signs are at the far edge of the rights of way are where people have died in traffic accidents.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Board Icon

I want to thank ALL of you who responded. As I said, I didn't really understand WHY I was so bothered by them. Really, it was more a question of why the ACLU hadn't yet objected, as I understood the situation. After doing some googling, I see that they HAVE! Apparently, it is left up to the STATES, though I don't understand their authority over the rights of way on FEDERAL Interstates. But.... I feel better knowing that the subject HAS been "addressed," and I respect the decisions of the states.

This last week, I felt as if I didn't see so many of them. Might just be the cycle of Team driving. But, I was not so "obsessed" (as someone suggested) by them.

I don't know that my feelings about them have changed, but somehow, hearing all your responses HAS helped me to put the question into "perspective."

I appreciate that the majority of you didn't feel it necessary to insult my moral standards or beliefs, and offered only your OWN opinions. They were VERY enlightening and helpful.

Thanks again!

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.