User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 02:30 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Who got screwed worse here?

Well, to start with, I get paid 24.5% of my loads. I understand that the freight varies region to region, type of freight, time of year, cycle of the moon, tides, etc etc etc.

I had a load a couple of weeks ago from Craigsville, WV to Kissimmee, FL. The load left Craigsville on Monday morning and delivered Tuesday evening. When I left the shop with the paperwork to go after the load, they also handed me my paperwork for my preplan, which ran from Lakeland, FL to Newport News, VA. Both loads, ironically, were 807 loaded miles.

The load to Kissimmee paid the truck $1,614.00, which works out to $0.49cpm to me. The load from Lakeland paid the truck $600.00, which works out to $0.18cpm. Now, running percentage, I don't mind running a short run at low pay if it's going to get me to a load that pays something worth hauling. However, the load I went to after unloading in Newport News was 530 miles, paying me $0.30cpm.

I took my paperwork to the lead dispatch today to talk to him about this low paying load out of Florida. Of course, he told me that sometimes we have to take a low rate so that we don't have to sit. When I mentioned that this load was on me before I ever even left for FL told me that they didn't even attempt to find me something better. If I'd had to sit down there for 24-36 hours or so, sure, I understand. But having that load preplanned was just plain out wrong.

How can ANY company afford to take a load that runs 800+ miles for $0.74cpm and make it (that $0.74cpm is gross - take out my pay and it pays the company $0.56cpm.

This is undoubtably (sp) the worst paying load I've ever hauled. Prior to that I had a load that ran me from Abilene, TX to Atlanta, GA for $0.22cpm. I reamed the dispatcher on that one as well.

Again, I don't mind taking a crap load a short distance, but 1/2 way across the country?

What the Ef...
Old 10-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Some companies feel that they have to put something on the truck regardless of what it pays. Personally, I think it is a poor business decision to haul anything which doesn't make a profit. Some feel that it is better to put something on the truck, even if it only covers fuel. The primary reason rates are cheap in some areas is because there are those who continue to haul them for fuel money. If everyone refused to haul cheap freight, rates would come up to an acceptable level. I understand you may not have any say in what or where you haul, but if you haul cheap freight then don't complain about rates being low.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Some companies feel that they have to put something on the truck regardless of what it pays. Personally, I think it is a poor business decision to haul anything which doesn't make a profit. Some feel that it is better to put something on the truck, even if it only covers fuel. The primary reason rates are cheap in some areas is because there are those who continue to haul them for fuel money. If everyone refused to haul cheap freight, rates would come up to an acceptable level. I understand you may not have any say in what or where you haul, but if you haul cheap freight then don't complain about rates being low.
That's where it screws me, as a company driver. I have no choice but to haul what they tell me to haul. The only time we're not forced dispatch is from our home (only one terminal). I'm starting to look at other places now. I'm tired of crap like this.

Right now I'm in Winston-Salem picking up a load of groceries going to NJ. This load not only pays me a whopping $0.25cpm, but it also has a horrible delivery schedule, not to mention the fact that it's going to a grocery warehouse. When I get home on Friday, I may empty out the truck while I'm there.

I've talked to a number of our other drivers about this as well. We have about 60 company drivers and 20 or so O/O's. Probably 40-50% of the company drivers are feeling the exact same thing. The bad part (and the only thing keeping me here) is the fact that I'm home 9 out of 10 weekends, and even then, I choose when I'm going to do a weekend run. Also it's nice working for a small company where I know everyone there.

But that also leads to other problems. We have 6 mechanics. I've got into arguments about my truck (suspension needs major work) and they pretty much refuse to invest the money in the truck to repair it. This happens to other drivers as well.

I dunno...
Old 10-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Board Icon

Are you absolutely sure the load only paid $600, or is that what your company is telling you?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Outbound freight from Florida never pays well. Shippers know that there is always somebody willing to haul for cheap just to get back north. Doesn't surprise me at all.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Are you absolutely sure the load only paid $600, or is that what your company is telling you?
The $600 is what was on my paystub. If it paid more, I don't know about it and the owner of the company is absolutely furious about it (I talked to him 3 times today). So, I'd say, ya, the load paid that crap amount.

Again, I said I'm a company driver working percentage. I have basically no choice in the loads I get after I leave our yard, so I can't say "I won't haul anything under $1.25/mile (to the truck)". If I leave the company for a reason such as that, isn't it the same as saying no to cheap freight?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Rookie

sorry to hijack your thread but it won't allow me to send a pm due to low post count,but i am planning on moving to keyser,wv which is in the panhandle and i'm looking for a good compant to work for,i have 8 years safe driving experience with excellent work history and many safety awards.by the way keyser is in the panhandle close to cumberland,md
Old 10-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntdiablo
sorry to hijack your thread but it won't allow me to send a pm due to low post count,but i am planning on moving to keyser,wv which is in the panhandle and i'm looking for a good compant to work for,i have 8 years safe driving experience with excellent work history and many safety awards.by the way keyser is in the panhandle close to cumberland,md
No problem on the hijacking.

Here's some companies close to Keyser:
Quality Supplier - Keyser,WV
Tomar - Keyser, WV
Milro Services - Oakland, MD
Larry Wagner - Oakland, MD
Oester (close to Grantsville, MD in PA on US219)

I have personal experience with Milro - use them as a last ditch if needed. From the drivers I've talked to at the others I posted, drivers at Quality seem pretty content. All of these companies will have you home on weekends and run dry van for the most part. I think Larry Wagner runs some covered wagons, but mainly are dry van.

If I think of any more I'll post them. Those are just the ones I know off the top of my head that I see on a daily basis.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Rookie

ok thanks,i really appreciate it.i know of quality and wagner dosen't he have all really nice kw's and petes?
Old 10-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Senior Board Member