User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Twilight Flyer: I concur with you re: 18 xrays. They claimed that this was some new machine that gave much less radiation. I hope that was true because I told them I didn't need the lead apron. Otherwise, I just got zapped BIG TIME.

They said once a year visits get the 4 xrays; the 18 xrays was allegedly once every 5 years. They showed me the roots of my teeth-which was remarkable to me I didn't even know that you could see the roots. This was to determine if you had root problems. They also took the depth between the gum line and bones-this is to determine if you have gum disease. The only ones that didn't have enough space between them were all my molars. I'm sure due to the fact that I always chew using my molars. After he cleans and fills the cavities next month that may be my only two visits with him. EECCKK!!!

It seemed to me he was more interested in making money and not cleaning teeth like I've ALWAYS had done whenever I've gone into a Dentist. They claimed they had to look at my teeth and gums to make a determination re: which type of cleaning-deep cleaning for lots of tartar or light cleaning without a lot of tartar. Fortunately, for me I will have a light cleaning. Personally, I think they were doing this to get another visit out of you. That way they could charge for two visits.

I was surprised that it would be a light cleaning because I haven't been to a Dentist in two years, which is rare for me. Just got too busy in my short hometimes to make an appt. Always going to the regular Doctor and Asthma Doctor instead. My teeth have yellowed over the years due to the fact that I am rubbing the enamel off by scrubbing too hard. I don't drink, smoke or do drugs so it isn't from any of those activities. Consequently, my front "fake tooth" is now whiter than the rest of my teeth. Therefore, I want to replace it.

This is a wealthy area so perhaps some people don't flinch at a $3,000 porcelain tooth. However, this poor truck driver certainly did. My teeth have yellowed over the years due to the fact that I am rubbing the enamel off by scrubbing too hard. I don't drink, smoke or do drugs so it isn't from any of those activities. Consequently, my front "fake tooth" is now whiter than the rest of my teeth.

I asked the Dentist if there was something other then capping every tooth to whiten them. I can't do those bleaching techniques due to the fact that the enamel is worn way down. He was supposed to explain another process but never did. After 2 1/2 hours of being there I finally got "RELEASED". By that time, I was so worn down that I just left. I hadn't had anything to eat and was getting a headache due to low blood sugar!!!

I've heard about Veneers but no one has ever explained them to me. That was one of my questions for the Dentist before he disappeared and never came back. Got a laundry list of very expensive services to replace a crown, the tooth, fill the cavities-which I haven't had for years and the cleaning.

I will probably go next month and have my teeth cleaned and cavities filled but doubt I'll ever have him replace the crown or tooth. He's just TOO EXPENSIVE. I don't think my braces way back when even cost $3,000. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 09-26-2007, 04:25 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

That's just crazy. 18 X-rays? No lead apron? Holy moly! :shock:

I always get 4 and those regular x-rays show the roots. That's all they've ever needed and he shows them to me every time.

My cleanings are enjoyable, last maybe 20 minutes tops, and are no sweat. The only problem I ever had was my last visit. They had a new tech that apparently screwed up a couple of the exposures, so I had to get 2 extra x-rays. On top of that, the water line busted on the water tube. That was funny. I was in there for an hour, I guess, and was given a bunch of extra toothpaste and toothbrushes. I love that new Crest Pro-Health, by the way.

As far as your dentist, I'd be looking for a new one.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I bet he glows in the dark now
Old 09-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Board Regular

Twilight Flyer: Thanks for sharing your story with us, that was funny!!! Yoopr and Twilight I agree I hope that I don't light up anytime soon. At least not for that particular reason. Guess I won't know unless I get sick or something.

I didn't even think of being loaded up with "goodies" before my departure. I think I was so irritated that I thought I better get the hell out of there before I say something I'll regret. I was one HOT BLONDE. I did get to tell the Dentist that I thought they ought to tell people in advance from now on that they were actually sitting for 18 xrays. That's just ludicrous. I bet every person that goes through that must think the same thing. Especially anyone with a small mouth. I was gagging and you could tell I was in physical pain. I'm sure they get more money out of the Insurance Company for doing those. There's no doubt in my mind.

Yoopr: yes, I think having my cavities filled and teeth cleaned next time around will be my last visit to him. Don't care to find another Dentist to finish off the "necessities." 8) :roll:
Old 09-29-2007, 05:00 AM
Senior Board Member

I need to solve this problem myself, and find a good dentist around the Knoxville area. I apparently will never get to see my own dentist again, unless I'm willing to take a huge pay loss to sit at home all day for a one hour cleaning.

I miss that part of my old job (that laid me off.)

I had a good relationship with my dentist. Didn't go for years and years, and my teeth were rotting out badly. My four front teeth all had black rotten patches right at the gum line. I was humiliated to smile, and deeply ashamed of myself, and the little black dots grew into fricking craters.

Dr. Damon saved my teeth. I still have all of them, except the wisdom teeth. Lots of plastic, lots of amalgam, but I can smile again.

I smile a lot. I passed my last several checkups with no problems, but I missed my last appointment for a cleaning, and it's driving me nuts. I really want to keep my teeth.