User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 11:28 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Can Somebody give me advice?

Okay I am working for a owner operator right now running the ports in Norfolk, and Portsmouth Va. , doing the intermodal thing. Anyways it's not working out that good, because I have a baby now and there is no benefits plus I get 1099 at the end of the year. That's gonna hurt me bad at the end of the year cause I'm gonna owe the federal goverment alot of cheddar in 2008. Any who here is my problem, before I got my CDL I was a punk. A drunk punk at that, so I got about 4 misdermeanors. 2 of which are open container of alchol, and the other drunk in Public. The one that ius hurting me is a Open Container charge I had in Oct of 2004. Im haveing the hardest time getting a truck company to accept me. Except for Mcleod, but I don't know if I wanna go back on that route again. I have even been turn down by this company BTT to drive a owner operators truck doing the intermodal thing. That one blew me out the water, cause it is someone elses truck and they wouldn't let me pull for there company. Any way none of those charges involved a vehicle in any way. It was just me walking out of bars drunk as hell, and the Va Beach cops waiting outside of them to meet a quota. I don't even touch alchol no more. Well I got the CDL in order to change my life I have a baby and a mini family to support, but my life is not changeing no one is giveing me the oppurtunity I deserve. I have no tickets, accidents, or anything of that nature, my licence had positive points. Every company says my Dac is clean but its those pesky midermeanor stopping me. How can a guy trying to make a difference get a break in this industry. I'm a perfect driver and safe may I add wit a checkered pass that is haunting me. If anyone has any ideas or comments I will definattelly listen. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2007, 12:30 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Can Somebody give me advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Juggalo
Okay I am working for a owner operator right now running the ports in Norfolk, and Portsmouth Va. , doing the intermodal thing. Anyways it's not working out that good, because I have a baby now and there is no benefits plus I get 1099 at the end of the year. That's gonna hurt me bad at the end of the year cause I'm gonna owe the federal goverment alot of cheddar in 2008. Any who here is my problem, before I got my CDL I was a punk. A drunk punk at that, so I got about 4 misdermeanors. 2 of which are open container of alchol, and the other drunk in Public. The one that ius hurting me is a Open Container charge I had in Oct of 2004. Im haveing the hardest time getting a truck company to accept me. Except for Mcleod, but I don't know if I wanna go back on that route again. I have even been turn down by this company BTT to drive a owner operators truck doing the intermodal thing. That one blew me out the water, cause it is someone elses truck and they wouldn't let me pull for there company. Any way none of those charges involved a vehicle in any way. It was just me walking out of bars drunk as hell, and the Va Beach cops waiting outside of them to meet a quota. I don't even touch alchol no more. Well I got the CDL in order to change my life I have a baby and a mini family to support, but my life is not changeing no one is giveing me the oppurtunity I deserve. I have no tickets, accidents, or anything of that nature, my licence had positive points. Every company says my Dac is clean but its those pesky midermeanor stopping me. How can a guy trying to make a difference get a break in this industry. I'm a perfect driver and safe may I add wit a checkered pass that is haunting me. If anyone has any ideas or comments I will definattelly listen. Thanks!

Next time when you apply for a driving job don't list the misdemeaners.They are usually looking for felonies and what is on an MVR.IF Mvr and DAC are clean than there shouldn't be a problem getting a job. IF you list anything involving alcohol however than it may be looked down on. BOL
Old 09-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD60
Quote:

Next time when you apply for a driving job don't list the misdemeaners.They are usually looking for felonies and what is on an MVR.IF Mvr and DAC are clean than there shouldn't be a problem getting a job. IF you list anything involving alcohol however than it may be looked down on. BOL
As I'm sure any recruiter will tell you, DON"T DO THIS. This is bad advice that will get you fired. Companies check your background and will find the convictions, usually at orientation. Then they'll fire you and you'll have to pay your own way home. Be honest. It may take some time and lots of research, but you will find something.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:13 AM
Senior Board Member

I hope what DD60 is saying is just give the info that companies are asking for and do not volunteer anything. If they are not asking for misdemeanor convictions then do not give them out.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:29 AM
Rookie

Yeah Im not giveing up that info, supposedly there checking my criminal report and finding it there selves. I know about the whole getting sent home thing. JB Hunt sent me home plus Barr Nunn sent me home and I told Bar Nunn about them and they guranteed I had the job. But after the third day in back woods Ohio they sent me home. I lost alot of money on that one cause I had to come back home with less stuff then I went up there with. Cause they gave me a rental there, and I had to much stuff fopr a bus. try carring three suit cases and a tv in a laundry bag hopping from bus to bus. That is know fun, and I would recommend packing real lite to these orientations.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:11 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
I hope what DD60 is saying is just give the info that companies are asking for and do not volunteer anything. If they are not asking for misdemeanor convictions then do not give them out.

That is exactly what I meant. :wink:
Old 09-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Okay I am working for a owner operator right now running the ports in Norfolk, and Portsmouth Va. , doing the intermodal thing. Anyways it's not working out that good, because I have a baby now and there is no benefits plus I get 1099 at the end of the year. That's gonna hurt me bad at the end of the year cause I'm gonna owe the federal goverment alot of cheddar in 2008.

You should be sitting aside the taxes and paying them each quarter. If you can't afford to do that now then getting a job paying the same amount that does hold out taxes and then you can't afford to live anyway. 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

Any who here is my problem, before I got my CDL I was a punk. A drunk punk at that, so I got about 4 misdermeanors.2 of which are open container of alchol, and the other drunk in Public.

I'm glad to see that you seen to see that it was YOUR fault for the fix that you seem to be in now. Maybe a little slow on the up-take, but at least it seems to have sunk in now that your choices in life can affect your future.
The one that ius hurting me is a Open Container charge I had in Oct of 2004. Im haveing the hardest time getting a truck company to accept me. Except for Mcleod, but I don't know if I wanna go back on that route again.

I have even been turn down by this company BTT to drive a owner operators truck doing the intermodal thing. That one blew me out the water, cause it is someone elses truck and they wouldn't let me pull for there company.

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but at most larger companies, the drivers that run for a O/O leased to that company or a company driver must both meet the company standards as they provide the insurance.

Any way none of those charges involved a vehicle in any way. It was just me walking out of bars drunk as hell, and the Va Beach cops waiting outside of them to meet a quota. I don't even touch alchol no more.

Well I got the CDL in order to change my lifeI have a baby and a mini family to support, but my life is not changeing no one is giveing me the oppurtunity I deserve.

Once again I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you had the oppurtunity(sic) BEFORE you got the charges against you. The oppurtunity(sic) that you THINK you deserve is the oppurtunity(sic) that you have to earn by showing that you can be trusted to make good choices in life. ( Use wisely your power of choice ).

I have no tickets, accidents, or anything of that nature, my licence had positive points.

Every company says my Dac is clean but its those pesky midermeanor stopping me.

I'll be honest with you. If I were a trucking company I would be afraid to hire you because you seem to show a problem with drinking.

How can a guy trying to make a difference get a break in this industry.

I think you mean trying to make a difference in your life, then all you can do is try to make better choices in your life. As far as this industry goes..... it don't give too many breaks. You have to prove yourself first to even get a foot-hold.

I'm a perfect driver and safe may I add wit a checkered pass that is haunting me. If anyone has any ideas or comments I will definattelly listen. Thanks!
I don't mean to burst your balls here but it may take some time for your past to be a thing of the past.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Senior Board Member

i was going to say investigate having your record expunged, but after a little digging i found the state of virginia requirements

you don't give us all the details to know if you qualify. maybe a phone call to the lawyer listed for his free consultation?
Old 09-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Rookie

I don't qualify for expungement because I was found guilty. But me and my girlfriend has been looking stuff up on the internet, and I can write the governor a Letter of Executive Clemency. I can try to go for a absolute pardon, which is said to be real hard to get because it's like them admitting they were wrong for chargeing me. Or I can get a simple pardon which is some what easier. A simple pardon is like being forgiven for your charges. Further investigation into the simple pardon seems to show companies will perhaps give you a chance. The charges will still be on my record but it will have simple pardon next to them. I just have to right a letter to the governor stateing why I think he should pardon it. Then a parole board will look at it and see if I have enough merit for them to do so. It could take up to a year but I believe it's worth a try. Do you think companies will accept me if I get pardoned. Ohh yeah if you get a simple pardon you can not get it expundged. But a absolute pardon you can, but like I said that is more difficult.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Okay I am working for a owner operator right now running the ports in Norfolk, and Portsmouth Va. , doing the intermodal thing. Anyways it's not working out that good, because I have a baby now and there is no benefits plus I get 1099 at the end of the year. That's gonna hurt me bad at the end of the year cause I'm gonna owe the federal goverment alot of cheddar in 2008. Any who here is my problem, before I got my CDL I was a punk. A drunk punk at that, so I got about 4 misdermeanors. 2 of which are open container of alchol, and the other drunk in Public. The one that ius hurting me is a Open Container charge I had in Oct of 2004. Im haveing the hardest time getting a truck company to accept me. Except for Mcleod, but I don't know if I wanna go back on that route again. I have even been turn down by this company BTT to drive a owner operators truck doing the intermodal thing. That one blew me out the water, cause it is someone elses truck and they wouldn't let me pull for there company. Any way none of those charges involved a vehicle in any way. It was just me walking out of bars drunk as hell, and the Va Beach cops waiting outside of them to meet a quota. I don't even touch alchol no more. Well I got the CDL in order to change my life I have a baby and a mini family to support, but my life is not changeing no one is giveing me the oppurtunity I deserve. I have no tickets, accidents, or anything of that nature, my licence had positive points. Every company says my Dac is clean but its those pesky midermeanor stopping me. How can a guy trying to make a difference get a break in this industry.
Quote:
I'm a perfect driver
and safe may I add wit a checkered pass that is haunting me. If anyone has any ideas or comments I will definattelly listen. Thanks!
If I was interviewing you, the second you told me you are a perfect driver, the interview would be over and your app would be in the trash
also, no offense but learn to spell, it will make you appear smarter
one other thing,. there's no such thing as positive points on your license.