User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2007, 01:49 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I was living in Greensboro, NC when Hugo came through. But I was down on Myrtle Beach a couple days before landfall, playing in the rough surf under dark skys. It beat me to a pulp, but man did I have a blast.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Board Icon

I was listening to Shepard Smith on the Fox Report when Dean hit Mexico. The local reporter was telling Shepard Smith that local authorities were trying to get the surfers. Apparently, surfers from all around go down there. Well, the surfers were out there hitting the big waves, and they were having trouble, trying to get them to go somewhere safe. I was like, :shock: How stupid, why in the world would someone want to be out there in that mess? I was talking to my brother in law about it. He told me that surfers "dig" that. They are braver than I am. :shock:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 08-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Board Icon

The waves from a hurricane can get the size they do in Hawaii on a normal day. I was down in Va Beach when one was getting ready to skirt the Atlantic Coast back in like 94 or 95, I'm surprised they didn't shut the beaches down. The lifeguards were pulling people out left and right with the rip tides. You couldn't go out 5 ft(about waist deep) without getting caught up in one.

My uncle rode out Isabelle in Nags Head at his old beach house, said he would never do that again. Really shook him up with the noises he was hearing from the wind and rain.

I might ride one out just to say I did it..... :P
Old 08-27-2007, 08:41 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

I remember reading a book a long time ago, back in high school I believe. I think the title was The Hammer of God. It was about an asteroid that hit in the ocean off the west coast creating a mile high title wave. The prologue had a surfer riding it in through the city of Los Angeles and into oblivion. Would have made a cool opening scene for a movie.