LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 05:25 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
Still not in a panic over this...
I'm not in a panic. What bothers me the most is that the will of the people is ignored as usual.

On a side note. I think there will be a market for recovering abandoned Mexican trucks in the US. You know those guys will drive it as far into the US as possible and leave them in some truck stop. What a better way to get into the US than an air conditioned truck? Who needs to hop some fence or swim across some river?

Old 08-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
On a side note. I think there will be a market for recovering abandoned Mexican trucks in the US. You know those guys will drive it as far into the US as possible and leave them in some truck stop. What a better way to get into the US than an air conditioned truck? Who needs to hop some fence or swim across some river?
Great point! You know that will happen, they will have their kids stuffed in a fake fuel tank and the wife hidden up under the dash.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Senior Board Member

This is no big deal and it wont hurt the trucking industry one bit.
This is no different, in fact its on a way lesser scale that when we started letting canadian drivers do the same thing. Back then many were paranoid about that too.
These are only going to be very few mexican drivers bringing freight out of mexico ( not too many US drivers are doing that right now ) and freight back into mexico ( not too many US drivers are doing that either) so hardly anyone will be affected. Anyway most of that freight already goes by rail.
As far as the "danger" of mexican drivers that people are complaining about. From what Ive read about this, The mexican drivers and their trucks are going to all be inspected and more than likely held to a higher standard than our own trucks. The drivers will also have to abide by all the rules and regulations you do. I can guarantee they will be held to a higher standard with that too. No matter what you read on some of the foil hat wearing websites, you are not going to see meth addicted mexican drivers in rusted out trucks with no brakes. There are 1000s of mexican drivers already crossing the borders in their trucks and running short distances. I remember people saying that they would all be on drugs, causing accidents and driving unsafe trucks. Strange that i never read about any of them causing major accidents on the news.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not in a panic. What bothers me the most is that the will of the people is ignored as usual.

This is why people on that side of the issue just look silly to me. There is no indication that these driver will abandon anything up here. These people are going to abandon a job that they already have to become a fugitive with no license and no prospect of work? Yeah.. right... whatever...
Old 08-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Senior Board Member

I don't think it will ever come to the Mexican drivers coming any farther than they already do. I think it will be the decision of the Mexican trucking company's.

Can you imagine what Jim Bob's Truck Repair from Rock Rapids, Iowa is going to charge to change a tire for a Mexican trucking company? We thought price gouging was bad on gas after 9/11? Wait till the Mexican trucking company's find out what Americans can charge for labor.

I do think the Canadian thing is different. American trucks can "safely" deliver and pick up freight in Canada. How safe is it for the same American trucks to deliver and pick up freight in Mexico? I sure don't want to drive a truck in Mexico. When you vacation in Mexico you only want to go into certain places and or not leave the property of the resort you are staying at. American's can go anywhere in Canada and feel as safe as they do in America (American's are probably safer in Canada than they are in the United States). Mexico is a third world country compared to Canada and the United states.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is why people on that side of the issue just look silly to me. There is no indication that these driver will abandon anything up here. These people are going to abandon a job that they already have to become a fugitive with no license and no prospect of work? Yeah.. right... whatever...
Yeah, that's why there's 12 million illegal aliens in the country. Millions have come here and risked everything with no license and no prospect of work. These drivers can easily make a whole lot more money working in construction here than driving for the pennies per mile theey're going to make driving for Mexican truck companies.