User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Amatuer Radio Operators

Hey, who all out there are license Amatuer Radio Operators? Please not the key word was licensed!

What equipment do you run in your truck? Although fairly new, I am active, when home, with our local clubs which support emergency response and disaster assistance. All I have currently is my Yaesu - Ft-470 with a mag mount antenna I put on my headache rack when not running down the road (company restrictions prohibit adding hardware to the truck). I am looking at a FT-897D as my truck rig. Would like to be set up on the road, in case situation arises were the emergency communication ability is needed. Such as another Katrina or Greensburg.

I also have Echo Link on my PC, which works quite well with my Sprint AirCard.
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 08-19-2007, 01:23 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Amatuer Radio Operators

I think the 897 is a good choice for going mobile w/ an amateur radio station. I don't own one myself, I have its cousin the 857D in my pickup. It doesn't appear to be as menu driven as the 857, but I'm sure there is a bunch of menu items on it. Just be sure to practice working the menus so you know how to adjust the radio, and be sure to mount in a place where it will not be a distraction from your driving.

Give www.K0BG.com a look. Alan has a lot of info for mobile operators of all types, and there is a section in there for OTR Trucks who want to go HF. He suggests putting an antenna on the fuel tank steps, as I recall, because there is a greater RF ground potential (aka more metal) than the mirror mounts. He says the mirror mount is one of the worst places to put an antenna, and a braided strap won't make it less lossy (applies for CB as well, that mirror is taking your 1 kilowatt signal and turning it into heat). I like your idea of putting a mag mount on your headache rack.

I also remember reading one of Doctor Who's Amusing Story posts that he realized the length of his trailer was resonant with an HF band, probably 20 Meters, and he just ran a coax to the header board and worked CW and SSB with the trailer as an antenna! Only thing was that his modulation interfered with his marker lights so everytime he keyed up, his lights would blink... LOL

I myself don't have a ham radio in the truck, just a lousy CB, but if I were to put anything in it I'd probably put a FT-8800 or any type of single bander made by one of the big 4 brands, one that doesn't have a large menu interface, one button does one function, and is simple. I have a DR-235T for 220 MHz which is like that and it's so easy a cave... heh nevermind.

KC0IV, RadioRay, Dr Who are a few amateurs on here, probably some others lurking. My call is KB1NOK and my QTH is Nashville. I'm not very active on the air since I just tore my entire rig to make some well needed improvements upon it, but I have set up a little base station with my 857 to monitor a local repeater or two in town.

Let me know what you end up doing with your truck.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

i am not amatuer radio but got a few things to think about. I thouth TMC did not like adding any equipment, hence the company provided radios. also i ahve been told when i pursued other jobs that the linears were not allowed due to them frying all of the computer junk...vorad, qualcom, etc. maybe i am wrong but just thought i would throw it out there. also what does it take to get a license??
Old 08-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedfxg
i am not amatuer radio but got a few things to think about. I thouth TMC did not like adding any equipment, hence the company provided radios. also i ahve been told when i pursued other jobs that the linears were not allowed due to them frying all of the computer junk...vorad, qualcom, etc. maybe i am wrong but just thought i would throw it out there. also what does it take to get a license??
TMC does have a policy of not changing existing equipment or adding equipment that would interfere with the electronics of the vehicle. Thus the reason for the unit (897D) I am looking at buying. That particular unit is designed to be self-contained - thus built in battery. The draw on the trucks electrical system is no different then running the coolers they allow us to have in our trucks.

The key reason for having the Amatuer rig in the truck on the road, is emergency response and communication. Amatuer radio operators play a big role in catastrophes. Most communications are done on low power, thus no need for linears. As Hat Rack stated, a HF antenna can be made to work from just about anything, including a 48' trailer. Use a good tuner, and walla, you are on the air.

My HT (handheld) has the ability of 5 watts, but on 2 watts and a simple mag mount antenna, I can hit repeaters over 15 miles away, which then extends the reach to almost the entire south central Texas area.

Improperly installed linears, power converters, and other hard wired accesories can fry any and all electronics in a vehicle. Thus the time and knowledge to use the equipment properly.

As far as license, there are currently 3 levels available: Technician, General and Extra. A seperate test is taken to achieve each level, and with each level it gives the operator more bands and frequencies in which to operate. The Morse Code requirement was dropped back in February.

You can go to www.arrl.net for more information. There are text that can be purchased to study offline, also many valuable online resources for studying. You would have to find a club that offers testing in your area to take the test.

If you are interested, I could help you find that information, drop me an e-mail or just shoot another post on here.

Thanks
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 08-20-2007, 01:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I also remember reading one of Doctor Who's Amusing Story posts that he realized the length of his trailer was resonant with an HF band, probably 20 Meters, and he just ran a coax to the header board and worked CW and SSB with the trailer as an antenna! Only thing was that his modulation interfered with his marker lights so everytime he keyed up, his lights would blink... LOL
Actually, I loaded up a 45' chemical trailer which, was loaded with DMT, with 300 ohm twin lead run into a MFJ tuner hooked to an Icom 706 and worked 40 meters my favourite band!

The Icom is long gone but have found that the Yaesu 857D is great to use mobile!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 02:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
Quote:
Actually, I loaded up a 45' chemical trailer which, was loaded with DMT, with 300 ohm twin lead run into a MFJ tuner hooked to an Icom 706 and worked 40 meters my favourite band!

The Icom is long gone but have found that the Yaesu 857D is great to use mobile!!!
I was talking to my wife today while down in McAllen, and told her how much I wish I had the unit that I wanted so I could be up and running for the EMComm work, she had the nerve to ask why I did not get the radio, uhh, $$$$, not in the bank yet.

So looking forward to getting and 857D, heck even an 857 would make me happy. Is not the only difference the addition of the 60 meters (5 frequencies)

Dr. WHO, interesting on hooking up to the trailer, will be fun to try with a 48' aluminum flatbed.
Author Unknown

OOIDA