User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2007, 07:12 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Dave Ramsey

This has nothing to do with trucking but everyone could benefit from this. I am a very strong believer in the teachings and advice from Dave Ramsey. He teachs you about money, debt, morgages, retirement. etc,etc,etc. So in a way it does pertain to truck drivers. He is on XM and Sirius satelite radios Channel 161 on sirius 7pm to 11pm and channel 165 on XM 3pm to 7pm and repeat on channel 171 2am to 5am. Or you can listen online at Daveramsey.com. Moderaters please don't move this till you get a chance to listen. You won't be sorry. He has changed my life and can do the same for you. He has over 3 million listeners each day. So its not just me. Give him a try. I DO NOT WORK FOR HIM OR HIS COMPANY. THIS IS NOT SPAM!!!! I JUST BELIEVE IN WHAT HE SAYS.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:33 AM
Senior Board Member

I moved this to "Anything and Everything". Better suited here. And YES!!! I am a big Dave Ramsey fan. I don't follow him 100% but I'm very close to what he teaches.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:34 AM
Senior Board Member

As long as you take his advice for what it is - generic, common denominator stuff that makes sense in general but might not actually suit an individual. I don't care what anyone says. You can not learn enough about an invidual or family from a 30 second phone call to give them responsible financial advice.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 07-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Board Regular

mattangcobra,

Great advice and site. Reminds me of a book I read recently.
Consumers are constantly bombarded with temptation. Did you ever notice that your favorite store is always reorganized.Keeps you looking for what you need and allows marketers to slam more impulse items in your face. Or the truck salesman who " likes you" and sends you a birthday cards or invites you over for a "FREE Lunch ". How about the rule of reciprocity.... I will leave a kit of detail products to try at no charge..Just try them. Then you feel obligated to purchase that bottle of truck polish,wax or whatever when I return for my kit. It's an old AMWAY sales gimmick. People feel obligated to purchase.

FREE = There are always strings attached.

An excellent book about human behavior, sales gimmicks and more is called - Influence - The psychology of persuasion by Robert Cialdini.Many sales jobs require this as mandatory reading. Take the time to read it. It drags in spots but the knowledge you gain will be well worth a few DOT breaks.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Dave Ramsey espouses a philosophy which all Americans used to abide. We would all be much happier and have a lot more if we lived by what he teaches. Get out of debt and if you can't afford to pay cash for something, don't buy it.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Dave Ramsey espouses a philosophy which all Americans used to abide. We would all be much happier and have a lot more if we lived by what he teaches. Get out of debt and if you can't afford to pay cash for something, don't buy it.
Exactly. After my divorce and bankruptcy I vowed never to buy anything I couldn't pay for with cash. So now I have to exercise some patience and stash away money for things I want. I've discovered that I don't want much these days so the money just starts piling up.

Hi mom
Old 07-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Senior Board Member

If I need someone to "advise" me on how to manage my finances than I deserve to be in a finacial quagmire....whatever happened to self responsibility? Just my 2 cents....
Old 07-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99
As long as you take his advice for what it is - generic, common denominator stuff that makes sense in general but might not actually suit an individual. I don't care what anyone says. You can not learn enough about an invidual or family from a 30 second phone call to give them responsible financial advice.
First off, on the average, Ramsey spends more time with each caller than most any other talk show host in America; far more than 30 seconds.

2nd: The issue here is not one of "learning about an individual or family". It's mostly about getting people to see and understand where they have sabotaged themselves, and how to deal with that.

I am a STRONG advocate of Financial Peace Universtity; those who have read some of my orevious replies know that I require anyone who works for me to attand FPU. They may not think that they need it, but if you work for me, then you have to understand my pathroads of logic and reason.

3rd: Like RidgeRunner, I do not agree with Dave Ramsey 100%. That's okay, Dave Ramsey is wealthier than I am, AND he had to start over again at rock bottom with a bankruptcy albatros, so I would be a fool to call him wrong!!
Old 07-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog2036
If I need someone to "advise" me on how to manage my finances than I deserve to be in a finacial quagmire....whatever happened to self responsibility? Just my 2 cents....
Niether Dave Ramsey, nor anyone here that I've seen reply to this thread, is suggesting abdication of personal responsibility.

There is also a matter of financial education; sadly, their is also a woefull deplorable lack of sound financial education available!! The vast majority of people work hard for their money; unfortunately, all too few people have their money working hard for them. Is that by choice?? To a certain degree, Yes!! The problem is that all too few people really know the truth about how to make their money work for them as it should!!

The problem also rests within the fact that as Americans, we have been taught that material gratification is a right, not a privillege. The two most destructive words in our financial language are "I Deserve"!!

I remember back in 1975, as South Vietnam fell to North Vietnam, and during the evacuation of Siagon, many Americans were up in arms about how the Vietnamese refugees would land on our shores and proceed to clog up our welfare rolls. That presuposition could not have been further from the truth. They came. They worked; often times at rather low paying jobs. What did they do?? They went out and got two of them, scrapped by on very little, instilled the need for education in their children, demanded respect from them, all while setting the example for them. They were also setting examples for Americans as well, although many of us were too arrogant or self absorbed to notice.

Americans are NOT taught to treat their paychecks as the seed of their labors as they should be, but rather, they have been programed by Madison Avenue and Wall street to view their paycheck as the fruits of their labor.

Look, I'm not a Christian, but in Genesis, The Bible teaches: "By the sweat of your brow shall you sew your seed, and in sorrow you shall eat of it.

What does that mean in financial terms??

It means that we should eat the fruit that comes from the seeds, not the seeds themselves!! Every seed that we eat is a seed that can not be planted, can bear no fruit, and can offer no harvest.

FPU is about more than debt liquidation; it is also about changing behaviour patterns, learning new ways of thinking, and identifying the scammers who seperate well intentioned people from their money.

It is also about busting through and dispelling certain myths which are passed off as "conventional wisdom", and developing new perspectives.

Hopefully, my ramblings here might offer some insight as to why I require everyone who works for me to attend. Financial Peace University.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Board Regular

I listen to Dave Ramsey all the time. I started on his baby steps and love his teachings and his beliefs. He talks about American debt and American problems because his show is based for people in America but as a Canadian I've gained a lot of valuable advice I don't think I could have got anywhere else. There's no show like this in Canada. They all talk about going into debt and do lots of investing. I'm not into shows like that. I want a show that tells it like it is and gives us the truth about credit cards.
Dave Ramsey cares about the people he teaches and reaches. He'll send them through FPU if he feels lead to. He tries to help people through his ministry. I think he is a stand up guy. If there were more people like him in the world. We'd all be Christians and out of debt