User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

gator said:

Quote:
ON THE OTHER HAND...I was in Viet Nam during 1968. We lost 14,000 men during my tour there and...

Fonda cheered every loss.
Please provide PROOF to substantiate this LIBELOUS statement, or modify your post to show that it is only YOUR uninformed opinion.

Thanks.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Board Icon

Yoopr said:

Quote:
I was there around the same time as you but you'd have to get in the Line behind me.
And BOTH of you would have to go THROUGH me! (one at a time, of course!) :lol:

Old 08-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Most people who are not from Texas, or have not lived here, are not aware of the fact that in Texas, The Governor is really nothing more than a political figurehead with the authority to either sign bills into law, or veto them. The power of the Governor to grant pardons or commute death sentences is also very limited as well.

In Texas, the strongest legislative powers, and control of the political machinery is held by the Lt. Governor, and influenced, to some degree, by the State Speaker of The House.[/color]
Well Useless, this is where you're wrong. The ultimate power lies with lobbyist and special interest groups. :wink:
Well, actually.... I was under the impression that the real power lay with those who had CCW permits and strapped on their Six Guns!! :lol:
Hey, wait a minute, I have a CCW but no power. Man, I got jipped! :shock:

Old 08-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Quote:
deleted! :evil:
What happened golfhobo? I was going to respond and when I went to quote you it showed up as deleted. Oh well.
Greg: If you remember a specific part of it, and want to quote or paraphrase it, go ahead.

I deleted the entirety of the message because I felt I had gotten TOO emotional and perhaps spiteful. I am TRYING to turn over a new leaf! :lol:

I DID, however, save it to my notepad, first! I just don't know if I want to "put it out there" to enrage my conservative friends on this board.

Suffice it to say, if people will READ the entire Snopes article, they will know they are propogating and responding to a LIE and a HOAX.

Fozzy said it best. This HOAX is intended to unfuriate some people.... and it worked with ME!!

I believe the original poster said he just got it in his email this morning (although that may have been part of the email itself.) If so.... he is WAY behind the times, and not really worth my effort to enlighten.

If anyone ELSE DID have time to "quote" or copy my entire message, I would appreciate you respecting my wishes to hold it back.
Well, I don't have it copied and would not post it out of respect if I did. You had some very valid points and some that I would have loved to "discussed." :wink: . I could definately tell you were hot under the collar when you wrote it. :lol:

Old 08-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Board Icon

Yeah, I was HOT! :lol:

I'm a FIRM believer in the Constitution and Individual Rights, expecially Free Speech, Right to Petition the Government for Redress, Protection from illegal search and seizure, and no quartering of soldiers against my will.

If one studies deeply into the meaning of these rights, they will see that the first one or two applies fully to Ms. Fonda. The second one protects the rights of ALL "anti-war protestors" (along with the right to assemble which I didn't mention,) the third one CLEARLY makes the Bush wiretapping program, in direct conflict with the FISA courts, illegal.... and the fourth one, if defined properly, actually means that Americans cannot be "forced" to support FEDERAL military troops. (Keep in mind, this was written at a time when STATE'S Rights were considered OVER that of the Federal Government.

Now, that doesn't MEAN I don't SUPPORT our troops!!! It means I have a Constitutional right not to have MY PROPERTY (money) confiscated for the purpose of "quartering" (supporting) a FEDERAL military force during time of war.

Don't BLAME ME, if you don't like it! "I" didn't write the Constitution or the Bill of Rights!

"Aiding and Abetting" our enemies is a VERY "slippery slope" that could include MANY in the administrations over the last 70 years! Libbey and Cheney are the ones under the microscope at the moment. Benedict Arnold sold us out to the British and WAS "sent far away from the U.S."

There have been SEVERAL in recent years, who were in the CIA or other "defense" positions who have been convicted of treason and are in prison for it. And I take PARTICULAR offense to THEM! This Ghadan guy, who is propogandising, at the very least, for Al Quaida, is TOPS on my list! But, you know what? He hasn't yet done anything worse than Tokyo Rose... who was later PARDONED by (Republican) President FORD!!
(Along with NIXON!! IMHO, the biggest traitor to the Constitution TO DATE!)

Do you remember that Private in WWII (I believe) who was SHOT for treason? (can't remember his name, but there was an excellent movie about it.)

TREASON against my beloved United States is something I feel strongly about! It is NOT a term to be thrown about "lightly" (as in the impeachment trial of Clinton!) In a FREE society like we have, one must be VERY clear and specific when making such a charge. And, it is a VERY thin line between RIGHTS and Abuses!

The rootword, or origin, of TREASON and TRAITOR is found in the word, or root of the word, BETRAY. IMHO, BETRAYING the Constitutional rights of Americans is MUCH closer to the intended meaning of the word Treason, than exercising your Free Speech to "criticize" the government or a specific WAR!

In that respect, I will leave OPEN the obvious question of WHO is the bigger "traitor?"

When I was in the military, in the Intelligence branch, I was trained and prepared for the possibility of giving up my life to protect military secrets and personnel. Under the HORRIFIC conditions of torture that many of our servicemen in Vietnam experienced (and SOME GAVE IN TO!,) I can't say for sure whether I would have met my own expectations, or not.

But, I know for a fact, I can and WILL stand between a punch and a nose to protect someone's RIGHT to free speech, EVEN when it is "unflattering" to the Administration of the country I LOVE!

And now, even though I KNOW it will be controversial (as if the rest of my post wasn't,) I MUST voice this FREE opinion that I have. When a "certain" party of citizens "wraps themselves in the flag" and marches "lockstep" in line with the political Mantra of a Charismatic leader in a time of real or perceived crisis.... to the point they are willing to TURN ON and abridge the rights of those fellow citizens who disagree with them, HISTORY PROVES that we are not too far away from..... well..... let's just say a TOTALITARIAN or CONTROLLED society!

And, ladies and gentlemen, I have ancestors that died to PROTECT me from THAT form of government and society! THEY are my true HEROES! And I will NOT let their sacrifice be in vain!

Old 08-13-2007, 11:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
There have been SEVERAL in recent years, who were in the CIA or other "defense" positions who have been convicted of treason and are in prison for it. And I take PARTICULAR offense to THEM! This Ghadan guy, who is propogandising, at the very least, for Al Quaida, is TOPS on my list! But, you know what? He hasn't yet done anything worse than Tokyo Rose... who was later PARDONED by (Republican) President FORD!!

Golf,

I am at a loss to understand how anyone can claim that Nixon was the biggest traitor to the U.S. Constitution...........Nixon was simply caught up in a petty, stupid scandal thet to this day defies logical explanation.

Were FDR, Truman, JFK, and LBJ, and later, Bush41, examined under the same political microscope, they would have faired no better.

Now, I'm not defending Nixon or Watergate here; yet, Watergate PALES in comparison to the crimes and treasonous activities of both the Clinton(s) Administration, who's crimes of treason have been exceeded only by Bush43 & Co.

As for Ford's pardoning of Nixon, speaking as a moderate to liberal Democrat, I think that Ford did precisely the right thing. Given the social temperament of the aftermath of Watergate, there is simply no way that Richard Nixon could have received a fair trial by an impartial jury.

Also, when you consider the very serious strains that were being placed upon our nation's economy, ("stagflation" was what they called it; economic recession combined with double digit inflation and interest rates!!) combined with the very precarious foriegn policy we were dailing with, and the fact that the "Watergate fixation was hindering Ford's ability to govern, I believe that history has had no choice but to vindicate Ford for his decision.

George McGovern and Ted Kennedey are hardly what anyone could consider to be Republican panderers, but they have both publicly stated that history has vindicted Ford.

It was an act of political courage. Ford may have had a public image of being a klutz on the ski slopes, but in truth, he was actually a very astute backroom political deal broker; he knew at the time he decided to pardon Nixon that he was most likely committing political suicide by making that decision, but I do believe that he demonstrated considerable political courage in his decision.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Yoopr said:

Quote:
I was there around the same time as you but you'd have to get in the Line behind me.
No Problem
Old 08-14-2007, 02:08 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
Quote:
Yoopr said:

Quote:
No Problem
I figured you'd say as much, Yoopr. And, I DID add a smiley face. But, you REALLY don't know how difficult that might be!

But, I'm not getting into a Pizzin contest with you over it. My point really is, that you will have to BEAT your way through another VET who has the b@lls to stand up against you to protect another citizen's right to free speech.

You might win, and I might get bloody. But, I won't stand by and let it happen without giving MY best to defend the Constitution. That's ALL I can do, but I will do no LESS!

I believe the "Enlisted Oath of Service" says, "I will defend the Constitution against ALL enemies, foreign AND DOMESTIC."

I would have no way of knowing what Oath is taken by the NEO-CON Party of America! But, somehow, I bet it was written by Ann Coulter! :roll:

Old 08-14-2007, 02:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Not trying to hijack the thread here, or anything, but I just learned that Jane Fonda has broken off her engagement to a wealthy investor named Jack Peters.

The reason for the break-up was that had she married, her new name would have been:

Jane Fonda'-Peters!!
Old 08-14-2007, 03:58 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Quote:

Golf,

I am at a loss to understand how anyone can claim that Nixon was the biggest traitor to the U.S. Constitution...........Nixon was simply caught up in a petty, stupid scandal that to this day defies logical explanation.

Sorry, Useless, but I must disagree. Nixon was not really "caught up" in anything. People don't DO the kinds of things that were done, with their careers on the line, without "Executive Approval." Like Bush43, he was INTENT on winning/maintaining the Presidency (power) of America at any and all costs. Nixon "abridged" two of the most important Rights in the constituion as far as I'm concerned.

1) Illegal search and seizure. His men broke into a Medical practitioners office and stole medical records without a warrant, for the purpose of illegally gaining information about his opponent.

2) Having thusly "subverted" the free election process in this country, he LIED about any knowledge of illegal activities, and DESTROYED government tapes that would incriminate HIM and his subordinates.

I don't know how YOU feel about our election process, but unless it is free and fair, we have no HOPE of a Democratic society. With the (IMHO) unfair process of the Electoral College against the average citizen, the right to a free election is our most cherished RIGHT. I can forgive almost ANY abridgement by the President EXCEPT that of a free election process!

Nixon, if he didn't START the illegalities, certainly was COMPLICENT in the coverup of illegal activities that were designed to help him keep power AGAINST the (possible) will of the PEOPLE!

This is something I CANNOT abide!!

For all its OTHER provisions, the Constitution is PRIMARILY designed to delineate the process by which we ELECT those who will govern us. If THIS process is "thwarted" by any candidate, let alone a SITTING PRESIDENT, we are in BIG trouble!

Were FDR, Truman, JFK, and LBJ, and later, Bush41, examined under the same political microscope, they would have faired no better.

I can't say what might have happened if we'd been paying attention to THESE Presidents. No more than YOU can prove that we "missed something." But, FDR was re-elected by the PEOPLE 3 times! LBJ, admitted culpability for a failed policy in Vietnam and said he would NOT seek re-election. 41 was NOT re-elected. I don't see where ANY of these could have been accused of "stealing an election," which is what I fear most as a subversion of the Constitution.

Now, I'm not defending Nixon or Watergate here; yet, Watergate PALES in comparison to the crimes and treasonous activities of both the Clinton(s) Administration, who's crimes of treason have been exceeded only by Bush43 & Co.

Allowing, for a moment, that LYING to a Grand Jury is a crime, but is NOT a crime of TREASON, PLEASE name me ONE crime of TREASON committed by Pres. Clinton! In the "Annals of History," Monicagate will not even be a footnote compared to Watergate! Are you NUTS???

As for Ford's pardoning of Nixon, speaking as a moderate to liberal Democrat, I think that Ford did precisely the right thing. Given the social temperament of the aftermath of Watergate, there is simply no way that Richard Nixon could have received a fair trial by an impartial jury.

And I agree with you (and have said as much on another thread!) But, I might point out that there was EQUALLY no way that Clinton was getting a "fair trial" either, given the "witchhunt" mentality of the Republicans and their "hired gun" the Special Prosecutor! The difference is that Clinton got a B.J. in a side room of the Whitehouse, whereas, Nixon used nearly EVERY office IN the government (INCLUDING THE OVAL OFFICE) to Manipulate, subvert, coverup, and stonewall an investigation which, by your OWN words, didn't "really" involve HIM, but was designed to influence the FREE Election process of the American Citizen, AFFORDED them by the Constitution! Clinton wasn't even up for re-election!!! :roll:

MY point was that a Republican president "pardoned" a REAL traitor.... Tokyo Rose.... along with the BIGGEST traitor of all time, NIXON! And yet, these "Republicans" are STILL trying to hang Hanoi Jane for something she didn't even DO!!!! WHY??? Because she's a Democrat who speaks out against the Vietnam CONFLICT (never a declared war) which was waged against the wishes of the American Citizens, like IRAQ!! A war that has made things WORSE for the people of the area, and cost thousands of American lives!

NIXON's "minions" got the fairest trial ANYONE could get in this country! But, where do you go to change the venue, when you have offended the rights of EVERY citizen?? Does it follow that because you can't find ANYONE in America who will give you a fair trial, you deserve to WALK???

Also, when you consider the very serious strains that were being placed upon our nation's economy, ("stagflation" was what they called it; economic recession combined with double digit inflation and interest rates!!) combined with the very precarious foriegn policy we were dailing with, and the fact that the "Watergate fixation was hindering Ford's ability to govern, I believe that history has had no choice but to vindicate Ford for his decision.

I'm not really "UP" on the problems Ford faced during his "reign." But, I will submit that MOST of the problems you mentioned: economical strain, foreign discontent, and "popular distrust in government" were ALL a result somewhat of the failed WAR policy (for which I DON'T blame Nixon OR Ford,) and the aftermath of the most devastating Constitutional Crisis in American History.... for which I DO blame Nixon!

I totally agree that Ford did what he HAD to do, concerning Nixon.... but HOW did Tokyo Rose "sneak in there?" Maybe, Ford figured, WTF?? If I can pardon the treasonous acts of NIXON.... who will care about Tokyo Rose and the thousands of Dead American Troops on HER head??!! :roll:

George McGovern and Ted Kennedey are hardly what anyone could consider to be Republican panderers, but they have both publicly stated that history has vindicted Ford.

It was an act of political courage. Ford may have had a public image of being a klutz on the ski slopes, but in truth, he was actually a very astute backroom political deal broker; he knew at the time he decided to pardon Nixon that he was most likely committing political suicide by making that decision, but I do believe that he demonstrated considerable political courage in his decision.

Yawn! If you think my post was all about FORD, you missed the point! It was that it was a REPUBLICAN President that pardoned the most "famous" traitor of WWII, Tokyo Rose! NOT a Democratic/Liberal one!