LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Sweatshops On Wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler
Has anyone read SWEATSHOPS ON WHEELS by Michael Belzer yet? What did you think?

90% of what Beltzer wrote is true,although I do agree it was excessively worded. Only the first few chapters are good reading. The rest IMO is a waste of time.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Quote:
it is HORSES--T.
Cool, a fill in the blank game. I was always pretty good at wheel of fortune.
Horses hat?
Horse spit?
Horses cut?
horse slot?

Oh...I got it....Horse Smut!....I once saw that on the internet...pretty gross
I think he meant "Horses hit"

Lets use this term in a sentence.

The man just stepped in what the horses hit.

:lol:
Old 08-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter1948
8) Everyone considering a career in OTR driving should read this book. Period
Anyone considering reading this book, should NEVER consider a career in OTR! :shock:

NO.... I haven't read the book! I don't HAVE to. The title tells me all I need to know (along with the context of this thread.) It's more of the CFM mantra! [Unless I am totally mistaken, in which case, nevermind! :lol: ]

I just spent 6 days on the road, and the totals for lines 3 and 4 were about 45 hours!

You don't get paid for sleeping at home, why should you get paid for sleeping while on the road?

You don't get paid for sitting at home watching T.V., why should you get paid for doing it at a shipper? (although MANY DO!)

You don't get paid for standing in line at Walmart, the movie theater, or to buy the latest IPOD thingie.... nor for sitting for an hour in a doctor's office waiting to get the finger. Why should you get paid for it while on the road?

Point is, the job requires you to be gone from home. So does a travelling salesman, a train conductor, airline pilot, minister, and yes.... even Congressmen! (the list is endless! How about the military, merchant marines, oilpatch workers in the frozen North?)

But, you are NOT working the whole time for a substandard wage! A recent report showed that the AVERAGE trucker makes about $1,000 a year less than the MEDIAN wage in America..... and MOST have no appreciable education! :roll:

SOME people act like you have a GUN to your head, and you are forced to actually WORK 24 hours a day for weeks on end! THAT is total B.S.!!!

For the UMPTEENTH time..... this is NOT a job for WUSSES!!! This is a job for REAL Men and Women! Anyone who feels "entitled" to be paid for every minute of every day they are away from home and family.... needs to STAY at home!!! :evil:

Real "sweatshops" are terrible things! If anyone has ever SEEN one (or worked in one) they would LAUGH at this comparison! I have MORE freedom on the road than I EVER had at a NORMAL "inside" job! And am making MORE money. Every week, I make it a point to TRY and take a few hours to see something new on my trip. I couldn't AFFORD all these "mini-vacations" on anything less than CEO pay if I worked "down the street."

In MOST cases, truckers are paid by the mile because it most closely represents the amount of time you are ACTUALLY "working." And even with all the time I spend sitting, it is more money PER HOUR than I made before I got into trucking.

If someone has a "beef" with the method or amount of pay for their job, they should find another one! There are literally THOUSANDS of men and women just waiting to take your place.... to provide for their families.

[And I might add, most of those doing the b!tching, got where they are today (local or retired) by the opportunities afforded them by having GONE OTR!]

Tell the unfortunate masses in this country who STAND on their feet all day, working TWO jobs to make 2/3rds of your pay.... or those breaking their backs at hard manual labor with required overtime ... that you are being "exploited" for sitting on your butt driving a truck for a living! Or that it is "unfair" that you don't get paid for sleeping 10 hours a day!

Better yet..... switch jobs with them! :roll:

I hear so many on here decrying the lack of respect from those who should be "thankful" that we help stock the shelves with the things they want to buy. Then, in the next post, the SAME, or another, cries like a baby because THEY are not getting what they feel "entitled" to! What's the difference??

There was a time in this country, (and another one coming soon,) when people were GLAD to HAVE a job, and respected the man who gave it to them. I'm NOT defending the "capitalist Whoremongers" who suck at the teat of this benevolent Administration.... but, I'm getting just a little tired of the "ME Generation" and their "entitlement" philosophy!

Trucking is what it is! Rubbin' is Racin'!! Can't stand the heat? Stay out of the kitchen! :P

[Since you are new here, Drifter - or I am not familiar with you - this is not directed entirely at YOU! I'm just ranting!]

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:01 AM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
I just spent 6 days on the road, and the totals for lines 3 and 4 were about 45 hours!
HOW MUCH WAS SPENT IN THE SLEEPER WAITING TO BE LOADED AND UNLOADED
You don't get paid for sleeping at home, why should you get paid for sleeping while on the road?
AT HOME YOU ARE NOT BABYSITTING SOME ELSES TRUCK AND FREIGHT
You don't get paid for sitting at home watching T.V., why should you get paid for doing it at a shipper? (although MANY DO!)
BECAUSE YOU ARE DOING A JOB FOR YOUR EMPLOYER.
You don't get paid for standing in line at Walmart, the movie theater, or to buy the latest IPOD thingie.... nor for sitting for an hour in a doctor's office waiting to get the finger. Why should you get paid for it while on the road?
I AGREE THERE. YOU ARE OFF DUTY WHEN YOU ARE DOING THESE ACTIVITIES.
Point is, the job requires you to be gone from home. So does a travelling salesman, a train conductor, airline pilot, minister, and yes.... even Congressmen! (the list is endless! How about the military, merchant marines, oilpatch workers in the frozen North?)
AND THEY MAKE MORE THEN THE AVERAGE OTR DRIVER.
But, you are NOT working the whole time for a substandard wage! A recent report showed that the AVERAGE trucker makes about $1,000 a year less than the MEDIAN wage in America..... and MOST have no appreciable education! :roll:
THAT ALL DEPENDS ON WHO YOU DRIVE FOR
SOME people act like you have a GUN to your head, and you are forced to actually WORK 24 hours a day for weeks on end! THAT is total B.S.!!!
THE GUY HOLDING THE GUN IS CALLED THE DISPATCHER. TOO BAD THERE ARE SOME REAL %$#^& THAT DO THAT JOB.
For the UMPTEENTH time..... this is NOT a job for WUSSES!!! This is a job for REAL Men and Women! Anyone who feels "entitled" to be paid for every minute of every day they are away from home and family.... needs to STAY at home!!! :evil:
AND GET A LOCAL HOURLY PAYING JOB DRIVING A TRUCK
In MOST cases, truckers are paid by the mile because it most closely represents the amount of time you are ACTUALLY "working."
NOW THAT IS FUNNY
If someone has a "beef" with the method or amount of pay for their job, they should find another one! There are literally THOUSANDS of men and women just waiting to take your place.... to provide for their families.
HEY, I AGREE WITH THIS
[And I might add, most of those doing the b!tching, got where they are today (local or retired) by the opportunities afforded them by having GONE OTR!
NOPE. NEVER DROVE OTR. NEVER WENT TO TRUCK DRIVING SCHOOL EITHER. BEEN DRIVING 9 YEARS. STARTED WHEN I WAS 23(I'M 32 NOW). I DRIVE LOCAL. I HAVE DROVEN REGIONAL BUT THE COMPANY WAS A LOCAL COMPANY THAT HAD REGIONAL ROUTES. 100% DEDICATED.
Hobo
Some parts where deleted by me since they were not relavent to my responses :twisted:

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 08-12-2007, 04:52 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R
Quote:
HOW MUCH WAS SPENT IN THE SLEEPER WAITING TO BE LOADED AND UNLOADED

Two drops. Neither took more than an hour from the time I arrived. One loading for the backhaul.... took me about 45 minutes.

AT HOME YOU ARE NOT BABYSITTING SOME ELSES TRUCK AND FREIGHT

No, at HOME, I suppose you'd be babysitting your OWN house and your OWN family. Either way, you'd be asleep! Anyone "paying" you for that while your "local" and at home?

BECAUSE YOU ARE DOING A JOB FOR YOUR EMPLOYER.

As I said, MANY do! I don't, but I don't care! I'm just waiting to get a load so I can DRIVE back home and collect a check for more than I made "doing a job" for my last employer!

I AGREE THERE. YOU ARE OFF DUTY WHEN YOU ARE DOING THESE ACTIVITIES.

AND while you are sleeping, eating dinner, etc.

AND THEY MAKE MORE THEN THE AVERAGE OTR DRIVER.

Hmm... not so sure. I'll have to find the article and see. I KNOW for a fact that minister is lower! I almost became a train conductor. I'm pretty sure starting pay there was lower, too!

THAT ALL DEPENDS ON WHO YOU DRIVE FOR

NO.... that was an AVERAGE income of ALL truckers. I came in real CLOSE to that figure, and "I" am working for a lower paying company!

THE GUY HOLDING THE GUN IS CALLED THE DISPATCHER. TOO BAD THERE ARE SOME REAL %$#^& THAT DO THAT JOB.

I agree, but I was referring to someone holding a gun to your head to MAKE you take an OTR job.... But, if you want to talk dispatchers.... learn to call SAFETY on them! Or the D.O.T. Actually, I was referring to the practice of those like CFM of dividing your paycheck by 24 hours a day! Not happening.... I don't care WHO you work for! But, if YOU are working for a company that requires you to exceed your 70/8 rule, then there must be something wrong with YOU that you can't get a more "normal" OTR job.

For the UMPTEENTH time..... this is NOT a job for WUSSES!!!
This is a job for REAL Men and Women! Anyone who feels "entitled" to be paid for every minute of every day they are away from home and family.... needs to STAY at home!!! :evil:
AND GET A LOCAL HOURLY PAYING JOB DRIVING A TRUCK

If you can get one without OTR experience, good for you. Like I said, it would suit you better if you ain't got what it takes to be OTR. But, I would think it would PRECLUDE you from making TOO many comments on a thread ABOUT driving OTR! Or at least from writing a BOOK about it! :roll:

In MOST cases, truckers are paid by the mile because it most closely represents the amount of time you are ACTUALLY "working."
NOW THAT IS FUNNY

Okay, I'm referring to "long haul" miles here. If you drive 100 miles a day, and unload part of the trailer 5 times a day behind a Dollar General... well.... I don't know what to tell you but.... Um.... WHY bother getting a CDL to be a LUMPER??? :roll:

HEY, I AGREE WITH THIS

Well... it's about TIME!! :lol: Seriously... There IS a shortage of drivers, but not really a shortage of APPLICANTS! People NEED jobs these days!

[And I might add, most of those doing the b!tching, got where they are today (local or retired) by the opportunities afforded them by having GONE OTR!
NOPE. NEVER DROVE OTR. NEVER WENT TO TRUCK DRIVING SCHOOL EITHER. BEEN DRIVING 9 YEARS. STARTED WHEN I WAS 23(I'M 32 NOW). I DRIVE LOCAL. I HAVE DROVEN REGIONAL BUT THE COMPANY WAS A LOCAL COMPANY THAT HAD REGIONAL ROUTES. 100% DEDICATED.

And if your company closed its doors tomorrow? The ONLY job you could get would be another local one. And if they weren't hiring? You'd probably be S.O.L.!! NO certified school training, no OTR experience. You go to the END OF THE LINE, SON!! We'll call you if we have an opening in our TRAINING CLASS! OF course, you'll have to go with a trainer OTR for six weeks at $300/wk, but we're SURE you won't MIND! :shock: :lol:

I'm not out to pick a fight with you, Double R. You seem like an upright guy! But, this thread was about a book comparing driving OTR to working in a sweatshop! I don't see where you have given your credentials to talk about EITHER ONE! :roll: :wink:

But, I enjoyed the "comeback!" :lol:

Hobo
Some parts where deleted by me since they were not relavent to my responses :twisted:

Old 08-12-2007, 05:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I laughed until I pissed in my pants, and then I crapped them, and had to change my tightie whities for clean ones. "Most closely represents the amoutn of time you are ACTUALLY working...." What a crock of horsesh¡t. Book miles vs. actual, I donate 60 * 5 = 300 miles a week to all the people who would supposedly go bankrupt if they actually paid me for everything I really have to do for them.
Quote:
And even with all the time I spend sitting, it is more money PER HOUR than I made before I got into trucking.
This is true for me too, but I live in a place where $8 an hour is the top of the food chain unless you have a PhD in chemical engineering or some damn thing. The job market around here is ridiculous. "WANTED: ENTRY LEVEL C++ PROGRAMMER! MUST HAVE ADVANCED DEGREE IN CHEMISTRY, ENGINEERING, OR PHYSICS. SOME PROGRAMMING EXPERIENCE A PLUS! $25K A YEAR GUARANTEED! APPLY TODAY!"
Old 08-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan
Quote:
I laughed until I pissed in my pants, and then I crapped them, and had to change my tightie whities for clean ones. "Most closely represents the amount of time you are ACTUALLY working...." What a crock of horsesh¡t. Book miles vs. actual, I donate 60 * 5 = 300 miles a week to all the people who would supposedly go bankrupt if they actually paid me for everything I really have to do for them.

Sorry about your "accident" Silvan.... it WILL go on your DAC as a "preventable." :lol:

I wasn't intending to bring in the distinction between Practical and HHG miles. On this point, I entirely agree with you! I would not work for a company that cheated me in THAT manner. Practical is bad enough, but if they paid HUB, you'd have too many guys "padding" their miles!

Obviously though, I didn't make my point very clearly. I am working on a formula or explanation that will clear it up for you.

Meanwhile........ let me quote you from another thread:

Quote:
"Uh, well, it's true that I only 'work' 45 minutes to an hour most days, but the commute is a real bitch, don't you think?"
Now, YOU may not think that supports my arguement, but I tend to think it does, in a way.

BTW, my paycheck actually says.... "Days worked: 1" So, I always tell people that I only work one day a week, but have a 2 1/2 day COMMUTE each way!! :lol: :lol: