Old 07-26-2007, 07:01 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Thank-you, you make me proud!

Yesterday I watched the 133rd come home from Iraq to Waterloo and it
not to sound like a wuss it brought tears to my eyes. To see everyone
lining Hwy20 honking and waving to them made me proud. It also made
me think about the sacrifices that these men and women along with there families make so that those of us who have never served can have our freedoms. I know this is off driving topics but I just wanted to take this chance to tell all who may
read this that have or are currently serving THANK-YOU!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Board Icon

Popeye, I with ya. You cannot thank our troops enough for their service to our country. My granddad was in WWII. I also had an uncle that served during WWII. My brother in law is currently serving in the Air Force. He is here, (Sheppard AFB) but he is serving. Nothing wrong with shedding a tear because you are proud of being an American! 8)

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 07-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Same up here-Anytime there's a KIA pretty much the Entire Upper Peninsula shows up.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:22 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Hey Popeye...I listened to a replay of the mayor's speech on the radio today. Did a nice job...good to have them home.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
not to sound like a wuss it brought tears to my eyes.
It takes a bigger man to shed a tear during a profound moment than one who cares about what others think and hold it all in.

I am sure there were a lot of tears shed by the soldiers in that unit the first time they got to see and wrap their arms around their loved ones than there was when they went through the gas chamber during basic.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

This is a welcome contrast to what we experienced during Vietnam, for those old enough to remember. Some of us vowed that never again will our troops be spat upon and treated with disdain for defending this country. These Soldiers, Marines, Airmen and Sailors deserve our support and respect. For those who serve and the families they leave behind, THANK YOU!!
Old 07-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

The 1744 based out of my hometown of Streator is due home in about 2 months they are being rotated out as we speak. Thank fully they are ALL coming home. They were running fuel convoys to the Baghdad International Airport and from what a couple buddies of mine in the unit said saw some serious IED attacks. Everyone of the unit is coming home. Same can not be said for the the trucks 10 were destroyed during the tour with no WIA OR KIA the troppers were sitting on 3 feet of sandbags.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
This is a welcome contrast to what we experienced during Vietnam, for those old enough to remember. Some of us vowed that never again will our troops be spat upon and treated with disdain for defending this country. These Soldiers, Marines, Airmen and Sailors deserve our support and respect. For those who serve and the families they leave behind, THANK YOU!!
Thanks, GMAN. I didn't want to be the first to point this out.

First, our troops in Iraq are NO MORE fighting for OUR freedoms than those in Vietnam were! But, that COULD be open to interpretation. Not my intention here.

Second, next time you see a Vietnam Vet sitting in a wheelchair (because prosthetic technology was not so advanced back then) shed a tear for HIM as well! Maybe, even give him a dollar or two. And when you see that really OLD guy, with his service hat on with all it's WWII pins, buy HIM a lunch or something!

I REALLY hate to open this can of worms.... but, somehow I feel that the loss of over 3000 of our best "current" troops has somehow "bought" some respect from the citizens of this country for those who suffered through Vietnam! And if so, I cherish their deaths! :shock:

If it TOOK "this" for some people to regain respect for those who have "served" this country.... then their deaths are NOT in vain!

I want to PERSONALLY express my thanks to all Vietnam Vets on this board for your service! I'm not sure WHY it was necessary to "compell" your service at that time, but I RESPECT it nonetheless!

In a land that cherishes its freedoms, I can think of NO GREATER sacrifice than to be "forced" into a war you didn't "volunteer" for!

The United States Military is the BEST in all the world, NOT because of its training.... but because of WHO and WHAT it represents! I can only HOPE that we DESERVE it!

Winning or losing a war is the responsibility of the Commander in Chief and his Secretary of Defense. It is NOT a reflection of the committment or sacrifice of the American Citizen who takes up arms in the conflict.

Remember that when you "embrace" a Gulf War Vet, you are more than likely embracing his ancestor who died in, or somehow "survived" Vietnam!

Let us NEVER forget those who have worn the military uniform of this great country!!!

And let us NEVER AGAIN commit them to harms way without a CLEAR strategy and purpose!

Life may be "cheap" on the streets of our major cities, but those in uniform are our GREATEST TREASURE!!!

"There is NO greater gift than to lay down one's life for his brother."

But it CHAPS my AZZ to see my brother lay down his life for someone who doesn't know or CARE about what my government is "selling" him!

Jesus wept... NOT for those who believed in him, but for those who NEVER WOULD.

I weep for those who don't understand the difference, and for those who die at their command.

HOBO

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Most of us that have kids in the services now LIVED through Nam. We know what we went through, and do not want that for our own kids.

Good to hear that they are home, and WELCOMED as well.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:29 PM

Trust me anytime I see a veteran they get my full respect they have earned. I wush I could serve over there right now even though I know it is not the right place being Iraq it is were the CIC has ordered our men and women to go. I have so many uncles that are Vietnam vets my oldest brother is a Iraq war 1 and now 2 vet. My dads father survived the Ploseti low level raid and also 24 more over Europe in WW2. His Stepfather survived every major landing in the Pacific theater from the Canal to Okinawa and was getting ready for Japan when the Bomb was dropped. He always had my respect. He was the only person my oldest brother EVER has worn all his MEDALS not the ribbons for on his dress blues.