User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default ANYONE HAUL LIVESTOCK?...

Anyone haul, or ever haul livestock?...
What are your responsibilities as a livestock driver?...
Does it pay well?...

Old 06-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: ANYONE HAUL LIVESTOCK?...

:roll: :roll:
Old 06-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Board Icon

I've never hauled cattle, commercially. I've hauled more than I can count with a gooseneck.(Stocker cattle)
Well, you want to be really careful on the curves. Cattle pots are very top heavy. Dont wanna take off too fast, nor do you want to stop very fast. Once you get out on the straight a way, you can pretty much make her smoke.
Most of the time, the driver is in the trailer, and he moves the cattle in the right spots in the trailer when loading. Some feedlots, the guys working there also helps loading.

The pay now days averages anywhere from $3.00 - $4.00 a mile. Some may be more than $4.00 a mile. That's last I heard.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 06-15-2007, 11:06 PM
Senior Board Member

When I worked the farm we used a regular cattle trailer you pulled with a pick up... But, once in a while we had to move an entire herd that had been purchased... I never got a chance to ask the driver of the double decker livestock trailer, what he got paid to haul...

That's why I was wondering... I suppose it all depends on how far they have to travel to deliver the animals... If they have to go a very long distance, what is the drivers responsibility for the animals?... Does he have to find a way to ensure they get water, or any feed?...

I know the guy that hauled for our farm, had to wait around most of the day, the poor guy... Because the owners would keep him waiting, they were real jerks about that... But, once we got them all loaded, he was off... If it was warm weather they would plan on loading, and delivering during the evening, to reduce the risk of the animals over heating...

Of course winter it didn't matter so much... Of course you always are concerned about shipping fever, at least with cattle... One trip the guy waited around all day, loaded up the cattle, and my friend I worked with, said, the guy was only getting $100.00 for the job... I thought that sounded odd, that's why I wanted to ask you folks, if anyone else hauled large quantities of livestock, in the double decker trailers...

Old 06-16-2007, 03:09 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: ANYONE HAUL LIVESTOCK?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaven
Anyone haul, or ever haul livestock?...
What are your responsibilities as a livestock driver?...
Does it pay well?...
A friend of mine quit his job where I used to work, and went to haul bulls for awhile. I know he used to be intimately involved in loading and unloading the cattle. He's told a lot of stories about close calls and near misses, getting stuck in the trailer with an angry bull, having trouble getting the cows to run down the chute, fun incidents involving hooves and hotshots... His two front teeth are missing, from where a cow caught him smack in the mouth with a surprise kick.

He used to run his ass off, 5-6,000 miles a week, two and three logbooks. Bulls are true time sensitive freight. You have to get them there before they die.

It paid really well, but I don't know how well.

That was cool. I called ol' Roscoe and talked for an hour, but we never actually got around to the reason I called. Oh well. It was nice to hear from that sorry ass pig f***er again.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:03 AM
Senior Board Member

That's why I hate anyone who treats an animal badly... If you don't have cattle human friendly, and used to be handled, that's the result...

They never think about the trucker who's got to haul those animals eventually...

I watched the guy load the herds he did for the farm I worked... It really was amazing he didn't get hurt bad, trying to load those animals... It sure isn't an easy job, that's why I wondered if it was worth it to these truckers, simply because it paid well... In what I saw personally, I wouldn't put myself in that kind of danger...

The most difficult is in loading cattle like heifers, and young bulls. Because they've just been left to grow on pasture, and are not used to having people around them all the time...

Of the thousands of cattle I dealt with, there was only one fresh heifer that was an absolute killer... She came into the farm, and was absolutely terrified to have anyone get near her, or attempt to touch her... She had to have her head tied up in a stancion to even attempt to milk her... She would wait until you got up next to her, and then like lightening just swing her entire body around at you, with her hind leg flying in the air, ready to take your eyes out... They had to put hobbles on her, just to try to milk her... Some how they managed to sell her to a farm that used a milking parlor thinking that would make a difference... I never did find out if she ended up working out there or, not...

Usually if you get an animal that is that wild, and fearful of you, they simply send them off to slaughter... No one wants to get themselves killed trying to handle an animal that just wasn't raised right... :sad: :roll: :x

Old 06-16-2007, 08:56 PM

Ok, I've done more than my share of talking today, so I'll keep it short. Learned to drive t/t in 15 min. with the tarzan zerbini circus out of webb city mo. 5 min. floating the gears and 10 min. backing up. three weeks later I'm pulling the elephant trailer, three female elephants in a trailer. You take up 1 1/2 lanes going down the road with all the drivers asking you : what the hell do you have in that trailer, I would tell them 3 ladies and they are mad. So; my responsibilities were not to lay it down, and that was it. This story does not start--- Once upon a time>
Old 06-17-2007, 02:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaven
They never think about the trucker who's got to haul those animals eventually...
They never think about the trucker who's got to haul anything eventually.
Quote:
It really was amazing he didn't get hurt bad, trying to load those animals... It sure isn't an easy job, that's why I wondered if it was worth it to these truckers, simply because it paid well...
Roscoe wasn't in it for the money so much as he's always just been a cowboy type. Big hat, big belt buckle, cowboy boots, country music. There are a lot of truck drivers who do the cowboy thing, but he always took it a lot more seriously than most. Hauling cows to market, or to the slaughter house, that's about as close as you can come to being a real cowboy here on the east coast in the 21st century. I think that's why he did it, more than anything else.

I'm think the main reason he hung it up was because somebody quit, and my old boss got in a bind, and begged him to come back. He came back and stayed until they shut down all their trucks. Then he bought a truck and leased onto Landstar intstead of going back to hauling bulls. I don't know why.

Knowing Roscoe, probably because hauling bulls didn't give him enough time to chase women. Can't chase women when you're driving 6,000 miles a week.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:30 AM
Board Regular

I haul livestock, mostly sheep. Have hauled cows, steers, pigs,horses.
goats and lamas. Steers fresh of the range in the fall, can be a real handful, some of those critters really want to kill you! because they have had little or no contact with humans. We haul lambs out of Alberta in to Ontario, our trailers are 53ft tri axles. they have three decks in the nose, four in the center and three in the back,our biggest problem is not to over load the drives. What to load and where is a skill that comes after one over weight ticket. our run is 3700kms, we off load to feed and water half way, and to rest the driver. Starts are real important because you can put a animal down real fast if you take of to fast from a light, There is a lot more like why you can not load to tight or to light, not to brake to hard. Hate to stop, so we love to roll stops. you learn to time lights, and the most important if in heavy traffic to keep rolling if at all possible.
I love my job I grew up on a farm, and still farm we run 500 ewes at home. it is the greatest feeling when you get to the end of your run and the lambs run of skipping and jumping, you keep fit cleaning and bedding the trailer after each load. hope this helps and rember the bull hauler is one of the few truckers whoes cargo at times wants to kill him.

if you aim at nothing that is just what you will hit
Old 06-20-2007, 07:11 AM
Board Icon