User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Have you heard about this crap yet?

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...37/detail.html

I should note that is in Pennsylvania. :P

A state senator is announcing his plan to make the turnpike safer for drivers.

Sen. Stewart Greenleaf wants different laws for truck drivers on the turnpike. He wants truck drivers to be limited to the right lane, staying 5 mph under the speed limit.

Greenleaf said the plan is designed to keep those in smaller passenger cars safe while sharing the road with the 26,000-pound trucks.

Some truck drivers said slowing down makes sense as long as everyone else has to slow down, too.

"That would not be good," said driver Roy Sluk, of Rostraver. "You need to have everything the same. You can't have the four-wheelers going faster than you, because (that's) creating more people passing, and that's bad."

"Maybe in the cities it might be a good thing, but here on the open road, I don't really see the benefit of it," said driver Bill Thomburg, of Cleveland. "I really don't."

Thomburg calls the right-lane-only proposal "ridiculous."

"It's just going to cause more traffic problems, from what I see," said Thomburg. "If you have a big load or a wide load going down the road at 30 mph and everyone backed up behind him, I can just see it causing more problems."

A Senate transportation committee is reviewing the bill, but there is no word as to when they might take a vote on it.

The 60 MPH rule is one thing, even though it sucks, but restricting trucks to the right lane, no matter what? It's stupid. It makes no sense.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:23 AM
Board Regular

Having Truck restricted to the 2 right lanes bad enough. Traffic through Charlotte, NC use not be as bad as it is now. But once they adopted the right 2 lane restrictions on Trucks it went from bad to a night mare.

People are forgetting Common sense in order to attack the people who delievery their foods and other goods.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Board Icon

Same way out in L.A. Just stupid, I think.

Ft Worth/Dallas is bad enough as it is, but it would be a circus if trucks had to use their own lanes.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 05-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Board Regular

I'll laugh if this passes. The Pa Turnpike is one of the most expensive roads in the country, just think of how much their revenue will go down. I don't care if it takes me longer, I will take alternative routes, and I am sure that I am not alone in that opinion. Once again government is finger pointing at truck drivers for all the problems on the road.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:05 AM
Senior Board Member

That plan is going to get someone killed. The on-ramps on the PA turnpike aren't even long enough for a full tractor trailer, say nothing of enough room to get up to speed and merge for even a sports car. I find myself constantly merging left to let the traffic on that is stopped at the end of the on-ramps.

I especialy won't pay $90 some dollars to run the turnpike AND go 5 mph slower, that's crazy.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 05-31-2007, 02:35 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie
People are forgetting Common sense in order to attack the people who delievery their foods and other goods.
That's because Americans are spoiled as consumers!

We (truck drivers) should all get together and stop every truck for one week and that would fix it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like that'll ever happen...
Old 05-31-2007, 01:32 PM
Board Regular

I think once they kick this law in (if it passes) there will such a reduction in the amount of truck traffic on the road that they will realize it is stupid and solves nothing. With as many trucks on tp each day, and the price to run from one side of the state to the other, do these pa lawmakers have any idea how much money they stand to loose?

Old 05-31-2007, 02:19 PM

i have one question. Why did you provide a link to the article but then type it verbatim in the message as well?? ok, two questions. why when something like this is in the news do people like prodigy immediatly go to, "let's shut down for a week and then see what happens, they will wake up then!!" here is what will happen, no one will shut down, why?? because i need the income, hate to be the party crasher, but i and many other guys got famillies to feed. and when all of th company drivers boycot, strike, whatever you want to call it...they will prompltly be replaced and as i lik to say it "open to the job market".
Old 06-01-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedfxg
i have one question. Why did you provide a link to the article but then type it verbatim in the message as well??
Because maybe he wants to summarize what the link he posted is about. I think it's cool. Give me the abridged version, driver.

Quote:
why when something like this is in the news do people like prodigy immediatly go to, "let's shut down for a week and then see what happens, they will wake up then!!"
I guess you missed the sarcasm in my post... the six = :lol: and
Quote:
Like that'll ever happen
Maybe I need to learn to pour on the sarcasm a lil thicker? Maybe rev vassago can help with that one...

Quote:
here is what will happen, no one will shut down
No! Really? Are you a driver or what? Do you ever listen your CB? Do you own a CB? If so, havent you ever heard that tired old argument about "how us drivers never stick together - we should strike" yadda yadda yadda.

Quote:
because i need the income, hate to be the party crasher, but i and many other guys got famillies to feed. and when all of th company drivers boycot, strike, whatever you want to call it...they will prompltly be replaced and as i lik to say it "open to the job market".
I'm guessing you've never had a union job, huh? If you did have one and there was a labor dispute and the union you were a member of called for a strike, you'd probably cross the picket line, huh? You know what... I wont criticize you for that. Most of us know that unions are just as corrupt as the companies that they're "organizing" Unions are crap and it's just a matter of time before the teamsters bust and then all the lil buster brown drivers are going to have to actually work for a living. Like the rest of us.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_froggy
I'll laugh if this passes. The Pa Turnpike is one of the most expensive roads in the country, just think of how much their revenue will go down. I don't care if it takes me longer, I will take alternative routes, and I am sure that I am not alone in that opinion.
Well your alone if you want me to be your partner...What are your alternate roads across the state from Pittsburgh to Philly?
What are you gonna do, take Rt.30 (which has parts that prohibits Hazmat loads), Rt.22, or go south into maryland onto I-68, then have to come north again? You'd be burning more fuel & time than it'd be worth, but hey, if you have an agenda, have fun.

Adapt and overcome.