User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 03:18 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Even though the engine speed makes a difference in your fuel economy, the major factor is the wind resistance at higher speeds.

Quote:
Q. What's the best speed for fuel economy?
A. Wind resistance increases with the square of the increase in speed, which means there's four times as much wind resistance at 80 mph as at 40. So the slower the better, as long as the vehicles is going fast enough so top gear can work. Sorry, but usually, that's around 45 to 55 mph. As you go faster the fuel mileage will drop off steadily.
Thanks, Malaki, for attempting to give a serious answer. But, I still have questions. (1) where is your quote from? I don't have my "scientific calculator" anymore, so I can't check the facts, but they don't sound right. But, that's not really important. What you DID say, was that

"So the slower the better, as long as the vehicles is going fast enough so top gear can work."

And THIS is my problem. The top gear CAN'T work! So, the rpm's don't drop to the lower level that they are at when it DOES.

Besides, with today's sleeker cab design, I would think that wind resistance is of a minimal factor within a 10 mph window. Not the SAME for say, a Pete with a midroof and no spoiler.

But, I understand the theory of wind resistance. When I'm out west, and the wind is howling, I often slow down about 5-10 mph because it seems that the wind by itself doesn't "rock" the truck as much as if I'm ALSO forcing myself through it at a faster speed!

I didn't include wind resistance in my original question, because I believe it is a "nominal" factor at the speed I travel. Nevertheless, I understand it is a contributing factor. Thanks again for your input!

45 mph is just BARELY above having to downshift to 8th gear. I can't say that would require MORE rpm's because they are still limited! But, from 45 to 60, I'm in 9th gear at the top limit of my rpm's. When I get above 60, I MUST shift to 10th, at which point the rpm's drop. Problem is, there's no GUTS left in the truck to "pull away" from there if on a grade. So, back I go to 9th! ( My truck will NOT keep moving at 45-50 mph in 10th gear! It will choke out and die!)

At 45 mph OR 60, I'm turning 1800 rpm's in 9th. At 65 or more, I'm turning 1500 in 10th. So, again, how am I saving fuel at a slower speed, taking LONGER to cover the same distance at a higher RPM?

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:53 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
Bingo! The rpm is part of it, but as wind resistance increases, it takes more fuel just to over come the wind resistance to maintain the RPM. So driving slower at a higher RPM would actually cause you to possibly break even or save fuel. Running at 60 at 1250-1300 would do even more! Gearing a truck high and running it slow is still the most effective means to save fuel. Rolling resistance is another factor that one must overcome.
Sorry, Fozzy, but this makes no sense. It might take more fuel to overcome wind resistance to maintain the same Miles Per Hour, (which would "normally" require a higher RPM) but NOT the same RPM. RPM is a constant!

I understand what you are saying about gearing HIGH and running slower. Our trucks WERE geared high. The higher the gearing, the less RPM's necessary to maintain a certain speed.

But, by "rev limiting" them, the boss has forced us to run a LOWER gear, which requires HIGHER RPM's.

And as for "rolling resistance," I understand this, too. But, again, I USED to could overcome this by rolling at a higher speed at a lower RPM. Now, I have to use a higher RPM to overcome this "rolling resistance."

I may not know much, but I know that rolling resistance diminishes with speed. It's a factor of the law of inertia. Just like lower tire inflation increases resistance.

I suppose that, all things being equal, driving slower SHOULD reduce fuel consumption, because the government TELLS me so.... but, IF (as in my case) it requires a lower gear and a HIGHER RPM, is cannot possibly save fuel, which is burned off with EVERY revolution of the engine! (regardless of the mph attained.)

Now, when the wind blows strong against me, my MPH decreases, but I'm turning the SAME RPM. So yes, I'm using more fuel. But, when the wind is not a major factor, I can shift to a higher gear, run MORE miles per hour, at a lower RPM (due to higher gearing.) Now THAT is saving fuel!

And, by the same token (logic,) IF I can run in 10th gear at the SAME RPM at 75 miles covered in one hour, vesus 65 miles covered in the same hour (and same rpm,) I have saved 10 miles worth of fuel!

Whoever started this "slow down to save fuel" bullcrap, MUST have had the Illusion that higher speeds require higher RPM's! It's JUST not SO!

MAYBE, it applies to 4wheelers, but it doesn't seem to apply to my TRUCK! And fuel is burned at a constant rate based on REVOLUTIONS per minute!

Can anyone prove otherwise?

Old 05-09-2007, 04:05 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
So driving slower at a higher RPM would actually cause you to possibly break even or save fuel.
Are you on drugs? Or just grabbing at straws to validate the policies of J.B Hunt?

Driving slower..... getting there later, covering the SAME number of miles, and spending MORE time on the road burning fuel!

At a HIGHER rpm..... more revolutions and burning of fuel, for a LONGER period of time to cover the SAME distance.

Let's see... If I have a gallon of gas, and I burn it off FASTER, and take longer to get to my destination, I'm gonna have NO problems??? :shock:

You ever run out of gas mowing your lawn? If so, you should have pushed the mower faster! The RPM's are the SAME!! The only difference is the amount of yard you covered!

Old 05-09-2007, 04:16 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyykatt
Oh pick me! I say we all back to horse n' buggy- then ya dont have to worry about being governed anymore! And just think, no more stupid mini-van drivers either!
With THAT avatar, Shyykatt, I'd pick you anytime! But, MY luck, I'd get a J.B. HUNT mare, broke down and slow! :lol:

No "minivans?" What do you think the "surrey with the fringe on top" was?? :P

Unfortunately, minivans, 4wheelers, buses and OTHER slow vehicles have been clogging the roadways since there WERE roadways!!

And things got worse when we started allowing WOMEN to have driver's licenses!! :shock: :shock: :lol:

Old 05-09-2007, 04:18 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Dont Buy Fuel on the 15th !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by for4roses
Let's hit 'em where it hurts! .... I know this was written for 4 wheelers, but it will work the same for big trucks too. :wink:

Let us agree. And if you can send this to as many as you know, then
even better. MARK THE DAY ON YOUR CALENDAR!!!! - MAY 15TH 2007

Don't pump gas on MAY 15th

In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of
gas prices. Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight!

On May 15th 2007, all Internet users are to not go to a gas station in
protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in most
places.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the Internet
network, and the average car takes about 30 to 50 dollars to fill up.

If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take
$2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil companies
pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May
15th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for
at least one day.

On the 15th lol..That won't be hard to remember that's my birthday Sweet. something exciting is happening Lol. =P
Old 05-09-2007, 04:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyykatt
Oh pick me! I say we all back to horse n' buggy- then ya dont have to worry about being governed anymore! And just think, no more stupid mini-van drivers either!
With THAT avatar, Shyykatt, I'd pick you anytime! But, MY luck, I'd get a J.B. HUNT mare, broke down and slow! :lol:

No "minivans?" What do you think the "surrey with the fringe on top" was?? :P

Unfortunately, minivans, 4wheelers, buses and OTHER slow vehicles have been clogging the roadways since there WERE roadways!!

And things got worse when we started allowing WOMEN to have driver's licenses!! :shock: :shock: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: All funny, except for that last statement :P :lol:
Old 05-09-2007, 04:37 AM
Board Icon

Awww.... but who ELSE could I say that to? Just checkin' your pulse! :lol:

Old 05-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Senior Board Member

I found the quote for the wind resistance through a Yahoo search for: "wind resistance" speed "fuel economy"

It came up with 11,700 hits and with almost every single one of them being the same answer I posted a quote from one of them.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Are you on drugs? Or just grabbing at straws to validate the policies of J.B Hunt?

Why.. I don't work for them, but they are smarter than most fleets on fuel economy and do not allow their drivers to cut their own throats by whizzing away fuel needlessly.

Driving slower..... getting there later, covering the SAME number of miles, and spending MORE time on the road burning fuel!

Obviously this is tough concept for you.. sorry

At a HIGHER rpm..... more revolutions and burning of fuel, for a LONGER period of time to cover the SAME distance.

And as the wind and rolling resistance goes up (rapidly) all of this takes more fuel to get the rpm up to the level and KEEP it at that level.

Let's see... If I have a gallon of gas, and I burn it off FASTER, and take longer to get to my destination, I'm gonna have NO problems??? :shock:

Keep flappin! it ain't gonna fly!

You ever run out of gas mowing your lawn? If so, you should have pushed the mower faster! The RPM's are the SAME!! The only difference is the amount of yard you covered!

What is the wind resistance on a lawnmower? IF you tried to push the same lawnmower into a headwind of 75 mph, would you use more or less of YOUR energy doing so? This isn't a lawnmower! Try this.. go out and idle your truck at 1500 for an hour and then run down the highway at 1500 for an hour and see which burns more fuel... according to you there would be no difference, if there is a difference.. why?
Old 05-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Awww.... but who ELSE could I say that to? Just checkin' your pulse! :lol:
Oddly though, I hafta agree ops: I, myself, do not put on make-up, comb my hair and gab on the cell while I'm driving- annoying the #@*$ outta everyone behind me :shock: :lol: :lol: