User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 06:56 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
I bet if I really tried I could cut my electric bill in half by turning off lights and being smart. Right now I pay on average about 400 bucks a month for electric that would equate to 4800 a year....if I cut that in half I would save 2400 bucks.
You should check with Al Bore about getting a carbon credit and cutting down on global warming. He's like a global god....or something.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
You should check with Al Bore about getting a carbon credit and cutting down on global warming. He's like a global god....or something.
Someday I hope to be successful enough to pollute as much as Al Gore.
This is my dream.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
One small problem about that sheepdnacer I would only refer a driver to a company if I drove for them. Since I NEVER even if they were the last company left refer a driver to JB Hunt forget it.
I just gave you two ways to make money.....YOU CHOSE to not do them. But thanks for making my point. Even a person in your situation could find a way to make extra money.
Guess what? I knew whatever suggestion I made for you to make money, you would have an excuse why you wouldnt do it. That wasnt too hard to figure out.
How does someone get ripped off on ebay again? Ive been selling crap on ebay for years. Hell, my wife does it just for fun and makes about a grand a month selling dresses she makes. We have over 1500 autions and we have NEVER been ripped off. In fact its quite impossible. I simply dont mail anyone anything ive sold them until their money is in my bank account and cleared.
Thanks for the laugh. I had Dr Pepper shoot out of my nose when you said in the same paragraph that you cant cut back at all and that you have cable and internet access. That was pretty funny.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Because I have my internet bundled with my cable I get it for 15 bucks and also get my cable bill dicounted 30 bucks also so that is basically is giving me my internet for FREE and also puts 15 bucks a month into my pocket. The reason I shot down you offer on the recruiting drivers is simple I NEVER DROVE FOR JB HUNT. I REFUSE TO REFER SOMEONE TO A COMPANY THAT I NEVER WORKED FOR. Besides after working on some of the training academy trucks in the mid 90's I wonder how he stayed in business. My shop carried IN STOCK AT ALL TIMES 6 clutches 4 reman trannys 3 rear ends 3 power dividers and 2 flywheels so we could keep those trucks running. Sometimes we were throwing those same parts into the trainers trucks.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Senior Board Member

ooh another idea. You need to write a book called "1001 excuses for not saving money". Surely there is a market for something like that.

I think this got off topic. This was about gas prices. Let me ask you this. You said one of the weekly costs was gas for your car and insurance.
Why do you need a car if you arent working? Personally, I still cant figure out why you need cable and internet. but hey, thats your business.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:14 PM

Why do I need a car called I live in a town with no PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION my parents are 50 mins away and I do have KIDS THAT HAVE DOCTORS APPTS. It is called doctors appts for me and them going to the gorcery store to get food and then maybe going to see the grandparents one time a month.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
Just slow down to a reasonable speed, stop driving when you do not have to and youd be amazed what COULD happen.. of course everytime you talk about slowing down, there are far too many people who have head spinning, bed wetting fits and decree that driving at high speeds is some sort of "right" and that there is no way to make any money if they do not run 75-80 down the highway.. logic and fact of course makes this totally absurd
I'm no engineer, so maybe I don't get it. Please explain to me how slowing down saves fuel.

Let's say I'm going to a destination 75 miles away, and at 75mph, I can get there in one hour at 1500 revolutions per minute. Now... if I slow down to 60 mph, I have to downshift to 9th gear at 1800 rpm. So, I'm "revolving" my engine, 300 more times per minute for the initial hour, and 1800 more times per minute for the additional 15 minutes.

How is that saving fuel?

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Board Icon

Sheepdancer: Why not buy 100 shares of a stock that gives the same return as the oil company, but then get to keep ALL of the return instead of just what is left over after paying higher prices for gas?

I realize you are down on Ironeagle about this, but he said one thing that keeps ringing in my ears. Gas prices have MORE than DOUBLED under the current administration. There's no denying it.

When I was in high school, gas was 75 cents a gallon (after the intital jump from 25 cents a few years earlier.) In 2002, or there abouts - over 25 years later, it was about $1.18.

Today, it is MORE than twice THAT!! I would think this would be a matter of national concern, one that the administration SHOULD be doing something about. Instead, all I hear is excuses and promises to look for alternative sources. The administration HAS an energy Czar. WHAT the heck is he doing to earn his huge salary??

COULD it be that we are paying at the pump for the unrest WE have caused and continue in the Middle East?

I'm not saying it is ALL Bush's fault.... though it might be. But, there is no way around the facts. We've been at war in the Middle East pretty much ever since Bush took office. And gas prices - more than ANY other segment of the economy - have been getting out of hand ever since!

Does it not give you even a MOMENT'S pause to consider that the Bush family is in, or has close ties to, the Oil Industry?

If our refining capacity is at fault, then WHY??? Don't they get investment credits from the government? Why aren't they re-investing the windfall profits they've made since Bush took office? And don't give me the NIMBY excuse! The government owns BILLIONS of acres of land that are not next to a town!

Do you remember the line from 3 Days of the Condor, when the CIA guy tells Redford (near the end of the movie) that "someday, Americans will be COLD because they have no heat. They won't ask us HOW we got it! They'll just want us to GET it!"

Well, in a manner of speaking, I'm friggin COLD!! I want oil/gas at a reasonable price! If we're gonna be sending troops to their deaths in the Middle East, by god, we oughta get SOMETHING out of it!

Or could it be that somehow, we are paying for the war at the gas pump?

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Senior Board Member

I just dont see gas prices as being that high. I see them as higher. However I also see them as being too low for so long, so that might be shocking people. Gas prices have remained really low even though inflation has caused the prices for everything else to go up. I still say we have some of the cheapest gas in the industrialized world. Also our gov makes way more much money on gas taxes than oil companies make profit. If you want to lower the price of gas a bit, get the gov to lower taxes on it. I will NEVER be against oil companies or any other company making a great profit.

My point on the thread was this....... Even doubled gas prices arent that much. For whatever reason you believe prices are up, the best solution is find a way to earn more. Griping and ranting about it doesnt do a thing and pays exactly 0 bucks an hour.
When you do the math even a 1.00 a gallon price increase isnt really that much.
My everyday driver is my jeep, because of the gearing and the 35 inch tires, I get about 10 mpg. I drive generally 200 miles a week. Thats 20 bucks a week a dollar increase in gas is costing me in my extreem gas guzzling car. 20 bucks a week or 80 bucks a month isnt even worth typing about. A 7 year old could make an extra 80 bucks a month with a lemonade stand.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:17 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

I spent $52 to fill up my car this morning.

I drive a Camry.

Talk about pump shock. :shock:

That said, I'm on the fence about the whole oil industry thing. Yeah, it sucks rocks. But SD is right in that over the past 20 or 30 years, gas prices have not been affected like everything else. I think our biggest problem is that it's all coming at one time. Yeah, I hate it. But what are you gonna do?

You adjust.