User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Expect the unexpected

I saw this accident yesterday......... from the drivers seat of the truck involved. I was doing my second trip of three for the day to the landfill I passed by a fire department dealing with a small hay fire that someone tried to burn some hay but it was still too wet and just smoldered for 2 days. I glanced over at them for 1 or 2 seconds and then back to the road to find a car stopped in front of me at an intersection waiting to turn left. I have no clue where this car came from. The only thing I can think of is they pulled out of a trailer park driveway that is right near the intersection. Unfortunately I'll never know. I can't remember much leading up to it. The witnesses say they saw them stop very fast to make the turn and that there wasn't any oncoming traffic so nobody know why they were just sitting there.

So anyways here's this car stopped and I definitely can't stop at all. To avoid nailing them I had to jerk the wheel hard to the right, I missed them by inches and then had to counter steer to the left to avoid hitting a electric pole head on and attempt to recover. The shoulder drop off was too steep and over she went. As it was laying over I still had a lot of forward momentum and the trailer caught the pole and snapped it 13 feet from the ground. The cab slammed the ground hard and dug into the dirt and stopped.

Since the fire department was right down the street I blew the air horns to give them some idea that I was ok. The truck ended up about 3/4 upside down, not quite all the way. So I was dangling there by the seat belt and my foot was stuck against the accelerator because the firewall caved in and pushed the center console against my foot and the accelerator. The firefighters and medical crew were right there quick. I wasn't in any pain or bleeding so I told them I felt It would be better if I tried to get out after I freed my foot ( which I had been trying to to the whole time I was talking to them). I finally got my foot unstuck and unlatched the seat belt, dropped and then climbed out. It took about 10 minutes.

I was lucky and didn't get a scratch on me. Just some bruising, mostly from trying to get out and the seat belt. So there's my truck on it's side, trash all over the place, power lines dangling, my full tanks of fuel leaking all over. In the end it turned out ok. I avoided possibly killing some people in the car, I didn't get hurt, nobody else got hurt, and the trailer that is worth way more than the truck in fine. It happened about 10:00 in the morning and we spent until 5:00 pm cleaning everything up and finished up this morning digging out and replacing the contaminated soil from the fuel.

Since there were many witnesses that told the cop I did what I had to do to avoid the car I only got a ticket for speed not reasonable/special hazard. DOT checked the truck over and found no violations which my company was real happy about. They also said they don't feel they need to fire me because it was simply just an accident and it could have been a hell of a lot worse. However it's up to the insurance company whether I'll continue to drive for them or not.

So anyways as much as I expect the unexpected the one time I let my guard down it happened. All it took was a second. I wasn't staring at the firefighters, just a 1 or 2 second glance and the right timing it can turn into a bad day. :? :?

Old 05-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Senior Board Member

All I can is daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

It's great that you made it out without injury. It's even better that you didn't take out anyone else as well.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Just looking at the pictures it looks like it could have been a bad day if you didn't have a seat belt on! I hope every thing turns out OK for you with the insurance company.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Board Icon

TK, you did a dang good job to miss the car and made sure to have a dang good hold the steering wheel, I can see where you bent it or was that bent while trying to squeeze loose??

I have learned to focus on driving and nothing else when behind the wheel. Too many people out there that have no idea the danger they put themselves in with some of the moves they make around us. We're a freight train on wheels and they do not understand that.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Senior Board Member

If I wasn't wearing my seat belt I would have went flying. I probably would have supermaned it right through the windshield.

Once I knew I was going over I did brace myself. I think the bend in the steering wheel was from it holding some of my weight. I sit up real high in the seat so the steer wheel is low in relation to my body. The seat belt did hold most of my weight back but I think it didn't lock up fast enough to avoid me hitting the steering wheel a little bit right about where my belt buckle is. Even with the seat all the way back and the steering wheel up I'm still close to it.

I'm allowed to gross out at 99,000 lbs and this particular load I was at 97,000 lbs. I consider myself a safe driver and have avoided many accidents, I wasn't able to avoid this one though. I drive all local roads to get to the landfill. Through villages, school zones, a barrage of traffic lights and a bunch of poor visibility intersections. It's just not a good route for trucks but it's the only way to get there.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Sorry to read and see the aftermath of your accident. But thank goodness nierther you or anyone else was hurt.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Senior Board Member

How is it going TK, they get you back to work?

Old 05-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Board Icon

WOW!! TK!! That was a close one! I'm glad You're okay... and the occupants of the car as well!

I hope your insurance company does the RIGHT thing!

I saw an accident this week, where the trucker had no time to react! A car came across the median in "record time" and flew right up into his grill!

The driver was okay, but they had a tarp over the vehicle! That's gonna be hard for him to live with, even thought HE was "just there."

It ONLY takes a second or two, folks! Death is ALWAYS in the hand of the "professional driver."

Always pay attention. Always plan ahead! TK did ALL he could do, under the circumstances.... but, ONCE the situation gets beyond your control.... you have to go BEYOND the "average" to avoid deaths. EVEN to the point, if your willing... of personal sacrifice!

I'm GLAD you are here, TK, to tell us about this.... and to REMIND us all of our responsibilities!

I HOPE those stupid 4wheelers know how LUCKY they were!!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Board Icon

TK, did the car stop or keep going??
Old 05-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
TK, did the car stop or keep going??
The car turned and went on its way. From what I heard they never knew what happended. They knew I was behind them but for some reason they thought I made it ok, although it was impossibe. Somehow the police found them over an hour later based on a description of the car. I never found out anything about the other car. They may have got a ticket but I don't know. In the end it's still my responsibility, even if a car pulled out in front of me or stopped fast, to know whats going on in front of me, scan for hazards and maintain a safe following distance.