User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 01:53 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How hard is it for you to find a place to park for the night

There was an article in the news about how the trucking industry is growing with company's adding new trucks everyday. The problem is that the truck stops are too full and many drivers are parking in Safeway parking lots or on the side of the road and getting fined.

What has been your experience? Is it tough out there to find a spot to park and sleep for the night?
Old 05-04-2007, 02:59 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: How hard is it for you to find a place to park for the n

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverb1
What has been your experience? Is it tough out there to find a spot to park and sleep for the night?
On the few occasions when I needed to park somewhere other than a store (where I was unloading in the morning), it was virtually impossible to find anything, anywhere. Not even ramps or rest areas with 2 hr. parking limits. By the time I would have been that tired, it was maybe 3:00 AM or so, and everything was long since clogged up with solar powered trucks.

It's a real problem over here on the east coast. Can't speak of out west. Never been out there, and I like it that way. Too far from home.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Default Re: How hard is it for you to find a place to park for the n

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverb1
There was an article in the news about how the trucking industry is growing with company's adding new trucks everyday. The problem is that the truck stops are too full and many drivers are parking in Safeway parking lots or on the side of the road and getting fined.

well,i just got done doing a year over the road.And yes it is VERY hard to get a parking spot out there after 5pm.I would typically start my day at around 5am,so by around 4pm-5pm id be pulling into the TS somewhere for sleep.Too me,theres nothing worse than being tired and not being able to find a place to park.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Senior Board Member

I do not know about Canada, but here in the US it depends on the area you are in. East of the Mississippi river tends to be a lot more problematic than west of it, with the exception of being around the bigger cites then it all can be real "fun" finding a parking space.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

For the most part...I do just fine. There are times I am out of luck...but I just roll further down the trail, and take the next opportunity. It is easier if you look for a spot 5am-6pm.
When it's busy, I can circle a lot several times...in hopes for an opening...and sometimes one spot will give (persistence can pay-off)....or you can get creative, long as you are not blocking off someone else.

It really helps if you know your routes and what spots are most likely to be good for you. I have also found it's the most popular and large TS's that are packed full. Many of the small "unknown" TS's will have a spot or two. (Invest in a TS location guiide)
Guy's that can't back for sheit...or wiggle in small places will not go to the dirt hole lots. But then they also are the ones who can only pull straight in...and closest to the Buffet...and you will also notice...they angle so they are taking up more than one spot...or like to pull so far forward...their neighbor has to go crazy trying to pull out around these dickweeds. :roll: :lol:

Overall...I usually always do just fine...or I am very lucky? I am running over 3k miles every week, and I'm everywhere...so I'm not just talking about parking in upstate North Dakota. :?
80% of the time I am parking at a Truck Stop. I love my Truck Stops.
Even the crappy ones. :lol:
Old 05-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Board Icon

upstate North Dakota :lol: :lol:

That's like I-20 outside of Abilene. There are 2 pickle parks. One on each side. Both pickle parks are plumb full. You cant get a bicycle in there. Yet, there are 2, or 3 truck stops not 5 miles east of those pickle parks. :P :lol:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 05-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Rookie

Its funny all the solar powered trucks on the road now and days. I was running MI to louisville,ky 3-4 times a week and just drove all that way back to MI most of the time. I was impossable to find a spot. I usally go to meijer or wallmart some kind of retailer or evern a ind park if you can find one. Or find an adult book store theres spots there but they need to build more truckstops.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:47 AM

I'm solar powered and i've never had a situation where I couldn't find a place to park-----eventually. It might take me two or three tries going a bit further down the road, but eventually I find a place.

The real question(s) should be:
Can you find a quiet, legal, and safe place to park every night? A place where someone won't pull up next to you and crank the engine to 1000rpm?

I would say no.

I think more hotels should offer parking and AC power only. Actually, that has got me thinking about campgrounds..........
Old 05-05-2007, 03:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian griffin
I'm solar powered and i've never had a situation where I couldn't find a place to park-----eventually. It might take me two or three tries going a bit further down the road, but eventually I find a place.

The real question(s) should be:
Can you find a quiet, legal, and safe place to park every night? A place where someone won't pull up next to you and crank the engine to 1000rpm?

I would say no.

I think more hotels should offer parking and AC power only. Actually, that has got me thinking about campgrounds..........
Kinda like IdleAir?
Old 05-05-2007, 03:54 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I had more problems with this when i first started...I have been pretty observant in my time out and have a pretty good idea of what places will and wont a space or 2 open in certain areas...I never hesitate to hop on the radi and ask for tips and hiding places either, i have been pretty lucky...Much of the East Coast is a monster unto itself as far as parking goes but i usualy just try and plan myself out better on those trips. I can just say that I have never(so far) had to lose more than a short few minutes of sleep over finding a parking space. Sometimes you just have to be creatvive and maybe explore off of the beaten path a bit. And as stated before, it really helps to have your backing skills shined up and pretty. I have gotten lucky a time or 2 with spaces that others gave up on.