User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Dancing with the bright Pixies at University of Edinburgh
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I don,t think so Hobo mate.
It would take one hell of a long post to adequately describe British feelings of Regional and National pride. We are one hell of a diverse bunch. We,re all proud of being British but first and foremost we all have our Regional pride. Point of interest, did you know that Highland Islanders hate being referred to as Scots? But come times of trouble, they,re Scottish and fervently British.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Old 05-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Board Icon

Maybe "I" misread it then, simply skimmed over it. But, I believe his wording/point was that ENGLISHMEN don't like to say they are "merely" Englishmen. They prefer the STATUS that says they are BRITISH (as in... WE united the islands under BRITISH rule.) Scots, on the other hand, might find the tag "British" a bit demeaning, as they are more proud of their independent Scottish history and somewhat ?resent? the ENGLISH for "incorporating" them into the British Empire??

Didn't the Irish fight a few "skirmishes" with the BRITS over this kind of thing? What do "I" know?...... I'm just a dumb Yank! :shock: :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Sorry Hobo, but you too, totally miss the point. The English are very proud of being English, but being English is secondary to being a Geordie, Cockney, Cornishman, etc etc. Then you have British national pride which all Britons feel. Its kind of a holy trinity.
A Highland Islander will feel more pride at being from Uist but still feel enormous pride in being Scots and British. I suppose you,re right....You just don,t get it :roll: :wink:

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Old 05-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Board Icon

Wot said:

Quote:
Sorry Hobo, but you too, totally miss the point.
and...

Quote:
I suppose you,re right....You just don,t get it
Hey, maybe you're right!! I may not "get" the true situation of "English pride" and all that you said along with it. THANKS for the education.

But, I'm not so sure I misread the intent of the BBC report, and therefore the point Silvan was trying to make. I DO thank you for the "heads up" on how you Brits view the BBC! (Somewhat like the way the Conservatives over here view CNN!)

A question then.... would you say the BBC is anti "Conservative party" which is NOT currently in power? Or "anti-Labor party?"

Or are they equal opportunity limey haters?? :lol:

Old 05-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Senior Board Member

The B.B.C are neither pro Labour nor Conservative. They act impartially until public opinion persuades them to come off the fence and back one or the other, hedging bets so to speak.
With regards to them slating Englishmen for a supposed lack of pride, the result was a fervent almost religious zealous like pride swept the nation. Probably the desired effect the B.B.C wanted to increase viewing figures for the world cup. Nothing to do with any pride, fear of calling oneself English etc. Cynical but most likely true.
If you,re genuinely interested in British culture and history Hobo, I can e-mail you and pass on all that I studied whilst at college. :wink:

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Old 05-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wot i life
The B.B.C are neither pro Labour nor Conservative. They act impartially until public opinion persuades them to come off the fence and back one or the other, hedging bets so to speak.
With regards to them slating Englishmen for a supposed lack of pride, the result was a fervent almost religious zealous like pride swept the nation. Probably the desired effect the B.B.C wanted to increase viewing figures for the world cup. Nothing to do with any pride, fear of calling oneself English etc. Cynical but most likely true.
If you,re genuinely interested in British culture and history Hobo, I can e-mail you and pass on all that I studied whilst at college. :wink:
You can fit all THAT in an email?? I AM interested.... but I might suggest another "sticky!" :lol:

Your cynical view of the BBC wanting to ramp up support for the World Cup, sounds JUST a bit like our FNC (Fascist News Channel!) :lol:

I'll say one thing.... it's good to see you Brits can still get your knickers in a knot when someone steps on your toes! :lol:

And I absolutely LOVE the way your "parliamentarians" stand up, even against the PM, and say what they feel! And how the other side gives back with a hearty Hurrah! Politicians over here take themselves FAR too seriously!!

I'm surprised they don't just go ahead and serve up a pint or two whilst going at it! :shock: :lol:

Old 05-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo

You can fit all THAT in an email?? I AM interested.... but I might suggest another "sticky!" :lol:

Your cynical view of the BBC wanting to ramp up support for the World Cup, sounds JUST a bit like our FNC (Fascist News Channel!) :lol:

I'll say one thing.... it's good to see you Brits can still get your knickers in a knot when someone steps on your toes! :lol:

And I absolutely LOVE the way your "parliamentarians" stand up, even against the PM, and say what they feel! And how the other side gives back with a hearty Hurrah! Politicians over here take themselves FAR too seriously!!

I'm surprised they don't just go ahead and serve up a pint or two whilst going at it! :shock: :lol:
If British history fits onto one e-mail(which I never said 1 only) then perhaps American history would fit onthe back of a postage stamp?
Said with tongue in cheek.
As for our politicians taking themselves too seriously....They have to!! If they have any real aspirations for us to become the 51st state then they have to show willing..... :lol:

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Old 05-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wot i life
Quote:

If British history fits onto one e-mail(which I never said 1 only) then perhaps American history would fit onthe back of a postage stamp?

Make it the FRONT! You can LICK the back of a postage stamp! But... well you know where THAT one is going! :lol:

Said with tongue in cheek.

What? You're out of beer??

As for our politicians taking themselves too seriously....They have to!! If they have any real aspirations for us to become the 51st state then they have to show willing..... :lol:

That WAS funny! But, I DID say OUR politicians take themselves too seriously! Someday, I'll have to TEACH you this English language! :wink: Right after Puerto Rico becomes the 51st state! :shock: :lol: (Still trying to teach THEM Spanish!)

Old 05-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

That WAS funny! But, I DID say OUR politicians take themselves too seriously! Someday, I'll have to TEACH you this English language! :wink: Right after Puerto Rico becomes the 51st state! :shock: :lol: (Still trying to teach THEM Spanish!)

Oh pleez teackh me speeek reel Merican. Like I am form Miami no?

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Old 05-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Board Icon

Silvan: This is a letter to your parents to inform them that, "You were killed in action as collateral damage."

It seems that Wot brought out the BIG GUNS (his 13 year old daughter,) and shot me/us down!

It is still under military investigation (meaning it will take a few years,) but we are trying to determine just HOW such a small force was able to surround us, and destroy us!

We regret any inconveniene this death has caused your family, and want you all to know how PROUD we are of your sacrifice for the religious cause!

Furthermore, we are sending Cheney over there to "give them a piece of our minds" over this!

Keep your shin up, and stray the horse!.... I mean Stay the corpse!.... I mean.... well.... "WINK" You KNOW what I MEANT to say before they misunderestimated me!

Those dang tourerists are constantly trying to find a way to harm our military, and so are our allies and us!

Respectively.... your Precedent!