Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyykatt
Theyre big n' bad n' pretty
So is a FL Classic, the only difference is Petes hold their value. That's what Pete owners love to throw in others faces but what they don't tell you is the price difference in brand new, comparably spec'ed trucks.
I went on truckpaper. com and compared:

New 07 Pete 379 Ex hood
475 Cat, 13 spd.,3.36 rears, 265" w.b., 70" sleeper, 22.5lp with all alum. wheels. $125350

New 07 Freightliner Classic XL
475 Cat, 13 spd., 3.58 rears, 260" w.b. 70" condo sleeper, 22.5 lp with all alum. wheels. $120,500

I then searched 06 used trucks with comparable miles:

06 Pete Ex hood
475 Cat, 13 spd., 3.36 rears, 270 w.b. 70" sleeper 24.5 lp with all alum. wheels with 190,000 miles. Price $125,000

06 Freightliner Classic XL
475 Cat, 13 spd. 3.58 rears, 260" w.b., 70" sleeper 22.5 lp with all alum. wheels with 166,450 miles. Price $79,900

I tried to keeps specs as close as possible and not use special editions for either comparison. It is interesting though.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Board Icon

I've always liked Petes. Ever since I can remember, I always loved seeing those cow trucks, long Petes with all those lights.

I loved the 359s, too. Especially, the flat tops. Corvette dash, wood grain dash, chrome guages, and chrome toggle switches. The only bad thing about them, was the air duct system. Two swivel air vents on top of the dash. :P You could reach to the right, unlock the passenger door. These 9200i Internationals that I drive every night, you have to walk a mile to reach the passenger door. :?

About a quarter mile down the road from our yard is an oil equipment company. They go out, and work in oil fields. They have 2 needle nose Petes. Both of them are sharp as a tack. I dont know what year model they are, but they have the butterfly hoods, and they put straights on both. You can hear every cylinder firing in those old kitty cats. :P

Nothing purtyier than a Peter with a drop down visor, Texas bumber, straights, round headlights, and more lights than you can shake a stick at. :P

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 04-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Senior Board Member

You can get new columbias for ~85k
Old 04-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Senior Board Member

does anyone here drive a kworth w900, i keep hearing that the fuel mileage is horrible?? im looking to buy new truck as we speak, any info would help, thanks!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 09:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel27208
does anyone here drive a kworth w900, i keep hearing that the fuel mileage is horrible?? im looking to buy new truck as we speak, any info would help, thanks!!!
There is guy around here that has Kw W900s pulling dump trailer and his trucks get about 5.5 to 6mpg.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack2
Quote:
There is guy around here that has Kw W900s pulling dump trailer and his trucks get about 5.5 to 6mpg.
Not sure about his operation but would be willing to bet he runs more local-semi local runs. That and his gross weight is usually alot more then an OTR gig. Lots of stop and go, heavier weight.

Would be better to compare that truck to a gig that resembles what you'll be using it for.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I just traded in a W9 w/DD60 and 370 rears and I got around 6.4 on average,on my Pete with a C15 475 and 336 rears i get around 5.9

Old 04-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Body style may play a role.
A T-600 will provide less wind drag.

Here are some other factors to add into the equation. What you haul...how much weight, and where. Do you run a lot of mountains?...any routes with steep grades? Do you run a lot of City traffic...or rural routes with stop and go?
Do you keep your tractor and Trailer well greased and maintained? Proper tire pressure all around? Clean air filters? Are you tuned and calibrated (CPU chip) for maximum fuel economy? Are your road gears the proper combination for the loads you generally haul? What kind of driver are you? Do you feel you must race to your destination? Do you start out letting the trans do the work...or are you powering up like there is no tomorrow? Do you do a lot of needless idling? Do you close the space between the Tractor and the Trailer whenever you can...or too lazy for that?

Just a few points to consider if you need more fuel economy. Helps with any model you drive.

There are other factors...I am not hitting on...like choice of motor. I hear the Volvo motor gets better economy...etc.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:59 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
Same here when I went from a 379 to my Century class I thought I had died and went to heaven.
People who live in a trailer park get the same feeling when they move up to a double wide, but eventually they realize they are still living in trailer. :lol:

I drove mostly Petes over the years, plenty of room for how I ran, Mon-Fri, overnighting twice a week. I suppose if one lives in the truck for weeks at a time and brings enough crap to fill a studio apartment the extra room would be nice.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:10 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:

Most owners I talk with do good to get 5 mpg. I looked at a 2005 W900 with a 86" studio, 18 spd., C-15. I don't recall the gears. The guy said it got 4.5 to 5 mpg. :shock: