Salute SEAL
He lived fairly close to me.

If I die on the silver strand
bury me in an old beer can
place my swim fins upon my chest
bury me in the lean and rest

from a cadence run at Coranodo

By PETE FRECCHIO,Staff Writer

CRYSTAL FALLS — A Navy SEAL from Crystal Falls has been killed in Iraq, Defense Department officials reported.

Special Warfare Operator Second Class Petty Officer Joseph Clark Schwedler, 27, of Crystal Falls, was killed Thursday, April 5, by enemy fire while conducting combat operations in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom in the Al Anbar province of Iraq.

Schwedler was participating in his team's assault on a home occupied by terrorists involved in the recent downing of a coalition helicopter.

An Iraqi soldier involved in the joint operation also was killed, and two other SEALs were wounded, a Defense Department news release said.

Schwedler is the sixth U.P. serviceman to die while serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Schwedler’s leaves behind his parents Judge Joseph and Susan Schwedler, one brother and one sister.

Judge Joseph Schwedler is the trial court judge in Iron County.

“Our hearts go out to the family, friends, and teammates of Petty Officer Schwedler in this very difficult time,” said Capt. Chaz Heron, Commodore Naval Special Warfare Group Two, at Norfolk, Va.

“He was a great warrior, teammate, and friend to so many of us in the Naval Special Warfare community, and his spirit and sacrifice will live on in each of us as we continue to fight the Global War on Terror,” Capt. Heron said in a statement.

“Petty Officer Schwedler lived by the SEAL Code, and time and again his actions in training and on the battlefield embodied the physical agility and mental toughness that characterizes the best of Naval Special Warfare,” Capt. Heron said. “He will surely be missed and certainly not forgotten.”

Schwedler was a 1997 graduate of Forest Park High School.

Schwedler participated in many high school activities, including football, basketball, and track. He was active in student council and served as senior class president.

He also attended Michigan State University.

While at Michigan State University, Schwedler was a member of the rowing team. He was an avid outdoorsman who enjoyed hunting, skiing, and camping.

He enlisted in the U.S. Navy March 25, 2002, and graduated from boot camp at Recruit Training Command, Great Lakes, Ill., in October 2002.

In November 2002, Petty Officer Schwedler entered Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL (BUD/S) training in Coronado, Calif., Class 246.

It was the SEALs’ embodiment of the Navy core values of honor, courage, and commitment that drew Schwedler to volunteer for SEAL training, the Defense Department said.

Lt. David Luckett, public affairs spokesman for Naval Special Warfare Group Two at Norfolk, Va., said it is never easy to lose one of your own.

“Schwedler’s SEAL teammates are taking it tough, but they know the have a job to do and they have to put this loss behind them and move forward,” Lt. Luckett said.

Schwedler’s body should return home within four to seven days.

Following graduation from BUD/S, Schwedler completed advanced SEAL training courses including parachute training at Basic Airborne School, Fort Benning, Ga., six months of SEAL Qualifications Training in Coronado and cold weather combat training in Kodiak, Alaska.

He was assigned to an East Coast-based SEAL team in July 2004 and was subsequently promoted to Petty Officer Second Class in December 2004.

In the ensuing months, Schwedler participated in specialized training in preparation for his SEAL Team’s deployment to the Central Command area of operations late last year in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

His awards and decorations include the Iraqi Campaign Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal, and Sea Service Deployment ribbon.

A military funeral will take place Saturday, April 14, at 1 p.m. at the Forest Park High School gymnasium in Crystal Falls.

A scholarship fund will be established with the Crystal Falls Area Community Fund, Post Office Box 269, Crystal Falls, Michigan 49920.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

There is another Frogman awaiting the final muster call right now. Also may his team be allowed to tie one on when they get stateside like true S.E.A.L.S should be and not be written up for it afterwards to honor there fallen shipmate. I know one thing if Richard Marcinko aka Demo Dick the founder of SEAL Team SIX right now would have his entire team at Rouge Manor telling them here is the Bombay and the beer and I do not want to see any of it left in the morning.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:35 AM
Board Icon

Also may his team be allowed to tie one on when they get stateside like true S.E.A.L.S should be and not be written up for it afterwards to honor there fallen shipmate.

Amen Brother and I guarantee there won't be any military correctness allowed.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Board Icon

I imagine you might be attending Bill.
Our thoughts and prayers go with you if so, and condolances for the family.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog
I imagine you might be attending Bill.
Our thoughts and prayers go with you if so, and condolances for the family.
That goes for me, too. Sorry to hear about it, Yoopr. Praying for yall, bro.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 04-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Board Icon

Thanks all
Yep-They're gonna have Memorial Services at the High School in Crystal Falls Roadhog-Too bad you can't make it up here
His Dad was a Vietnam Vet and now a judge up here