User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2007, 09:36 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default LETS GO UNION

Well I didnt want to do this but i called the teamsters a couple days ago. Am trying to get my company to go union. They took away one to many benefits from us. We used to get OT after 8 now it is OT after 40. Used to get $$120 a year for work boots. Now we get no work boot money. Used to have 5 sick days. Now we have 2. Used to have 6 personal days. Now we got 4. They also took the day after turkey day was paid not no more.
Am telling them 2marrow am talking to the union and leading all of this. I know i will be on there black ball list but that is fine. I just hope i can get enough votes to make it happen. Where will it stop i dont think it is going to. For years we had them benefits but now management is messing up and we are losing for there mistakes. Well i will let you know how it goes.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 04-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Oh and on top of things i forgot to say we got a big 3% rise oh boy. For me it is like 55 cents an hr. Last year they gave us 5%.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 04-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Good luck Mackman!!!

Old 04-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Senior Board Member

thanks ben i just hope they stand behind me(other drivers) when i put my neck on the line. I think some are just talking out there ass and if it comes down to it wont do it.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:11 AM
Board Regular

Somebody tried to start a union at my work we all got a dollar raise and 35 people lost thier jobs. Couple of things happen six months after the ten votes for and the 135 against. One we lost our raise two threats were made anyone else talks about union you will lose your job a few other things they siad they let slide would be perment record.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:30 AM
Senior Board Member

I'd love to see a new union, the teamsters are just too screwed up for words. They are still not as screwed up as the generic OTR outfit though. The problem with union work and the new breed trucker is that they shun work rules and regulations, they did not get into trucking to be a conformist or to follow any rules. This is the "lifestyle trucker". To work a union job you really have to want to follow some pretty constrictive work rules, but it beats not getting compensated for 70% of what a driver is required to do.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Im no expert by any means, but from what i hear he who leads the unionization effort gets fired to make an example for the other drivers. I suggest some sort of covert approach till you have momentum to win a vote. Do your homework first- theres watchdog groups and surely some help and tips from the unions. good luck to you, I really hope you succeed! Keep us posted Mackman!
Old 04-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Senior Board Member

In my previous life when I worked at Rubbermaid there was talk going around to try to unionize the factory I was in. Rubbermaid had corporate people come in for a huge meeting at the plant. They made it plainly clear that if we voted in a union they would simply close down the plant and move its operations to Mexico.

They made no qualms about stating it either. I think the meeting lasted about 5 minutes. Needless to say it never went union.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
In my previous life when I worked at Rubbermaid there was talk going around to try to unionize the factory I was in. Rubbermaid had corporate people come in for a huge meeting at the plant. They made it plainly clear that if we voted in a union they would simply close down the plant and move its operations to Mexico.

They made no qualms about stating it either. I think the meeting lasted about 5 minutes. Needless to say it never went union.
I was wanting to say that to a point. Why are all the Companies going to Mexico? No Union there.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Default Re: LETS GO UNION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
Well I didnt want to do this but i called the teamsters a couple days ago. Am trying to get my company to go union. They took away one to many benefits from us. We used to get OT after 8 now it is OT after 40. Used to get $$120 a year for work boots. Now we get no work boot money. Used to have 5 sick days. Now we have 2. Used to have 6 personal days. Now we got 4. They also took the day after turkey day was paid not no more.
Am telling them 2marrow am talking to the union and leading all of this. I know i will be on there black ball list but that is fine. I just hope i can get enough votes to make it happen. Where will it stop i dont think it is going to. For years we had them benefits but now management is messing up and we are losing for there mistakes. Well i will let you know how it goes.

I have mixed feelings about unions. I still feel that people should be paid according to performance. A union takes away the need to perform your best. In fact, most places where I have gone over the years and there was a union present, it is frown upon to perform above a certain level. I understand that the company has taken away a few paid days and they are no longer paying for your work boots. I have never had a company pay for my work clothes, nor would I expect it. Business has been way off the last several months. They did give you a raise, even if it wasn't as much as before. I would consider that a blessing in itself. Most companies don't pay over time until after 40 hours. It could be that some were abusing the paid off days. They may only be doing what they can to survive. I am not necessarily defending them, but it seems to me as though things really aren't all that bad. My feeling is that if you don't like the direction of the company where you work, you leave and find a company you like.