LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: LETS GO UNION

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
In fact, most places where I have gone over the years and there was a union present, it is frown upon to perform above a certain level.
I've seen this too. Working faster/better/harder is a good way to get the union brothers to gang up on you in the parking lot after work. I'm not against unions, but I've seen unions that just weren't working for their members. I have no opinion on the IBT one way or the other though. I just don't know enough about what's going on with them these days to have any basis for an opinion. (That's one for the record books. A truck driver who admitted he doesn't know what he's talking about, and didn't try to opine on the subject anyway )
Quote:
Business has been way off the last several months. They did give you a raise, even if it wasn't as much as before.
Here's my take on these last two points. Business was down so far at my last company that they dumped their entire transportation division, and went with a third-party carrier. Boom. We're all out of a job we planned to keep forever. On the last day, we got together and gave our former boss a 24x36 sized poster version of that little picture in my .sig, with every driver standing in front of his truck, and his signature on the picture. We all stood around crying. Ten grown men bawling like women at a wedding.

We thought they were cheap bastards because our insurance kept getting more expensive, and paying for less; because they took away this and that; because we all went several years in a row without a raise, etc., but at the end of the day they really couldn't afford to do any of those things, and we would have just been out of a job that much sooner if we had tried to organize and force them to give us our way.

I pretty much realized this, and I didn't make any noise about no raise, etc. I was just happy to have the job. I'll never have another job that fit my personality and my lifestyle so perfectly as that one.

I'm trying to make the best of it where I'm at now, but life will never be the same. If I had known what was going to happen, I would have taken a painful pay cut to keep that job. If I could go back there and take that pay cut now, I'd give up $290 a week right now straight off the top to go back working for my old company.

I'm just saying maybe Mackman needs to think about what else is out there, and how much he likes where he is at now. I know where I am at now is a job I turned down three other times without the slightest interest in taking it. The guy's trying to give me this yee haw everything is great now that you finally came to your senses kind of deal, but the fact is I am doing a lot more work for a little more money over here, and it wouldn't be worth it if I had any other choice.

I'm glad this was here for a Plan B, because it's still a lot better than most of what else is out there in this business, but I was also wise to turn this job the three other times. I wouldn't have been happy here a month if I still had my old home to go back to.

This is me, not you. You have to make up your own mind, Mackman, but if you like your job any kind of the way I used to like mine, you really might not want to see them slam the doors shut in your face. It sucks.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Well I talked to my boss (friend of the family) today. HE told me just to watch out cuz i will be walking a fine line. Am OK with that. HE told me these new management people cant not run the business that's why are benefits are slowly going away. There just not turning a profit like they should. Bidding jobs way to cheap. So that makes me even more mad cuz we the drivers did nothing wrong to deserve this. Fire management and get people who can do there jobs.

By the way this is not the normal trucking business with haul SEPTIC SLUDGE so we are busy all year round. By the way we used to top out at 5 weeks pd vac. now it is only 3. Found that out today. Sorry for the missed spell words am kinda in a rush but we keep you all up to date.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 04-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: LETS GO UNION

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
They did give you a raise, even if it wasn't as much as before. I would consider that a blessing in itself.
Well if you count all the stuff they took away we didnt get a raise we still lost. The raise does not over come what we lost
. :evil:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug