User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2007, 06:00 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What is with the additudes?

What is up with all the additudes in this profession? I thought it was bad in my last profession (auto tech) but wow. I am really trying to keep my cool, but it's hard. I usually respond with being overly polite, and somewhat condesending "wow driver, I gave up name calling when I was about 14" but that is about as far as it will go.

What I don't understand is that there is no reason for it. I asked one driver to pull up because he was blocking the fuel isle, I just said "please move up a little bit" he just responded by calling me every name in the book.

Also, something that is going to cause an accident real soon, drivers that drive slower but then speed up when I try to pass, then drive real slow once I fall behind them. I am not talking about weight differences, I hear them increase the throttle when I get beside them.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Welcome to the world of truck driving. Unfortunately those things are something you'll just have to get used to. My biggest pet peeve are drivers at the fuel lanes who take up a space just to go in and buy something to eat or use the rest room and never buy fuel. I've seen drivers eat their lunch while parked at a fuel pump. Try saying something about it and you'll likely get shot or get a tire thumper upside the head. Its getting to the point where I'm seriously considering giving up driving after 13yrs. I only see it getting worse as time goes on.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 04-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Sorry about that Jason.
This is a very stressful occupation, and not many are cut out for it, or able to manage the stress. People like this do not last long as Driver's...and those people like you witnessed are most likely near then end of their rope.

Many of them are reflecting the attitudes given to them.
It's like how a smile or laughter is contagious.... :lol:
The opposite emotions and reactions can be too. :evil: :x

The road games are especially uncalled for by a "professional" driver. But keep in mind....many of these "so-called professional driver's" were civilian driver's with the same mentality. The driver's license did not change their personality, or their driving habits.

It is a pet-peeve of mine too...when you encounter a Trucker behaving like this with a 40-ton vehicle. People are behaving badly more and more these days. The problem again is contagious, and spreading. One must not succumb to these behaviors, and therefore pass them on.

The behavior you are focused upon in regards to Trucker's, is not unique to this profession. It exists everywhere. Driver's come from every walk of life too. Many people today are immature and irrational, and exibiting unstable personalities. You can witness a Psychologist sitting in a BMW react the very same way, both at the fuel island, or on the roadway. It transgresses culture and status as well.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

There are a lot of reasonable well balanced truck drivers out there that do it becuase they like it, wanted a second carreer or think its just a cooll way to make money....but there is a large section of what can be considered just straight up socialy challenged pigs that just couldnt hack living with the rest of the outside world and those are the ones you have been running into, I do my best to be very social and polite to everyone that i can and i just dont understand the mentality that some of those wastes of space carry with them...please dont get the impression that the whole industry is made up of these types.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Rookie

I understand what you guys are saying. I guess it's not much different than class C drivers except we have cb's and it's a much bigger ordeal in a 40 ton 70+ foot vehicle.

I know I have my cell phone, I can call them in to 911 for road rage or detaining me against my will. Maby nothing will really happen but getting pulled over and maby searched would set thier tune right.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnajj
I've seen drivers eat their lunch while parked at a fuel pump.
I finally saw that too. I used to do all my fuel stops late at night, but I don't drive late at night anymore, so I have to fuel during the day. I made the mistake of fueling at the Love's in Dandridge, TN at about 1:00 in the afternoon. I had to wait three eternities to get into a pump, and then the asshole in front of me ate lunch and took a shower while I was stuck there with another truck 3" off my back bumper. Nothing I could do. In my old stick wagon, I might have squeaked out, but not in this monster.

I've been out here 10 years to your 13, but I agree with you that this is getting a lot worse. No courtesy, and it seems like 99% of the drivers out here don't know what the hell they're doing. I'm not talking about newbie mistakes, but just demonstrating a complete lack of... I don't know, cultural conformity or something. They're not our brothers, these guys.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I was at a truck stop the other day and they had a sign posted that if you park at their fuel island you will have your truck towed. Unfortunately, there are some in this business who are from the lower end of society. They think that the world must conform to their whims and desires. If that happens again, I suggest talking to the store manager and let them handle it. They should have their truck towed. If not, call the drivers company and talk to them. That should at least get the drivers attention. For the most part, I have met some nice people out here on the road. There seem to be more coming into this business who should never have been allowed to open the door of a big truck. For those who are so inconsiderate, I suggest we do out best to get them out of the business. Calling their company is a good start. And if you get stuck behind a driver such as that again and someone is behind you, ask the guy behind to back up. Most will be glad to accommodate you.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I was at a truck stop the other day and they had a sign posted that if you park at their fuel island you will have your truck towed.
Every truckstop has a sign like that, it seems, but nobody actually enforces it. I used to have to navigate through three rows of crooked trucks parked by a huge NO PARKING THIS SIDE OF FUEL ISLAND OR YOU WILL BE TOWED sign every night, but that was OK, because at least I could get to the fuel island straight away 99% of the time, once I ran the gantlet.
Quote:
I suggest talking to the store manager and let them handle it.
I waited 20 or so minutes trying to get a chance to talk to somebody. They were too busy to need my business.
Quote:
If not, call the drivers company and talk to them.
There was no info on the truck or trailer. I guess I should have written down ICC numbers and/or plates, or tried to get look at the receipt before mine from that pump, but I was too pissed to think that clearly.
Quote:
And if you get stuck behind a driver such as that again and someone is behind you, ask the guy behind to back up.
There was nowhere for him to go either. The whole place was completely jammed up like sardines in a can. I surmise perhaps there were other steering wheel holders sucking down fried chicken that day.

Oh well, welcome to the real world. The bottom line is probably less about Love's or this particular driver, and a lot more about why I always used to fuel late at night. This is less something that just happened, and more something that I just suddenly had to start enduring in the course of doing my job; just like everybody else out here.

It sucks though. Just one more way I never realized how good I had it at New Energy until they kicked us all to the curb one day. I really more than half wish I had been able to hang it up successfully, and walk away from all this, but I am drawn to piloting an 18-wheeler like a moth to a candle. (Or else I am successfully coping with the fact that there is no market for any of my other skills, and I am stuck in this trade if I want to keep making my house payment. I don't know which is the truth, honestly.)

Anyway, good advice GMAN.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnajj
Welcome to the world of truck driving. Unfortunately those things are something you'll just have to get used to. My biggest pet peeve are drivers at the fuel lanes who take up a space just to go in and buy something to eat or use the rest room and never buy fuel.
Ever try piloting 90ft or so of doubles into a truck stop in the evening or at night? :wink:
Old 04-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Senior Board Member

take 2 drivers in downtown chicago during rush hour.. they'll cuss & yell at each other over the slightest comment. but take those same 2 drivers & put them on a lonely 2 ln ms road out in the country & they will act friendly. i would guess that most drivers are good people when at home & with their neighbors. but when they hit the road.. it's like dr. jeykl & mr. hyde.. i hear it all the time. a month ago a driver twice came over in my lane a little. i askedd on radio if he was o.k. he said he just needed to get to the rest area 3 mi ahead. i talked to him to keep him focused & alert. he thanked me. now some drivers would have cussed that driver for weaving lanes instead of asking what they could do to help. yeah i know if the driver was too tired to drive he shouldnt be out there on road. my concern was to help him get off the road safely. but thats just me.