User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Local guys, who works nights?

I finally got and job and I'm so excited to get back into and truck and driving down the road, BUT I'll be working nights for awhile until I get bumped up to day or afternoon runs. To start, my hours are going to be from 6pm-6am.

I'm not worried about being tired, but just wondering what you guys do when you get off? Do you go right to bed and do your chores before you go to work or do you do it right when you get off? Any tips for a new night time shift driver would be great.

Chris
Old 04-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Board Icon

I can't speak from experience but the time you get off, nothing is usually open at that hour. Better off doing whatever you need before you go on duty. My dad used to work "graveyard" shift as a mechanic for Southland. The only problem was not being awake when us kids were awake. We never saw one another but other than that, it was fine with him. You do the same stuff as if it were daytime only you do your errands before work usually.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Sounds like you got the job at Bettendorf. Cool.

I worked with a lot of their drivers up in Oregon on the night shift. They brought funny looking doubles up to the Weyerhauser sawmill in Cottage Grove. 5 axles total over 2 trailers instead of our 8 axle doubles!

My schedule was 5p-5a for almost 4 years by choice.

First day on:

If you're starting on Monday at 6pm, stay up late on Saturday and sleep for about 5-6 hours. Do your best not to nap on Sunday. Stay up all night on Sunday. Edit some photos. Surf the web. Go grocery shopping around 3 am to keep yourself awake. Get to bed Monday morning about 6 am and you should be able to sleep all day.

When you get home at 6 am, don't eat or drink coffee or soda with caffeine. I like to go to bed after a hot shower within about 2 hours of being off work. Get up around 3 hours before you're due in for work.

You would think that treating your night shift as a day shift (staying up until 10 pm, then sleeping until just before your shift starts) is a good idea. I never found this to be the case. The bulk of my free time was spent before work, not after. If the opposite works for you, do it.

Now when your week ends and it's a Saturday, try to get to bed as soon as you can and get up by noon to be a 'normal person' on the weekend. On Sunday, maybe a short nap so you can stay up overnight on Sunday and then repeat. If your days off are during the week, I would keep the same schedule. I hope you can get to dayshift soon. Night shift is not easy on your life.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
Sounds like you got the job at Bettendorf. Cool.

I worked with a lot of their drivers up in Oregon on the night shift. They brought funny looking doubles up to the Weyerhauser sawmill in Cottage Grove. 5 axles total over 2 trailers instead of our 8 axle doubles!

My schedule was 5p-5a for almost 4 years by choice.

First day on:

If you're starting on Monday at 6pm, stay up late on Saturday and sleep for about 5-6 hours. Do your best not to nap on Sunday. Stay up all night on Sunday. Edit some photos. Surf the web. Go grocery shopping around 3 am to keep yourself awake. Get to bed Monday morning about 6 am and you should be able to sleep all day.

When you get home at 6 am, don't eat or drink coffee or soda with caffeine. I like to go to bed after a hot shower within about 2 hours of being off work. Get up around 3 hours before you're due in for work.

You would think that treating your night shift as a day shift (staying up until 10 pm, then sleeping until just before your shift starts) is a good idea. I never found this to be the case. The bulk of my free time was spent before work, not after. If the opposite works for you, do it.

Now when your week ends and it's a Saturday, try to get to bed as soon as you can and get up by noon to be a 'normal person' on the weekend. On Sunday, maybe a short nap so you can stay up overnight on Sunday and then repeat. If your days off are during the week, I would keep the same schedule. I hope you can get to dayshift soon. Night shift is not easy on your life.
That's EXACTLY what I was looking for thanks man. I'm going to try that schedule. I still want to have a "normal" weekend when everyone else is off and it will be nice to go to a party and be able to stay up all night without passing out around 2! :lol:

I drove for the first time in a couple months today and was more nervous than I've ever been. My co-driver was pretty chill so I relaxed and drove down the road. I have to get used to driving a different truck with diffrent clutch... But I did it and he said I did a "helluva job". I hit the unloading back like I just quit driving yesterday. He was impressed... I'm so happy that I can go back to driving. Now all I need to do is find a portable XM player and I'll be set!

Photos to follow as soon as I get in the truck.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Be careful of the axles being all the way at the back. I never drove anything but rear placed axles for 7 years until I drove OTR. Just watch your off track!
Old 04-04-2007, 12:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Yeah, thats something I'm going to have to get used too. I used to hate going to places like P&G's that make you slide your axels to the back before entering the facility. I always had my axels to the CA line or tucked all the way forward. Here in CA, bettendorfs trailers are 42' to 53 and most loads are right at 80k
Old 04-04-2007, 02:51 AM

The best tip I can give you is that you need to put up foil in your bedroom windows. At noon it will look like midnight in there which will be perfect, cuz the last thing you'll need is sun in your eyes when you're trying to sleep.

When I worked graveyard I would come home an unwind for and hour or two and then crash for a few hours, then I'd wake up and hang out with the family for a while, then I'd go back to sleep for 4-5 hours before I got up to get ready for work again. It sort of sucked splitting up my sleep, but a lot of guys do it so they can spend time with their families. It's not that bad, you'll get used to it.

Good luck.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Board Icon

Working nights is cool, to me. I run nights. Before I got married, I used to come home, clean up, and get online on the forum, and read some threads, etc. Now being married, just after I shower, I find myself crashing as soon as my head hits the pillow. :shock:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 04-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Rookie

Ok, i just quit a gig doing exactly this.

First of all, this is not a life----it is a survival. You'll see.

1) The first thing you want to do get your windows completely dark to the point where NO light gets in whatsoever; What i did was to go to Office depot and get the fiber presentation boards. This, along with duct tape pretty much did the trick. You could also use cardboard if you have enough of it. The main thing is to completely cover the windows so that absolutely no light gets in.

i then experimented with using timers to turn lights on a a pre-determined time. For example, i would get to sleep at around 5am and would sleep to about 12 or 1pm, so i would set the timer to turn lights on at around that time. You could also set the tv to come on at that time.

i wanted to experiement with a electro-mechanical shutter system like they use in the photography world which would let natural (outside) light in at a pre-determined time using the timer but i did not get around to doing it before i quit the wretched job. But you could try it.

2) When i got home, and by the way if you can get home before the sun comes up then that's a big plus, what i would do is get something to eat (hint:milk helps you fall asleep although be careful if you can't digest it to well like me) maybe a sandwich or something light; You don't nessesarily want to eat TOO heavily before going to bed.

Go to the bathroom.

And then get into bed as quickly as possible, but what i would do is turn the t.v. on but use the "sleep" function to turn off say an hour later; I found that the t.v. sort of helped me "decompress" and helped me fall asleep. I would usually fall asleep long before the t.v. turned off.

And, that's about it. In your case, you'll have to tell everyone to be quiet while you're sleeping----be serious about it.

3) It's messed up because what are you going to do on weekends? You're going to sleep, trust me.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but i don't think the gig will last. Not because it's a bad gig, but because of the hours. I'm living proof of this.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Kirshna
Ok, i just quit a gig doing exactly this.

First of all, this is not a life----it is a survival. You'll see.

1) The first thing you want to do get your windows completely dark to the point where NO light gets in whatsoever; What i did was to go to Office depot and get the fiber presentation boards. This, along with duct tape pretty much did the trick. You could also use cardboard if you have enough of it. The main thing is to completely cover the windows so that absolutely no light gets in.

i then experimented with using timers to turn lights on a a pre-determined time. For example, i would get to sleep at around 5am and would sleep to about 12 or 1pm, so i would set the timer to turn lights on at around that time. You could also set the tv to come on at that time.

i wanted to experiement with a electro-mechanical shutter system like they use in the photography world which would let natural (outside) light in at a pre-determined time using the timer but i did not get around to doing it before i quit the wretched job. But you could try it.

2) When i got home, and by the way if you can get home before the sun comes up then that's a big plus, what i would do is get something to eat (hint:milk helps you fall asleep although be careful if you can't digest it to well like me) maybe a sandwich or something light; You don't nessesarily want to eat TOO heavily before going to bed.

Go to the bathroom.

And then get into bed as quickly as possible, but what i would do is turn the t.v. on but use the "sleep" function to turn off say an hour later; I found that the t.v. sort of helped me "decompress" and helped me fall asleep. I would usually fall asleep long before the t.v. turned off.

And, that's about it. In your case, you'll have to tell everyone to be quiet while you're sleeping----be serious about it.

3) It's messed up because what are you going to do on weekends? You're going to sleep, trust me.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but i don't think the gig will last. Not because it's a bad gig, but because of the hours. I'm living proof of this.
This would be LewisFriend? Sounds JUST like him.
Mod want to help out here?