User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Volvo questions

I just finished training and got issued a '07 Volvo with 31k miles on it. It's a nice truck but I've got a few questions.

Odometer: The Freightliner I trained in had a setting on the odometer to zero out one mileage reading to keep track of each days miles. Is there a way to do this on the Volvo? There doesn't seem to be any buttons to set this.

Trailer brake hand lever: There isn't a lever on the dash. Are they doing it another way or not at all?

Air horn: There isn't a pull for the air horn. Another driver with an older Volvo said the center of the steering wheel activates the air horn. That's not true on my truck. Is there just no air horn on this beast?

Thanks
Old 03-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Odometer: The Freightliner I trained in had a setting on the odometer to zero out one mileage reading to keep track of each days miles. Is there a way to do this on the Volvo? There doesn't seem to be any buttons to set this.

This is the trip odometer.. it's possible that they did not spec the truck with one.. all else fails, use the old pen and paper

Trailer brake hand lever: There isn't a lever on the dash. Are they doing it another way or not at all?

Many company's are no longer specing these. Johnny bar, Johnson bar, trolley bar, trolley valve, hand valve, they are all the same thing. Too many bad accidents and just plain dumb things happen with them in the trucks. mainly they are a good way to get into a bad jackknife or rip the tandems out from under a trailer.

Air horn: There isn't a pull for the air horn. Another driver with an older Volvo said the center of the steering wheel activates the air horn. That's not true on my truck. Is there just no air horn on this beast?

Volveo's that I have seen have gone to a electronic horn.. not as much fun, but really, I cannot really remember the last time I used an airhorn for anything other than signalling that I was pulling out of the shed..
Old 03-24-2007, 07:10 PM

Thanks Fozzy, actually what I used the johnny bar for was to check my brake lights. Other than that I only used it when taking my CDL test.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:21 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Volvo questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by trux
I just finished training and got issued a '07 Volvo with 31k miles on it. It's a nice truck but I've got a few questions.

Thanks
ok we driver an 07 volvo 780
on the wiper control on the left side do you have an "ESC, return arrow and an up/down toggle switch..?
frist press the ESC a few times until (upper right corner) shows 1/? ours shows 1/12 then toggle down arrow to (time/distance) hit enter (top right should show 1/5) toggle down a few and you will see mi with an arrow and it will say 1 and 2 both are trips just press enter and it will let you clear 1 or 2. then press ESC a few times to get back to the start.

as to the horns, volvo doesn't use air anymore the two little buttoms are the CITY horn and the center is the HIGHWAY

hope that helps
Old 03-27-2007, 01:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trux
Thanks Fozzy, actually what I used the johnny bar for was to check my brake lights. Other than that I only used it when taking my CDL test.
I had to road test in some newish Volvo company truck. I couldn't find the trailer brakes either. I have no idea how you're supposed to check your brake lights with one of these things.

All the controls were seriously bizarre. Hazards on on the dash board come to mind right off, but everything was puzzling to me. I've driven about every make of truck but Western Star, and I've never been inside a more puzzling cab. Although that Mack front discharge cement mixer was a close second.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:17 PM

Thanks flood and silvan, a nice lady trucker with a Volvo showed me the wiper arm controls. That's handy.

And that highway horn is plenty obnoxious to replace the air horn. Although being in the center of the wheel is odd, if I press to hard on my log book I blast that horn. Definitely NOT handy late at night in the T/S.

:lol: :lol:

BTW, the sleeper heater in this thing will really roast your turkey.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Senior Board Member

something i should tall you about the AC also you can't trun the ac on in the sleeper, the temp and fan work in the sleeper but if you want AC in the sleeper you HAVE to turn the ac ON in the front with FAN on low if you don't it will not blow cold in the sleeper.