User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007, 02:38 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default *PICS* Another trucker from NY hits a CT bridge.

I was watchen WFSB News today and they where saying all truck drivers can't read the signs. They said one truck a week hit the bridge. A truck driver from NY don't realize CT. bridges are not the same measurement. In CT. we measure from the ground to bottom of the low over pass. NOT like NY. and a few other states. So I called them I think it went in one ear and out other. So how many other people don't know CT. low over pass? Is there a state that shows how they measure?
http://www.wfsb.com/slideshow/slides...38/detail.html
Old 03-23-2007, 04:07 AM
Board Regular

Yes sometimes it's the drivers fault when they hit an overpass. They don't know the height of their truck. Other times though it's the town or city'c fault. I've seen it several times. The towns do roadwork or resurfacing which changes the clearance but they neglect to measure the change and therefore don't change their signs stating the new clearance height. Had that happen to a friend of mine a couple of years ago in Michigan. He went under a bridge he'd done many times before but that time it took the front part off of the trailer. He ended up sueing the town and they had to pay for repairs to his trailer. Took almost 2 years for it to happen though. Drive safe everyone.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:46 AM
Board Regular

Being a native of Connecticut, I'll say that any truck driver who hits a bridge in CT can rest the blame squarely on their own shoulders. Every bridge is well marked at least a mile in advance if it is anything less than 14'. There are several old railroad bridges that are only 11 feet and change clearance in CT, some of the backwoods bridges are smaller and only fit one lane.

With several of these bridges in the area of CT I grew up in, I have watched or heard of hundreds of instances were a truck travelling down US-1 saw the "To I-95, turn right" sign, made the turn onto CT-81 and met face to face with an 11'6" RR bridge, despite the clearance sign positioned right next to the "To I-95" sign. Then there are two more signs, one 50 feet before the bridge and another on the deck of the bridge. They either realized their mistake and was able to back out and continue to the Hammonasett Connector or they struck the bridge going 20 mph. Either way is NOT FUN.

Other low-clearance bridges exist on several segments of US-1, and I once saw an 18-wheeler attempt to creep underneath one near Exit 61 with a spotter outside. The bridge would have taken off his stacks and opened his trailer like a can of sardines if he had not taken as much caution as he did. Traffic was a mess for only 20 minutes and he was able to back up and turn into a nearby lumber supply co. entrance to get turned around.

So, point is, do not be complacent with those bridge clearances. Ever since the era of Governor William O'Neil and the 1983 bridge collapse, CT has been vigilant about the upkeep of their bridges. You're not in the Empire State anymore. The sign's measurement is face value.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Board Regular

NY don't measure the same way as CT. does.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicmechnic
that's for sure,

i drove my 13' 6" trailer under a 12' subway overpass in NY then just down the road i did get under a 12' 4" overpass but hit a bump in the road and tapped the trailer " no damage"
Old 03-24-2007, 12:16 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

I came face to face with 12.9 bridge in NY state near buffalo on some bum ****** route up there due to directions being bad,BUT i was able to go under it with still about foot clearance so that was ok...also when getting in to the Long Island on Varezano bridge every overpass that i came to was below 13.6 and those are the ones on interstates.. :shock:

I run Chicago-L.A now so thats the least of my worries
Old 03-24-2007, 01:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Ya gotta watch the signs AND look ahead! I was in Ma. following my directions :roll: on a single lane and saw the sign for my left coming up, so I slow and take a look & it just didn't look right( it was dark). I flipped the on the spotlight :shock: it's a damn wood covered bridge about 30' past the turn! so much for directions :lol:
Old 03-25-2007, 04:14 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicmechnic
I'm told "most" (many?) NY bridges are marked at least a foot lower than what you can get under them. Is that brain dead or what :shock: ? The L.I.E. is a real hoot to travel down unless you know it :roll: .
Old 03-28-2007, 01:16 AM

Quote:
I'm told "most" (many?) NY bridges are marked at least a foot lower than what you can get under them. Is that brain dead or what ?

It is New York State law that the "legal" clearance be one foot shorter than the "measured" clearance. The real heights are sometimes 2 feet or more than the posted heights. It is against the law to cross under a bridge if your truck is taller than the posted height but drivers creep under and check.

I suppose that when truck drivers that operated exclusively in NY go to other states and see posted bridge heights up to about 10 inches shorter than they know their trucks are, they don't give it a second thought. :roll: The posted heights have very little to do with reality in NY so why not everywhere else? :? :?
Old 03-28-2007, 05:02 AM
Board Regular

NY bridge height,

1. NY's general rule of thumb is, If the bridge height says 12'6" it is actually 13'6".

2. If the sign say "Actual Clearance" 12'9" Then that bridge is that actual height. 12'9" not 13'9".

Why I dont know, but when I was on 278 in NYC I saw a sign that said 12'2" and I flew right under it. NY definitly needs to change their sign without a doubt.

Use those rules as general rules of thumb.

Hope that makes sense.

And...........

Welcome to the Empire State......