User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
If the sign say "Actual Clearance" 12'9" Then that bridge is that actual height. 12'9" not 13'9".
I've heard/read that before but I've never seen a sign that read "Actual Clearance". Where are these bridges? The way I read the vehicle and traffic law, that is not allowed. In NY, if the height of the bridge is 14' or taller, there need not be a height posted by the law so signs that read 13'X are unnecessary.

I'd like to see another state sue NY for damages because of this lunacy. Maybe truckers can organize a "civil obedience" rally where a line of truck/trailers take the NY state designated route to Long Island and park because it is illegal to cross under the bridge in the route. :lol: :lol:
Old 03-29-2007, 04:06 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
I've heard/read that before but I've never seen a sign that read "Actual Clearance".
Yeah theres not to many. there is one up here in upstate NY on I 87 by exit 6. A few years ago a truck hit the bridge on this major interstate. I dont remember the details, but ever since then they posted that new sign.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapchap70
I'd like to see another state sue NY for damages because of this lunacy.:lol:
I wish someone would. It would stop giving truckers bad rep.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Rookie

The way I learned it, is that some of the New England states measure the lowest clearance of an overpass from the curb height, not from the surface of the roadway. Curb heights vary from one place to another.

Watch the signs along the road. Some states tell you what the measurement is, and how it's made (check the signs along the PA turnpike). Other states don't tell you; you're supposed to know.

The only source I can think of that many drivers might normally be expected to have on hand, it the Commercial Drivers Atlas. Check the sections at the front, before the maps. There is a section devoted to the states; plan your route from here to there; then check the pages relating to each state you will drive through. The information is there.

I haven't hit one yet (knock on wood). I've had a couple of tense moments, but haven't hit one.
Registered Linux user #170078

Christmas! What other time of the year do you sit in front of a dead tree, and eat candy out of your socks!
Old 04-06-2007, 11:49 PM
Board Regular

speaking of NY, I was stuck in the left lane on a three lane road when suddenly just after one bridge marked 13'6 was one marked 11'6 I about had a heart attack went all the way to a creep and got over in the middle lane which was marked 13'4, I look back and the rest of the trucks went right under the 11'6..

Its funny I leaned down in the seat like I was about to get a buzz cut.l
Old 04-08-2007, 02:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicmechnic
NY don't measure the same way as CT. does.
that's for sure,

i drove my 13' 6" trailer under a 12' subway overpass in NY then just down the road i did get under a 12' 4" overpass but hit a bump in the road and tapped the trailer " no damage"
I'm just curious if they measure from the shoulder? I could see along the BQE that the shoulder part of the bridge might be 12 feet but the first time I seen it It scared the crap out of me, lol.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeshock
Quote:
Originally Posted by flood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicmechnic
NY don't measure the same way as CT. does.
that's for sure,

i drove my 13' 6" trailer under a 12' subway overpass in NY then just down the road i did get under a 12' 4" overpass but hit a bump in the road and tapped the trailer " no damage"
I'm just curious if they measure from the shoulder? I could see along the BQE that the shoulder part of the bridge might be 12 feet but the first time I seen it It scared the crap out of me, lol.
Not sure if this is true sorry can not verify I was told NY measures from the center of first set of drive axels. I was told the reason they do that is fifth wheels height varys which in turn makes trailor higher or lower.
Also note NY rarely post a sign that says actual. So if anyone knows this is true and can confirm that would be great for all of us.