User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 04:38 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Agree with what everyone says so far.. just one of those deals you have to deal with. I would always bring a good book and the knowledge that I would be sitting on my a$$ for a good 5-6 hours or more while they d%^&ed around when they could have been unloading me. Resist the urge to tell them that you could hop on the forklift or grab the pallet jack and accomplish the job in 10% of the time that it takes them. Also, you gotta love the whole "gotta count your freight" deal... :roll: just so you can't grab any zzz's while you are basically hostaged at their dock.

As someone else mentioned, however, it's a bit of a power-trip for some ex-con that is making all of minimum wage for his futile efforts in the brief hiatus that he is enjoying before he goes back to the cooler. Put your best George W. smirk on your face and enjoy the fact that while he is back in the can again in a couple of months giving it up to Lamont you will be happily cruising down the highway. :lol:
Old 03-24-2007, 05:35 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman
Unless grocery warehouses have changed their practices in the years since I have been to one, truck drivers ARE stupid idiots for going there.

As evidenced by this:
Quote:
you're getting f*cked every time you get stuck at one and often have to pay for the privilege.
What kind of dummy would subject himself to the crap that goes on in grocery warehouses? That crap goes on because truck drivers put up with it.
------------------------------------------------
Freight is Freight.
But I do see your point somewhat. I sometimes feel stupid for running Reefer....and Trucking period at times, for that matter. Then I realize...people like this exist...EVERYWHERE.....not just at Grocery Warehouses.

Here is the catch for me.
No.1...as mentioned...Company Driver's haul what they are given to haul. We are only trying to make a dollar...and certainly do not need disrespect from anyone.
Most outbound loads for me are Frozen fruit. I get some Dry loads outbound...even an occational Flatbed load.

No.2...When you live in Northern Michigan...and I'm sure many States are similar...Reefer is your best option to run a load and keep working. If I were to run only Dry or Flats out of my area...I would be out of work A LOT.

As it is...we deadhead far more than most City Based Companies.
I'm not stupid, and I'm not a dummy...for living where I live, or for what I choose to do for a living...and I make a good paycheck. My best week was $1700...that's stupid.... :lol: INSANE...really. :P

To be fair...I run to many Warehouses...that are decent...as well. Some are even friendly, and enjoyable clients. They help make up for the ignorant.

Bottomline... you do need to develope a thick skin.

I'm on my way right now to Riverside, California...from Traverse City, Michigan. I'm hauling 43k of Frozen Cherries. 2400 miles...it will take me 3 1/2 days, and I will make $990...and already have a reload right back to Frankfort, Michigan...leaving a 50 mile DH. I don't know my cut coming back...but it's always less.
Reefer has its good side too...and keeps me very busy. (I like that)