Old 03-21-2007, 11:10 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicmechnic
Quote:
Originally Posted by VÖLUND
if a company can make a higher profit margin by exposing their truck drivers to conventional fuels then they will do that.
In some countries, filling stations sell bio-diesel more cheaply than conventional diesel.
The amount of up front cost to replace an entire fleet of conventional fuel burning trucks not to mention having to add bio-fuel stations would be costly but in the long run it makes sense for all sides concerned.

There is also the added benefit that hybrid cars can be built to last longer than their conventional-fuel burning cousins.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Hate to bust your bubble, but those hybrids that are being developed are Diesel Electric - same setup as a train. They have a diesel engine connected to a huge generator. The generator then powers electric engines.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Hate to bust your bubble, but those hybrids that are being developed are Diesel Electric - same setup as a train. They have a diesel engine connected to a huge generator. The generator then powers electric engines.
Yes, that is why they are called "hybrids" they don't eliminate the use of fuel entirely. They do however lessen the frequency which a vehicle must solely rely on conventional fuel or bio-fuel for locomotion. If you can cut down on the use of conventional fuels even by the slightest of margins we will be doing vastly better than we are now. Both in terms of the drivers health, your kids health and the planets health. Burning one tank of gas versus four is better no matter if they still choose to use diesel or not.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
what a joke
I want the old turn the fuel pump up your self motors with the black smoke rollin out the pipes now that was truckin 8)
Mackman I read somewhere that Mack had a hybrid version of the Granite and that the Air Force was using it.
I did read that allso i forgetg which trucking mag. it was i get so many of them in the mail. It had a picture of a blue granite right??
Yeah it was blue but it din't look exactly like a normal Granite.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Correct that is one way but there will be others.
"Commercial Vehicle Hydrogen Fuel Enhancement There are numerous Companies in the commercial trucking industry that are utilizing Hydrogen to enhance the burning of Diesel fuel. The most successful emerging Company in this field appears to be Hy-Drive Technologies Ltd., which is poised to go into full production of an on-demand Hydrogen Fuel Enhancement "HGS" that is specifically designed for long distance trucking applications."
http://www.waterfuelconverters.com/
Old 03-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Senior Board Member

When you factor in the polution it takes to make a hybrid car, overall they pollute more than gas engines. I am sure hybrid trucks are no different. I just read an article today which showed that when factoring the total pollution from manufacturing to life of the car, the Toyota Prius outdoes the hummer H2 in total eviromental damage. Cracked me up when I think of all the greenies driving hybrids thinking they helping when they are actually hurting the enviroment. Hybrid cars ARE NOT about helping the enviroment. They are about helping the liberals feel better about themselves even if they arent helping. SYMBOLISM over SUBSTANCE.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Rookie
Default That's exactly my thought too....

That's exactly my thought too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicmechnic
Quote:
Originally Posted by VÖLUND
if a company can make a higher profit margin by exposing their truck drivers to conventional fuels then they will do that.
In some countries, filling stations sell bio-diesel more cheaply than conventional diesel.

For example, fuel containing 20% biodiesel is labeled B20. Pure biodiesel is referred to as B100.

Biodiesel is a renewable fuel that can be manufactured from algae, vegetable oils, animal fats or recycled restaurant greases; it can be produced locally in most countries. It is safe, biodegradable and reduces air pollutants, such as particulates, carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons. Blends of 20 percent biodiesel with 80 percent petroleum diesel (B20) can generally be used in unmodified diesel engines. Biodiesel can also be used in its pure form (B100), but may require certain engine modifications to avoid maintenance and performance problems.

Biodiesel can be used in pure form (B100) or may be blended with petroleum diesel at any concentration in most modern diesel engines. Biodiesel will degrade natural rubber gaskets and hoses in vehicles (mostly found in vehicles manufactured before 1992), although these tend to wear out naturally and most likely will have already been replaced with FKM, which is nonreactive to biodiesel.

Gelling
The temperature at which pure (B100) biodiesel starts to gel varies significantly and depends upon the mix of esters and therefore the feedstock oil used to produce the biodiesel. For example, biodiesel produced from low erucic acid varieties of canola seed (RME) starts to gel at approximately -10 °C. Biodiesel produced from tallow tends to gel at around +16 °C. As of 2006, there are a very limited number of products that will significantly lower the gel point of straight biodiesel. One such product, Wintron XC30, has been shown to reduce the gel point of pure biodiesel fuels.