Old 03-22-2007, 03:53 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
I don't think that is necessarily dangerous but as a driver you have some pretty big fears about things that can happened to you, like blowing a steer or the trailers un-coupling.
YOU'RE THE ONE THAT JINXED ME!!!!!!

I lost my trailer this morning... Let's just say that I never want to go through that again...
I know that feeling! :shock: I used to pull end dumps regionally, home every weekend, and we parked the trucks (about 25-30) in the owners yard over the weekend. Went to leave out one Sunday evening, had to hook up to my trailer that had some work done on the hydraulic lines, over the weekend. Well, I tugged, then went to get out and do a visual check. The owner was coming out to chat and managed to check before I could get out. He told me I was good, but I checked anyway. I chatted with him for about 15 minutes, get 1 1/2 miles down the road, turn left onto the get on ramp and come to an immediate stop. Blocked both oncoming lanes in the intersection. :shock: Called owner and police. He told the cop that we both checked - no ticket. Found out later that the manufacturer said that some of their 5th wheels were defective. So I know all about it.

Hopefully, things will be better next week. As you know, Murphy's Law seems to really be prevalent in trucking.

:wink:
Old 03-22-2007, 07:07 AM
Rookie
Default Re: Is trucking dangerous???

Quote:
Originally Posted by wot i life
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungZ.W.

What would happen if the redairline snapped? I know its a rookie question but sorry ops: :?:
The trailer brakes lock up and your tractor is still trying to pull the bloody thing at 56mph....Only ever heard of it happening once; young driver who did not do daily checks and failed to see tiny split in line. Dead now :sad:
Used to work opposite shifts to an "very experienced" (as he said) driver. He took a load to a very tight delivery in Dundee. Needed to jack the trailer right around until the cab is almost touching. Needless to say this put a strain on the lines.

This one day the red line had semi-seperated from the connector and instead of spending the 10 mins it would have taken him to switch it over, he wrapped electrical tape around it and drove back to the depot. Picked up another load for down on the coast. A total trip of only around 150 miles but with the air still leaking from the line. It could have gone at any second and he could have killed himself or worse some innocent other.

Needless to say, when i went in to start my shift, during the daily check noticed the tape and it was me who had to swap out the line. :evil: :evil:

I wassick and tired of clearing his mess in the cab too, this was the last straw. Reported it and got another "partner" a couple days later.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wot i life
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungZ.W.
what is your biggest fear while driving?
Red airline snapping. Scary.....
NOT FUN at all. i was going north on I-24 in TN. mile 120 when a truck (50 yards) up the road blow a trailer tire. gater all over the road. so as i was slowing down and (missing the BIG chunks ) i hit a little one (about 1" x 8") well the little SOB hit the airline at the back of my trailer and snap it off the air valve. 15sec later trailer brakes locked up.
the trailer was mt so it was all over the road. i did get it off the road and not hit anyone or anything.

dumb... saw a driver sliding his tamdems at a truckstop one day, didn't think about it at the time but 2hr's later i saw him on the side of the road (cop's & tow truck) his trailer had NO tamdems..? he had forgot to relock them and when he was going down the road he hit the brakes hard (car cut him off) the tamdems just slid out the back of his trailer no one was hurt.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flood

dumb... saw a driver sliding his tamdems at a truckstop one day, didn't think about it at the time but 2hr's later i saw him on the side of the road (cop's & tow truck) his trailer had NO tamdems..? he had forgot to relock them and when he was going down the road he hit the brakes hard (car cut him off) the tamdems just slid out the back of his trailer no one was hurt.
That's gotta suck. Remember to check everything, because the smallest oversight can be costly.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Board Regular

I have had the steer blowout happen!
Did alot of damage to the tractor, but i wasn't out of control or anything.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy
I have had the steer blowout happen!
Did alot of damage to the tractor, but i wasn't out of control or anything.
Call me lucky or whatever, but I've never had a steer blow out on me. Fortunately! :wink: One day, Norton, one day! :shock:
Old 03-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
Quote:
Originally Posted by VÖLUND
As occupational hazards go, truck driving has its share of hazards. It's clearly going to be more dangerous than your typical office job. But like some others were saying, an office worker could just as easily die from driving to and from work everyday.

There are ways you can reduce the risks involved somewhat. First among them is to never become complacent. Hubris and complacency are conducive to hard learned lessons, that is to say your odds of becoming a statistic go way up when you think you've learned everything there is to be learned.

But more optimistically if you remain a vigilant person and you're willing to maintain a healthy respect for the dangerous job you do that should go a long way to keeping you safe and reducing the odds of an accident. There are of course things which are entirely out of your control, like other drivers and force majeures.
Is that a Fact Volund(Or should I say Oppland) where you haven't driven a Foot yet.

Was THIS "outing" necessary, Scooter? (I mean Yoopr?) I don't recall reading the rule that one HAD to be a driver to participate on this board. I found the referenced post well written, thoughtful and helpful.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
Is that a Fact Volund(Or should I say Oppland) where you haven't driven a Foot yet.

Was THIS "outing" necessary, Scooter? (I mean Yoopr?) I don't recall reading the rule that one HAD to be a driver to participate on this board. I found the referenced post well written, thoughtful and helpful.
If you have a problem with the moderators pointing out members who use multiple usernames, then the place to take it up is via PM. :roll:
Old 03-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

If someone has 2 identites I believe we're entitled to the information. It may affect their credibility. Look how long we were scammed by novacane. I'll agree though that the post was intelligent. And I'll concede the poster is new and may not have liked their first choice in names.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:10 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:

If you have a problem with the moderators pointing out members who use multiple usernames, then the place to take it up is via PM. :roll:
You know, Rev.... I STARTED to add the caveat that I KNEW he was within his rights (yoopr, I mean) because the TOS forbids multiple usernames. But, I thought we ALL understood that. Perhaps, I didn't account for YOU. :P

I was under the impression that, if such a violation of the rules were taking place, the MODS would warn the offender BY PM. I see no reason for them to do so in public. And, even if they DO feel that the public forum is the place to do it, I see no reason for them to be condescending about it.

If, as Snowman says, we are "entitled" to know about someone using multiple identities (something that SHOULDN'T even be happening,) then simply INFORM US. Impugning someone's experience based on "insider knowledge," instead of just deleting their post, is IMHO malevolent at BEST.

The mods have SUPER powers, and with that comes higher responsibility and accountability. I have MUCH respect for the mods on this board, and that includes the YOOP!

IIRC, YOU have had it out with Yoopr in PM's before. Something about threats? Personally, I have run afoul of him only once that I know of, and his PM to me was "cordial." I believe I thanked him for that!

I have only limited "issues" with Yoopr, and NONE with any other MOD. Perhaps, that is reflective of their individual "styles" (or level of activity.) If a mod contacts ME by PM, I respond in kind. If a MOD were to insult me in the open on the board? I would respond in kind. You GET what you GIVE in this life. Every trucker knows that.

I've read the TOS. One thing it says (besides the copyright issue) is that WE should not attempt to ACT as MODS, if we aren't one. I'll thank YOU to remember that. I don't go around asking for threads to be locked, or posters to be banned. That's not my job. OUR little "debates" notwithstanding, I'll thank you to NOT treat ME as a noobie that needs your "instruction" or "training" concerning the TOS.

I TOLD you that I will defend ANYONE when I feel they deserve defending. I don't know VOLUND/OPPLAND from Adam or Dawn. You REALLY need to get that GOD complex of yours in check!

Now.... are we having FUN yet??? :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.